P-39 Airacobra EP

After thinking about it I really hadn't done any work in the temporary file I was using to fix the angle brace problem and that file was the latest version when I created it to play with. So I decided to use it and save myself a lot of work. So the angle brace fix is in the main file set now so I can move on the something else. Thanks goes out again to @legoman for helping me get it fixed, the angle brace really adds to the look of the plane so I sure didn't want to loose. So thanks @legoman, you're the man.

I've been putting it off but it's about time to start working on the physics. I have to admit the Brooklyn Bum CS looks really good and may end up being the release CS. I was going to do something I like that isn't a real CS but I'm wearing down on this project so I may not. You never know with me I go back and fourth all the time.

For quite a while now I've been doing one thing backwards, and that's doing the 1x1 mapping. I'm so interested in seeing the plane painted I end up doing the color scheme before I do the 1x1 mapping. And this plane isn't any different. So rather than start working on the physics I started the 1x1 mapping this morning. I have everything done except the fuselage, so once I do that I'll be finished. Which is another backwards thing since I used to always do the fuselage first. But in recent builds the fuselage seemed to require more tweaking than the other parts so I started doing it last, since the other parts where the easiest.

I think this plane is turning out pretty nice. It's not scale but it sure looks like a P-39 Airacobra. And I like flying fun fly planes the best.

I just finished with the 1x1 mapping and updated the color scheme with the new mask. There are a few areas that changed position enough I'll need to touch up the color scheme but I'll do that later, right now it's break time. But it's always nice to get the 1x1 mapping out of the way. And the fuselage did have a lot of tweaks so I'm glad I waited till the end to do it.

Ugh. I thought I'd work on the physics this morning, avoiding making the changes to the color scheme the 1x1 mapping caused. But after I worked on it for a while I realized I hadn't done the final alignment of the plane to the grid in the 3d editor. So I wasted my time working on the physics. I thought I aligned the plane to the grid already, ha.. my typical screw up. Bummer. So I'll play a game instead.

After I calmed down from wasting my time this morning on the physics I went back and aligned the plane to the grid and worked on the physics again. I got all the parts resized and moved to fit the P-39 so now I need to work on the flight physics. So at least I got what I wanted to do done even though it took me an extra step. Only one of the grid positions was wrong. I align the leading edge of the wing to the center of grid but I hadn't done that since I made all the changes to the plane. The thrust line x and y were correct. So no big deal just some wasted time.

That is interesting, do you set the wing leading-edge Z axis to 0 0 0.? (Centre of grid).
Do you have a screenshot of aircraft and grid setup.
Here you go. Did I explain it correctly? I often tend to explain stuff wrong. How do you center yours?

PX-39 37.jpgPX-39 38.jpg

The PX-39 doesn't have a full cockpit but I did create a small instrument panel. I'll probably tweak it a little. Vertically the gauges might be a little too full, so tighten them up just a little. I always tend to notice something after I post a picture.

PX-39 40.jpg

Last edited:
Back