Northop XB-35/YB-49 Build

having all those people in there makes it look a little less roomy! but it's still quite a roomy looking airplane.

Is that starboard cushion in the front without someone currently on it for someone to lie face down upon?

yes a bombardier lies on the cushion and operates the bomb sight I though the navigator would double in that position but I guess not. as wikipedia says

question for everyone:

what should the release name be?

XB-35
Northrop XB-35
B-35
etc.

I want the name to make sense and fit into and also be EASILY searchable on the swaps. I search my B-52H Stratofortress with the search term B-52 it is on page 182 ish. there are some terms that work better but looking from a Newbie's perspective who wants X plane and a general just return the most recent uploads because the following words were not included in your search because they are too short, too long, or too common: B when it is literally part of the name

I dont want to rant too much about the old swaps being better. it is almost impossible to see other av's and cs's for built in planes. the search is very difficult use. googling B-52 site:www.knifeedge.com/forums/index.php?resources/ works better than using the sites built in searches

HMMM, that`s a tough one Legoman I would go with Northrop B-35 (dropping the X, no real need for it...???) HA Ha, space boy just posted his reply including the "X" as I was typing this, but, I do agree, one or the other is the most descriptive as space boy indicates, not sure adding "flying wing" to either of them would help, would make for a long name for sure, BUT, would cover all the bases in a search, be it JUST "flying wing" OR, B-35 etc....younger generations/new members might just search "flying wing/s",..WHILE us older gen. folks would probably search for the names you`ve mentioned above, but that is just a generalization, it really could go either way...??? :unsure: :unsure:

Last edited:
wow. I wonder if that tail gunner guy ever got nervous about the center turret aiming so close over his head. I hope it's over his head!
It might scare them at first, but it is my understanding that the plane could allocate the seven turrets as need between the three gunners two on periscopes and one gunner in the bubble. and that the guns would not fire if they would hit the plane or get aimed by a different gunner.

example
one gunner engaging a bandit at 2 o-clock high with the center and right dorsal
one gunner engaging a bandit at 11 o-clock low with the center and right ventral
tail gunner engaging a bandit 7 o-clock middle(?)with the left wing and tail guns

then if the tail gunner finishes off the bandit first then the left wing guns would transition to firing for the other two gunners

It might scare them at first, but it is my understanding that the plane could allocate the seven turrets as need between the three gunners two on periscopes and one gunner in the bubble. and that the guns would not fire if they would hit the plane or get aimed by a different gunner.

example
one gunner engaging a bandit at 2 o-clock high with the center and right dorsal
one gunner engaging a bandit at 11 o-clock low with the center and right ventral
tail gunner engaging a bandit 7 o-clock middle(?)with the left wing and tail guns

then if the tail gunner finishes off the bandit first then the left wing guns would transition to firing for the other two gunners
oh cooool!

A more up to date map.

do we still want the a heli as the next build? or something else off my list?
Seaplane
Do-26
Dornier Seastar
Martin Mars
Berliev Be-200
Kawanishi H6K4
BlackBurn B-20

Bomber
XB-43 or XB-42
Tu-22M3
B-66
RB-57F Canberra