Panning/Tilting camera issues

Could that "no available center positon" for 2-position switches somehow be involved here, or in the thread I tried to find? Also, I noticed that in the ini files, channels are numbered 0-9 for my InterLink-X, but show as 1-10 in the software. I assume that if I'm trying to manually mess with CH6, I'd need to adjust the min/center/max 5 numbers. As a PC tech who built his first microcomputer in 1977, I understand that... but it would be very likely to confuse the average user. Or am I the one who's confused that 1-9 match up but CH10 is saved as 0 in the ini file - which seems unlikely.

i know on the old interlinks it was that way channel 1-10 mapped to 0-9. but looking at the calibrations for both my and Uncle Twists interlink dx's the numbers past the number of proportional channels on the dx all seemed like on off switches given that they all read similar values and that 5 and 6 looked bad which in my logic might have been the problem slider(s). maybe that was a bad assumption (we all know what those do) but i didn't have my interlink dx to change numbers and see what happens with changes.

@uncle twist, it does sound like calibration in RealFlight is not completing successfully for the slider. It should be as simple as centering all the controls--including the sliders--before beginning calibration, then moving them to their extents when instructed. The bouncing around and going from centered to full left/right at the merest touch of the control is typical for a channel that is uncalibrated. But it shouldn't be that way after a successful calibration.

If the calibration dialog says you have only calibrated X out of X channels, that means it wasn't able to detect the expected kinds of changes for one or more channels, and they will not be calibrated if you continue. That can happen if you straight up forget one (it happens!), or if you don't center all of the controls when instructed (sliders are particularly easy to miss). Of course it can happen if you fail to exercise a channel throughout its full range during the appropriate step. And it could happen if a hardware problem is messing up a channel's output.

Do I understand correctly that you attempted a calibration in Windows early on in this process? We don't recommend that. We only ever calibrate in RealFlight. I wonder if a bad calibration there is at the root of your problems? RealFlight can only see what Windows sends to it, and if that one slider is badly calibrated in Windows, perhaps the jumpiness and switch-like behavior comes from there? I have no idea if there's a way to clear a calibration in Windows, but it might be worth exploring. If not, it might be worth reattempting the calibration there to see if you can get a better outcome.

Do you or anybody you know have a different computer where you could try the same controller and see if you experience the same issues? That would go a long way toward diagnosing whether it's a hardware problem with that unit or whether things have just gotten into a really bad state on your PC.
Hi Ryan , thanks for the reply, Well, yes, I did try calibrating in windows, which is pretty confusing, I think it`s more meant for gaming controllers, more than RC TX`s...??? BUT YES, something could have gone wrong there on my part and I`m kind of afraid to try it again because their instructions are sorta vague for a RC TX. Anyway, I tried blowing out the gimbals and sliders a couple weeks ago and then recalibrating in RF, and that seemed to have worked (not sure if it was one or both of those), but the left slider is the only thing not working at this point after having gone through the centering/calibrating process several times.....NOPE, I don`t have access to another computer, so that`s out, and as far as my computer, it`s only about two yrs old, SO, I would guess that`s not the problem..???.......... BUT, back to the original post, the panning tilting issue, My sliders were working properly at the start of this thread, what the real problem was,...was the shaking going on in the cockpit camera view on my F-86 AV, you can either see the shaking going on there OR in the editor when you highlight that camera. You can also see the shaking in Legomans Breezy, it`s more prevalent in the editor because there`s no windscreen in front of the pilot and his flying wings guns/cameras, with the guns, you can visually see them shaking slightly in RF as long as they`re not in a locked position (full lft/rt/up or down). It seems whatever is attached to a moveable pod is having that issue/shaking happening to it, That`s what I would like you to look into. Me and Legoman went over it in the first page and a 1/2 of this thread,.. reread that please for a better understanding of what he recommend I try/tried doing. Thanks again for getting back to me... :) :)

Last edited:
Ah, I skimmed a little and thought it had been tracked down to that badly calibrated or faulty slider.

I downloaded the AV and took a closer look. I actually see almost no jittering in the sim. I expect it would vary some from setup to setup. At any rate, with the camera component selected in the editor, the view projection wireframe makes it easier to detect.

