P-39 Airacobra EP

I made the wing stripes a little narrower and increased the angle on the fuselage stripes. Is it okay now? Or does something still need to be tweaked? (are the wing stripes okay) And what about the color difference between the pictures of the real plane? Take a look at the pictures here and help me decide which base color to go with. ( there's quite a few of the Brooklyn Bum there)

Oops I just realized I made the wing stripes go all the way to the fuselage, so I need to shorten them a little at the fuselage.

https://www.jetphotos.com/aircraft/Bell+P-39+Airacobra

PX-39 29.jpgPX-39 30.jpg

I added some more decals so I thought I'd post another picture before I go to bed.. The decals aren't super sharp so I may try to use the sharpen tool to see if it will help, but sometimes it makes them a bit blocky when they're not real sharp to begin with. Let me know how they look to you. And thanks goes to @uncle twist for grabbing them and cutting them out for me.

PX-39 32.jpg

@rcdoski Will this work?

The smaller pilot and crew decals were to blurry to use so I left them off. I'm going to try two things to see if I can improve it any. I'll try a sharpen on the decals and see if there's any way to strengthen the colors to make them standout a little more.

PX-39 33.jpg

It's really looking good. If you want to shorten the cannon a bit go ahead. But yes the decals really add to it. Very nice!
Okay cool. I think I'll shorten the cannon a little bit, it seems to stick out a bit too far. I was hoping you'd like it, this CS is for you. I may end up creating a custom CS for me to release it with.

You didn't have to make a special scheme for me. When I mentioned it I was just saying it's one I liked. I was just curious as to what scheme you were going to go with. But since you're doing it I definitely am not going to turn it down. Thank you and I hope the other guys like this CS also. I'm thinking uncle twist does.

@uncle twist You're definitely right, a P-39 isn't a P-39 without the cannon. Thanks for the nudge to add it. Do you think I should shorten it a tiny bit?
Well the cannon appears to have varying lengths (see pics.), BUT, this "is" the "Brooklyn Bum" we`re dealing with here, so you`d want to try and stay true to that plane. I`m not sure if the one on the plane is a dummy or not, (see the close up), that cannon appears to be just a tube with a flange on it, screwed to the spinner, whereas other pics. I`ve seen, appear to have the cannon protruding from the spinner. Anyway, as you can see the one on the Bum is short, so if you`re going to shorten, make by very little. On a side note, you have to rotate the clove/horseshoe graphic on the door. And redoski, yes I do ;) ;):)

Attachments

• CANNON 5.PNG
    CANNON 5.PNG
    615.1 KB · Views: 5
  • CANNON 4.PNG
    CANNON 4.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • CANNON 3.PNG
    CANNON 3.PNG
    524.6 KB · Views: 5
  • cannon 2.PNG
    cannon 2.PNG
    714.4 KB · Views: 6
  • CANNON 6.PNG
    CANNON 6.PNG
    71.5 KB · Views: 6
  • cannon.PNG
    cannon.PNG
    409.6 KB · Views: 6
Well the cannon appears to have varying lengths (see pics.), BUT, this "is" the "Brooklyn Bum" we`re dealing with here, so you`d want to try and stay true to that plane. I`m not sure if the one on the plane is a dummy or not, (see the close up), that cannon appears to be just a tube with a flange on it, screwed to the spinner, whereas other pics. I`ve seen, appear to have the cannon protruding from the spinner. Anyway, as you can see the one on the Bum is short, so if you`re going to shorten, make by very little. On a side note, you have to rotate the clove/horseshoe graphic on the door. And redoski, yes I do ;) ;):)
Yeah I've got lots of pictures of it and the cannon length varies a lot. Of course there are different cannons too so that's probably why the cannon length is so different between the pictures. And I'm sure you're right about the cannon being just a tube with a flange on the Bum. I shortened it 10%, so not much just barely enough to notice. At this point I don't think the Bum will be the release cs so the cannon change was mostly for me. Some of them are real long. It looks like some of the planes have a sleeve around the cannon and others don't. I have a video of the cannon firing and it retracts for each round, kind of a cool video. It's in black and white too.

You didn't have to make a special scheme for me. When I mentioned it I was just saying it's one I liked. I was just curious as to what scheme you were going to go with. But since you're doing it I definitely am not going to turn it down. Thank you and I hope the other guys like this CS also. I'm thinking uncle twist does.
I like that cs a lot I'm just not fond of the white stripes. But it looks great and still might end up being on the released plane, it just depends on what catches my eye. I'm looking at several others and maybe even a custom cs just for me.

I have a video of the cannon firing and it retracts for each round
I suspect that "recoils" would be a better description. I suspect that if the barrel weren't designed to allow it to recoil, it might shake the airframe apart. I hope I'm not trying to teach my grandma to suck eggs, but the recoil spreads out the shock over time for each shot, lessening the impact on the airframe.

It looks like the cannon is mounted on a rail perhaps with sprigs.. hard to tell??? to allow it to recoil. I also find the engine/driveshaft/gearbox an engineering feat.

Attachments

• CANNON 7.PNG
    CANNON 7.PNG
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
  • CANNON 8.PNG
    CANNON 8.PNG
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • CANNON 9.PNG
    CANNON 9.PNG
    2.3 MB · Views: 6
  • cannon 10.PNG
    cannon 10.PNG
    319.2 KB · Views: 6
I suspect that "recoils" would be a better description. I suspect that if the barrel weren't designed to allow it to recoil, it might shake the airframe apart. I hope I'm not trying to teach my grandma to suck eggs, but the recoil spreads out the shock over time for each shot, lessening the impact on the airframe.
Sure, recoil is a better word for it. I didn't think of using it.

It looks like the cannon is mounted on a rail perhaps with sprigs.. hard to tell??? to allow it to recoil. I also find the engine/driveshaft/gearbox an engineering feat.
Yeah definitely a cool plane. I seem to remember one of my early planes had the engine sitting far away from the prop, for weight distribution. I don't remember the name though.

Back