Real Flight 6 Intent to Purchase

Based on what you've seen so far, will you buy RF6?

• Yes

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • No

Votes: 17 56.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Another reason I will buy RF6 is because KE is an American company with at least a few American employees and I would like to help keep them employed.

I'm trying to understand why it is a problem that we put most of our time into the physics.

Jim

Kmot said:
Another reason I will buy RF6 is because KE is an American company with at least a few American employees and I would like to help keep them employed.

I share this sentiment too Kmot. Like I said I'll have to sit on my hands to see what happens. Based off of the advertised features for RF6, I'm not overwhelmingly excited, but if the price is right, I would be interested in getting an upgrade if the heli physics are incredible. I can always try at the hobby store before I buy.

On a side note, I have most of the other sims as well and I can't say I only support KE. I do support them, but I find value in all the RC sims to own them all. I don't have Aerofly, but would like it too because I'm obsessive.

If I were to not be able to get the new aircraft coming out in the new version unless I buy a pack with most of the planes I already own with just the few new ones in the mix, I wouldn't buy it. Since there is an upgrade version stated to come out as well, then I'm open to see what comes about.

There is no doubt I'm obsessive enough still to want something just because it exists. This might be due to my ADD/ADHD compulsive traits--a real symptom of ADD. I'll just sit on my hands and wait....

jbourke said:
I'm trying to understand why it is a problem that we put most of our time into the physics.

Jim

I think my thoughts (and possibly many others) is: Inside deep down people want to and are willing to spend money on a new version that includes visual upgrades, new features (like ground handling, float flying, bungee launch, etc. etc. etc.) Also any upgrade that increases the visual "WOW" of the simulator.

So on the opposite end of that: Why aren't people excited about physics upgrades? As a G4.5 owner / past user a customer just assumes that the physics are already as "true to life" that they can be.....I mean that's what the company that produced the sim meant it to be used for correct? So to "re-make" an existing sim with better flying aircraft just isn't as "thrilling" to purchase.

In all reality 90% of the users of the sim are people learning to fly. Granted it's important for them to get a pretty realistic idea of how aircraft / helis will fly once they actually progress to the real world, but truthfully a true beginner will not be able to "pin-point" out flaws with the existing physics. With current flaws (they really aren't flaws....they just aren't as perfect as they could be) can a person just getting into the hobby learn to fly? Yes of course they can. (I learned on a MUCH more basic simulator. An early Dave Brown simulator on an Apple IIe green screen. The plane was actually a just a "wire frame")

All a flight sim REALLY needs to do is give a person some basic idea of flying an aircraft or heli. Getting your finger "memory" and reaction / cordination to the plane flying towards you or away from you. A physics upgrade that creates a slightly more realistic tip stall (just using that as an example...not saying it's in RF 6) isn't really going to make RF 6 so much better than G4.5 or G5. However past upgrades like float flying....even if not perfect, still give the new user a "general" idea of that portion of the RL hobby.

I think I will reserve judgement about RF6 until I hear some true reviews and see some screenshots or gameplay (for lack of a better word) video. Right now expectations are high and nothing described seems to be generating any excitement. I think it a likely thing that once the software is out and available to my grubby little hands at my LHS I will find something to love about the new version. I am a loyal Real Flight customer and enthusiast and will stay with the ship till it sinks. If we all can just hang on for something more tangible to judge from I'm sure then true party lines can form. Searchable aircraft listing, much improved smoke physics, reengineered heli physics all sound like some great new features.
My main question is why all the secrecy and withholding of details? Is there some legal concern here, or is there some surprise in store, or is it just to leave the details with planned advertising?

I must say I'm a bit surprised at the $50 price point for the upgrade. It's a bit lower than I thought it would be. Considering the new features of G6, that may not be a bad price. The $33 price point for the MegaPacks by themselves is not too bad, either, if you haven't bought the Expansion Packs that those models are from. I still don't like the previously unavailable helis being bundled with helis I've already bought. I did not see a price if you want the new transmitter and the base program without either MegaPack.

