Range Video Jet (FPV platform)

You need a good video card to run RF-X, I would recommend at least a GTX1080.
I have a GTX 2080
I second that my monitor runs at 1920x1200 and my GTX1070 wasn't enough to get the best frame rates so I ended up getting a GTX1080. So I think a GTX1080 is the minimum you should get which should equal an RTX2070 these days. But go for the RTX2080 if at all possible. You also need a fast CPU like at least an I7 6700K with 16 GB of memory, pretty much think of a strong gaming computer for RF-X.

I have a GTX1060 with Max-Q design. (whatever that means?) I run RF9 maxed out at 250-300 FPS
Intel i7-8750H @2.20 GHz
And 16 GB of RAM

Its a Dell G7 7588. Id say its a mid level gaming laptop.

Last edited:
I have a GTX1060 I run RF9 maxed out at 250-300 FPS
Intel i7-8750H @2.20 GHz
And 16 GB of RAM
I've seen a number of people say their 1060 wasn't enough they got slow frame rates, then others said they were okay. It depends on how sensitive you are to lower frame rates. Being honest I don't think you'll enjoy RF-X that well with your system but since you can get it at a pretty low cost at least you'd be able to try it and see the better looking graphics it has.

What resolution is your monitor? Maybe better put what resolution do you run RealFlight at? I say that because some don't run a game (sim) at the native resolution of their monitor. RealFlight 9 is VERY easy on the graphics card so you can't compare it with RF-X.

What would slow frame rates be considered as for RF-X? Like I would say 30FPS as unacceptable and 100FPS as tolerable.

Last edited:
What would slow frame rates be considered as for RF-X? Like I would say 30FPS as unacceptable and 100FPS as tolerable.
You know there was so much variance in what people said back then it wasn't funny, but more times than not your system would be on the low end. But going by the RF-X System Requirements it was an Optimal System. But almost everyone thought the system requirements was a joke.

I had an I7 4770S at 3.1 GHZ with 32 GB of RAM and a GTX760 when I got RF-X and I didn't like the frame rates I was getting at 1920x1200 to me they were painful frame rates for an aircraft simulator, others could tolerate it.

Your graphics card would give you a "clear" advantage over my system when I first got RF-X because of the GTX1060 but your CPU on the other hand is way slower than what I had at the time yours 2.2 Ghz mine 3.1 Ghz and it does take some CPU horsepower to push the frame rates in RF-X it just takes a lot more GPU than CPU. But the CPU has to push the simulator at a decent frame rate before a GPU matters at all. I don't know how much you know about how the CPU and GPU affect frame rates but there's quite a bit to it. But first it's important that the CPU can process the frames fast enough before the GPU can do anything with them. So there's an important balance. But RF-X is way harder on the GPU than the CPU.

Here's two charts I created at the time that might help you. All the information you want to know is in the chart just read it and you should get a decent picture of what my system did at the time. Now the updates they did helped so if you get it be sure to update it fully before trying it out because that really helps. And try out the Wright Island field right away it's by far the best field they did. But some of the others let you fly in the mountains and are definitely cool.

But honestly if your CPU can push a decent frame rate (don't know) I think for 40 bucks I'd get it just to see what RF-X is all about. But be sure to patch it to the latest release before you try it out because that makes A LOT of difference in frame rates.

2016-11-10 1230PM RF-X Monte Vista L-39 Albatross 1920x1200 I7 4770S 32G GTX760.jpg2016-11-10 1519PM RF-X Castle AT 6 Texas 1920x1200 I7 4770S 32G GTX760.jpg

Thanks for the info Tech, I think I will take the gamble since I already have the interlink controller and found RF-X for 50 bucks including shipping.

Do you have Steam ?
If you have Steam then download the ACRO FS Simulator (I think it is still a free "Early Access" program) ACRO FS is made by Jim Bourke (owner of Realflight) and ACRO FS is run with the same game engine as RF-X, which is Unigine2 and uses DirectX 11. Should be a good measure for frame rates.

I will look into that. I've seen acro, I think I saw an announcement about it, maybe it was in the RF forums and then I forgot all about it.

Back