The sliders are typically the noisiest input channels, and that's what's making it move around a little bit. Further, you've set the camera (well, movable pod) up with a pretty wide range of motion, so any small variations in the input value cause relatively large movements.

For comparison, you can change the tilt & pan servo inputs to switches and you should see it become rock solid.

Slowing down those two camera servos (by increasing their "Servo Speed" property) would help damp that effect somewhat, but it may be that no values offer an acceptable compromise between speed and steadiness.

I don't think it's a bug, just a problem of input noise. I don't know that there's a magic bullet solution for what you're trying to do. If you do find a good way to mitigate it, please share!

Ah, I skimmed a little and thought it had been tracked down to that badly calibrated or faulty slider.

I downloaded the AV and took a closer look. I actually see almost no jittering in the sim. I expect it would vary some from setup to setup. At any rate, with the camera component selected in the editor, the view projection wireframe makes it easier to detect.

The sliders are typically the noisiest input channels, and that's what's making it move around a little bit. Further, you've set the camera (well, movable pod) up with a pretty wide range of motion, so any small variations in the input value cause relatively large movements.

For comparison, you can change the tilt & pan servo inputs to switches and you should see it become rock solid.

Slowing down those two camera servos (by increasing their "Servo Speed" property) would help damp that effect somewhat, but it may be that no values offer an acceptable compromise between speed and steadiness.

I don't think it's a bug, just a problem of input noise. I don't know that there's a magic bullet solution for what you're trying to do. If you do find a good way to mitigate it, please share!
Thanks Ryan, I`ll look into the "servo speeds", I might have tried that already, not sure/don`t recall :unsure: :unsure: .....However, I did try "restoring to defaults" in Windows as per the instructions in the link that Legoman posted (post #61), AND THEN, recalibrating in RF, with no results, BUT, the next day, I fired up RF, AND, the F-86 was taxiing down the runway with no throttle input at all, SO, I figured it`s time to recalibrate again in RF.....I finally got some response in the first step, centering the left slider..... (before, it was either going full left/rt., no in between), This time I was able to get it real close to centered in the first step, Then onto the second step, went through all the motions. I couldn`t get it exactly centered on/in the bar graph step, (it was still twitching a little) BUT darn close, somewhere between 45/55 I`d say,....... I went ahead and "finished" and went back into RF to check it out....... I was able to stop the camera just slightly left of center, BUT I still couldn`t stop it anywhere else between "center and full lft or full rt... I can just stop it in the center position. SO, I`ll try recalibrating again in RF, when I get off my lazy six. The "tilt" inputs still work fine, I can stop the camera anywhere between full up/ down...........RE: switching to switches, I wanted full range up/down, lft/rt., thus the sliders, BUT, I`m sure your right about using switches,.

Oh sure, I wasn't suggesting you set it up on switches for regular use. I mentioned it merely as a way of demonstrating that the movement is coming from changing input values. Sorry if that was unclear! :)

Not a problem Ryan, I knew what you meant.......SO, I finally got the DX calibrated, everything is at 50% on the bar/graph in the second step in RF calibrating.....In the first step when everything should be centered, the left slider was responding better than before, I finally got it centered, albeit I had to hold it, it was still a little twitchy, got where I thought that it was good, and clicked finish. Went onto step two, and everything responded as it should 🎇🎇🎆🎆......I can`t say for sure what worked, BUT, as I stated earlier, I think it was the link that Legoman posted, instructing how to set Windows calibrating back to its default setting, once I had done that, things started getting better, after three attempts recalibrating in RF, all was good........ I think it should be noted that, "I think" that when/after setting Windows calibrating back to the/its default setting, either RF OR the Computer, OR both should be shut down and restarted. AFTER I had done that, I started getting a lot better results in RF calibrating again........SOOOO, what I would like now is for you (Ryan), Legoman, Asj, Tech., Spaceboy, U-bird, or whoever, Please try out the F-86 AV "IN" the air, and report back too me how the panning/tilting camera is working in the cockpit view. I can`t recall, but I think I posted the AV without the camera working properly. ??? At some point it wasn`t working when the plane was airborne, BUT, worked fine on the runway..???? :unsure: :unsure: NOW, I have it working properly, and wondering if I should post a new AV.......:unsure::unsure:

Back