Notice the poll is closed? There's a reason I did that. At the time I set up the poll, I was hoping more information would come out. It should've come out earlier.

What if you fly both???

I hate to see the heli guys split off from the airplane guys, but that is what happens in real life too.

So does it mean that I will have to buy the upgrade $50 and two mega packs $66 to have everything?

I think the airplane Mega Pack is all previously available content from the Expansion Packs. If you have all of them, you won't need the airplane Mega Pack. The heli Mega Pack is mostly from the EPs, but there are a couple new files in it.

12oclockhigh said:
I hate to see the heli guys split off from the airplane guys, but that is what happens in real life too.

So does it mean that I will have to buy the upgrade $50 and two mega packs $66 to have everything?

Seriously? My friends and I all fly helis and airplanes in the real world. In fact more of us keep getting more planes as time goes on. Probably the economy pushing us towards cheaper crashes/repairs. LOL.

Yes, I do know heli guys and airplane guys segregate themselves quite often.

pplace said:
I think my thoughts (and possibly many others) is: Inside deep down people want to and are willing to spend money on a new version that includes visual upgrades, new features (like ground handling, float flying, bungee launch, etc. etc. etc.) Also any upgrade that increases the visual "WOW" of the simulator.

So on the opposite end of that: Why aren't people excited about physics upgrades? As a G4.5 owner / past user a customer just assumes that the physics are already as "true to life" that they can be.....I mean that's what the company that produced the sim meant it to be used for correct? So to "re-make" an existing sim with better flying aircraft just isn't as "thrilling" to purchase.

In all reality 90% of the users of the sim are people learning to fly. Granted it's important for them to get a pretty realistic idea of how aircraft / helis will fly once they actually progress to the real world, but truthfully a true beginner will not be able to "pin-point" out flaws with the existing physics. With current flaws (they really aren't flaws....they just aren't as perfect as they could be) can a person just getting into the hobby learn to fly? Yes of course they can. (I learned on a MUCH more basic simulator. An early Dave Brown simulator on an Apple IIe green screen. The plane was actually a just a "wire frame")

All a flight sim REALLY needs to do is give a person some basic idea of flying an aircraft or heli. Getting your finger "memory" and reaction / cordination to the plane flying towards you or away from you. A physics upgrade that creates a slightly more realistic tip stall (just using that as an example...not saying it's in RF 6) isn't really going to make RF 6 so much better than G4.5 or G5. However past upgrades like float flying....even if not perfect, still give the new user a "general" idea of that portion of the RL hobby.

Well said..

Until Realflight can give with it's graphics and physics... that lump in the throat...shaky hands....fast heartbeat..tingle in the nads...it will always just be a sim..it does well in trying new things that one would not want to try with real world plane until mastered..but most like you said just use it to hone the basic skills and save a little money in real world crashes...I have bought two versions and one upgrade, I think I am all set for now.. I am flying more real world than the sim anyway...

I fly planks and egg beaters... a good physics engine is critical for both, but more so for helis. Helis are a lot more about timing... timing wrong and you loose lift causing a re-kit or a structural integrity to failure test.

RF is good enough to get you hovering/flying the Ginsu knives of whirling death, but not currently good enough to make you a good 3-D pilot... another product was demonstratively better... In an attempt to keep pilots from migrating... KE did the only thing they could and improve things. I am excited to get the new version... I am really hoping they have nailed the physics.

As to the planks??? Some of the planes are really floaters... they fly in the sim way better than real life... usually the weights are not correct in the physics engine. You really have to look at the settings to see what the designer did... it is not a simple matter of entering weights and lift areas.

Last edited:
12oclockhigh said:
I fly planks and egg beaters... a good physics engine is critical for both, but more so for helis. Helis are a lot more about timing... timing wrong and you loose lift causing a re-kit or a structural integrity to failure test.

