Range Video Jet (FPV platform)

Here is a short video of what I mean "passing too close to an object".
The railing at this launch site is right in front of you at spawn, when the model is first launched (after hitting the fly button) the model will pass over the railing but after crash or reset the model explodes immediately on launch because the "object" is too close.

If I remember right I've had that happen to me at the RC Ranch field after the plane broke apart it would do that at launch sometimes. Launch is strange after the first break apart.

Weird things can happen when there isn't a designated spawn point for a particular type of aircraft. I've had float planes (even some with wheel options) on land fields spawn within fences etc because there isn't a water launch point close by.

I don’t have RFX and I don’t have the editor in front of me, but can you change material types of the model? This is a foamy, correct? In earlier RF versions, maybe even still, foamy models had strange tendencies. A profile model would actually yaw around the rudder pivot point, so while hovering, when you give rudder input for correction, the nose would actually move and the tail would remain in the same location. Just a thought.

I don’t have RFX and I don’t have the editor in front of me, but can you change material types of the model? This is a foamy, correct? In earlier RF versions, maybe even still, foamy models had strange tendencies. A profile model would actually yaw around the rudder pivot point, so while hovering, when you give rudder input for correction, the nose would actually move and the tail would remain in the same location. Just a thought.
I'll go take a look now. Thanks!

EDIT:

I changed the type from EPP Foam to Giant Scale and it flew a long time but did the same thing, broke apart with severe oscillations after break up. Back and fourth.

Last edited:
To get the RVJ to fly well I had to make changes to the Center of Pressure Variability(%) and Aspect Ratio Factor Scale(%) of the main fuselage. I also changed the Center of Pressure Variability(%), Center of Pressure Modification -Top(%), and Aspect Ratio Factor Scale(%) for the NoseCap and CameraDome fuselage objects. Maybe these are playing havoc in RF-X. Maybe try setting them to defaults and see how it goes and modify as needed.

Last edited:
To get the RVJ to fly well I had to make changes to the Center of Pressure Variability(%) and Aspect Ratio Factor Scale(%) of the main fuselage. I also changed the Center of Pressure Variability(%), Center of Pressure Modification -Top(%), and Aspect Ratio Factor Scale(%) for the fuselage NoseCap and CameraDome fuselage objects. Maybe these are playing havoc in RF-X. Maybe try setting them to defaults and see how it goes and modify as needed.
Will do, thanks !

After 2 days of trying to make the Range Video Jet fly and not break apart in RF-X I finally found the fix, add weight to the wings, RF-X must be calculating the weight to size of the wings as too "delicate" and allows the wings to flex aggressively (flaps like a Humming Bird) and then the model breaks apart.
So I doubled the 4 wing section weights and the model would fly good at most airports, but to fly from the Sierra Nevada Cliff airport and launch over the railing, quad weight was needed, also increased the nose cone weight to keep CG correct.
Thanks for this great model Boof69, awesome model, I love it.

Short flight video in RF-X.

After 2 days of trying to make the Range Video Jet fly and not break apart in RF-X I finally found the fix, add weight to the wings, RF-X must be calculating the weight to size of the wings as too "delicate" and allows the wings to flex aggressively (flaps like a Humming Bird) and then the model breaks apart.
So I doubled the 4 wing section weights and the model would fly good at most airports, but to fly from the Sierra Nevada Cliff airport and launch over the railing, quad weight was needed, also increased the nose cone weight to keep CG correct.
Thanks for this great model Boof69, awesome model, I love it.

Short flight video in RF-X.
Very cool.. thanks. Now I can quite working on it. That's a great find I never thought about that.

Wow. Never would've thought of that. Thanks for doing something I could not have done guys. Lots of time invested in that. Thanks for taking time off your build Technoid.

Update on the wings weight for RF-X.
Only the main wing needs weight increase leave the wing root, mid wing and wing tip as is.
Settings for RF-X only.
Main wing 3.2 oz to 12.8 oz.
Nose cone 2,oz to 8,oz (to maintain CG)

Update on the wings weight for RF-X.
Only the main wing needs weight increase leave the wing root, mid wing and wing tip as is.
Settings for RF-X only.
Main wing 3.2 oz to 12.8 oz.
Nose cone 2,oz to 8,oz (to maintain CG)
How about a final upload from you and then delete the other one you uploaded that way everyone can get the one you modified and tested.

Holy crap, RF-X looks amazing! I might have to find a copy of it, can I use either my RF8 or RF9 interlink?

Last edited:
Great video. Looked so real, I got motion sick.
I know what you mean, I was just packing in a lot of camera angle shots into as short a video as possible, definitely should have slowed down the camera panning vertical and horizontal.

Holy crap, RF-X looks amazing! I might have to find a copy of it, can I use either my RF8 or RF9 interlink?
RF-X is amazing and I use it a lot, it's a pity that Knifeedge pulled the plug on the program.
Yes you can use the RF8 interlink with RF-X,, but you cannot use the latest RF9 interlink DX.

RF-X is amazing and I use it a lot, it's a pity that Knifeedge pulled the plug on the program.
Yes you can use the RF8 interlink with RF-X,, but you cannot use the latest RF9 interlink DX.
I'm finding NIB RF-X software as cheap as 45 bucks on ebay. I think I'll grab it. Even though support has ended, it looks like I will enjoy the eye candy.

Back