Range Video Jet (FPV platform)

Same problem, unfortunately the collision mesh did not help.
I will keep testing and get back to you if I find a fix.
Thanks again for trying.

Don't think it's anything on my end. I just checked everything over and the mesh is is linked and proper.

Very cool I just grabbed it. I fly the Wright Island field in RF-X and this plane will be really fun in it. Thanks !

EDIT

I just saw ASJ's post I'll try it now and make sure it does the same thing for me. I'll report back soon.

Yes it does the same thing for me in RF-X. The plane shakes like an out of balance prop and then breaks apart. But if you keep the motor RPM very low it will fly and not break apart. I'll look around some and see if I can find anything. But ASJ is really good at finding problems in RF-X.

I'm willing to do a bit more to fix it but not much more. I don't have RF-X and if I can't test it it could get complicated.

It might do it in RF 9 for all I know. What are the conditions I need to replicate? Wind? field?...

Just tried it in RF 9 set strength to 250% and it flies well at Sierra Nevada Cliffs in high winds. Like power off and just soaring. I never fly there but I might now.

Just tried it in RF 9 set strength to 250% and it flies well at Sierra Nevada Cliffs in high winds. Like power off and just soaring. I never fly there but I might now.
I set the fuselage to 1000 and all the wing parts to 1500 and it did the same thing. I moved the motor to the fuselage and it did the same thing. Sometimes it looks like the fuselage is trying to rotate like the prop. Other times it looks like it's just rotating part one way and part the other way back and forth until it breaks apart. I didn't think to look at the conditions I just flew it at the Wright Island field and there's not a lot of wind. I don't know what to think.

Meanwhile, SOMEHOW I managed to land...UH..ERR...crash land...???, on the RF9 sign at Flight School with it.....it started with a bad launch :unsure: and went from there, But hey, it stuck.!!..I think it was a dead stick thing, Cause after I took the shots, I gave it some throttle (accidentally) and it took off.....

Attachments

• ScreenShot1589343635.jpg
    ScreenShot1589343635.jpg
    400.6 KB · Views: 14
  • ScreenShot1589343666.jpg
    ScreenShot1589343666.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 14
  • ScreenShot1589343680.jpg
    ScreenShot1589343680.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 14
Okay I have it working in RF-X. What I did was replace the 4 piece wing with a single piece wing. I also modified the CG some but I don't think that had anything to do with the breaking apart problem. RF-X always seems to have some quirks so I just took a chance a four piece wing might be the problem and tried it. Anyway ASJ here's a Test RFX for you to try out and see if it works there too.

Also the camera doesn't work but I haven't worked on that. It doesn't move or put out video when you select it with the function keys.

Attachments

• RangeVideoJetTST_EA.RFX
    6.3 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I figured a single wing would work better but it's not as accurate for the physics model. Not sure why the camera wouldn't be working. This version works in RF-9

I tried the RangeVideoJetTST again tonight but after I flew it for a while the plane broke apart again and after that I couldn't launch it anymore until I went back to the main menu and hit the "Fly" button again, then it would launch again. After the plane broke apart when you tried to launch it the plane would instantly go back to the launch position almost like you didn't launch it. So the fix isn't really a fix. So I think that's it for me.

Oh I did find out why the camera wasn't moving it seems it's because RF-X was before the latest Interlink DX and doesn't have the channels used to move and zoom the camera. Also I'm using the Interlink X so I changed the channels to the standard ch 9 and ch 10 and used the ch 6 knob for the zoom and the camera was moving and zooming in the editor but I still had a gray area for the video on the field so there was something else wrong. But at least the camera is moving and zooming now. Anyway I'm going back to work on the Sportster so ASJ this information is mostly for you.

Last edited:
Well I guess I'm tired of working on the Sportster because I went back and worked on the RF-X problem again. I got to thinking I didn't try increasing the wing strength so I set it to 200 from 100 and it did fly longer but it still broke up after a while. The plane sure looks strange when it breaks up and I have a couple of different issues after it breaks up. Sometimes it won't launch again until I go to the main menu and hit the Fly button again and other times it spins almost like it's spinning with the prop. I also have an idea why the camera is showing gray instead of the video. In RF-X anything that's see through must be a separate part and be named ~CS_GLASS_SomeName and when I looked at the physics I didn't see that I think it's ~CS_PD?

I have been working on the Range Video Jet RF-X version and have not found a suitable fix.
Technoid's one wing panel (physics) solution works great but once the model crashes or breaks apart in mid flight it reverts back to acting like a non collision mesh model, but this model has collision mesh.
Another short term fix is to name all wing panels RMW LMW but again only till the model crashes or resets.
I deleted a wing panel/section in the physics editor (a lot of planes with 3 sections work perfect i RF-X) but again not for the RVJ. I also changed the leading edge sweeps for inner and mid wing panels in the editor to see if the positive/negative angles were causing an issue, again no fix.
I tried every combination of strength setting possible for wing and fuselage, even with everything set to max (1500) the model will still just blow apart when passing objects, like a tree or launched too close to the ground.

I have been working on the Range Video Jet RF-X version and have not found a suitable fix.
Technoid's one wing panel (physics) solution works great but once the model crashes or breaks apart in mid flight it reverts back to acting like a non collision mesh model, but this model has collision mesh.
Another short term fix is to name all wing panels RMW LMW but again only till the model crashes or resets.
I deleted a wing panel/section in the physics editor (a lot of planes with 3 sections work perfect i RF-X) but again not for the RVJ. I also changed the leading edge sweeps for inner and mid wing panels in the editor to see if the positive/negative angles were causing an issue, again no fix.
I tried every combination of strength setting possible for wing and fuselage, even with everything set to max (1500) the model will still just blow apart when passing objects, like a tree or launched too close to the ground.
Yeah this is definitely a frustrating problem. I'm beginning to wonder if making a single panel wing but having the wing spread over 4 sections in the Schematic is the same. That is I used ~CS_RMW and ~CS_LMW for my wing panel but the real plane has wing panel sections before that in the schematic, don't know just something to try maybe. It's definitely a cool plane and it would be nice to get it going in RF-X. But RF-X is dead so there's only a few of us that actually fly it these days and that's too bad because the Wright Island area is really good and showed how much better RF-X really is. ASJ thanks for your work and feedback.

Here is a short video of what I mean "passing too close to an object".
The railing at this launch site is right in front of you at spawn, when the model is first launched (after hitting the fly button) the model will pass over the railing but after crash or reset the model explodes immediately on launch because the "object" is too close.

I guess I'll throw this out there. Yesterday morning I flew the RVJ in the Castle HD field in RF9 in the Chase Cam view and after I flew out for aways and started flying back the plane twitched back and fourth some, it didn't break apart but it definitely twitched several times. So I flew around more trying to get it to do it again and it did it again a time or two but after that I couldn't get it to do it again. I always keep the wind at zero so it wasn't the wind. I wished I had something running to take a movie but I didn't. So it's possible this happens in a very mild form in RF9.

Back