RF is good enough to get you hovering/flying the Ginsu knives of whirling death, but not currently good enough to make you a good 3-D pilot... another product was demonstratively better... In an attempt to keep pilots from migrating... KE did the only thing they could and improve things. I am excited to get the new version... I am really hoping they have nailed the physics.

As to the planks??? Some of the planes are really floaters... they fly in the sim way better than real life... usually the weights are not correct in the physics engine. You really have to look at the settings to see what the designer did... it is not a simple matter of entering weights and lift areas.

I strongly disagree. I fly my real helis once every 2-3 and sometimes even 4 weeks. The rest of my flying is done on the simulator.

Thanks to this simulator that "is not good enough to make you a 3D pilot", I have become a team pilot for a heli manufacture. I will be able to compete at the Futaba Extreme Flight Championship in June next year.

I owe all of my success to Realflight G3-G5.5 ect.

Last edited:
upgrade or not

Do I intend to upgrade to 6.0? First, some background...
I am a navy vet, done some hops in aircraft.. not officially aircrew, but I flew from time to time doing checkflights or 'special' missions. I have a very, very good background in aircraft and their technologies. I am currently using G4.5 and I use this as my training aid in helping keep my skill level high enough, to where I won't embarrass myself when flying in front of others. I also run and own a small computer repair shop, so I have access to any machine I want, from quad cores or 8-core machines, up to video cards specifically designed for cad/cam work.
So, the question, will I upgrade? Here's my thoughts...
1. Price Point is good.. for 50 dollars, it makes sense to upgrade.. if it were a hundred, I wouldn't even consider it, since I could care less with the online air-to-air training or going against others in dog fighting.. not my cup of tea.. once you done it for real, these things do nothing for me.. sorry..
2. Direct X discussion.. I would much, much prefer the program to use the newer rendering engines in DX10 or 11.. the difference in the display, especially on a very high quality flat panel, is remarkable. It is like going to the first OpenGL games years ago. And yes, I am a serious gamer, but not with RealFlight.. again, no interest there.
3. I always pay for the programs that I use, even those that are released into the public domain as shareware. I would prefer to be able to go direct to manufacturer on this, but I understand that you guys probably have exclusive marketing agreements through distribution of the usual networks. Many companies still retain the right to sell their product direct, however they must sell it at full retail, not discounted pricing.. again, I prefer to buy from manufacturer/programmer, thus they make a few extra dollars for their fine work. Plus, finding people who carry this product is a bit of a pain to us who live out in the boonies. Going direct is better for me..
4. Yes, I am going to upgrade, but I would prefer to see that the basic controller be upgraded to 9 or 10 channel.. Or, make it an option. I understand maintaining backwards compatibility with the controllers though.

discussion on maintaining compatibility with DX9. Here, again, I understand keeping DX9 as the main rendering engine. Many people who have RF are running older computers on WIN xp. Windows Vista, and Windows 7 have since come out, with Windows 8 out on the horizon. Many of us have computers very capable of using whatever engine the programmers decide to go with. Going with Dx9, with it's many improvements and tweeks over the years, means that it will run fast on an older machine.Going to a higher version of DX means going to better hardware, and for many users of RF, a whole new machine, which given the present economy, may prove difficult at best for many of the users. It would almost be cheaper to crash a couple of planes, than to spend the money on a new computer. :) The whole idea of RF is to keep your skill sets up without risk of equipment, thus saving money in the long run.
I would prefer if there was a 'dual version' released... that is, one for dx9 and one for something greater. I understand what a hassle it would be, but this is a perfect world scenario.. Eventually, the Dx9 rendering will have to go completely, since microsoft has said that support for xp is going to end for sure, in 2014. If I upgrade now to 6.0, will I get a good discount when the new 7.0 comes out that supports these advanced rendering engines?

thoughts and comments are welcomed..
john simek
lancaster, sc

After all that, I think you forgot to answer the question you asked yourself at the beginning of your post!

Back