RealFlight 9 is coming soon!

Just got my notification from Tower that my RF9 shipped today, Champagne Ill, is only about 60 miles away so hopping I'll have it tomorrow!

I get a free version of the Realflight 9 because i buy’d the 8 on july 30 with the Interlink® X-controller.

My question is, with Realflight 9 i going to use my Spektrum DX6i controller. So i don’t need my Realflight 8 and Interlink controller any more.

Is it OK and legal to sell the package?

Thanks

I get a free version of the Realflight 9 because i buy’d the 8 on july 30 with the Interlink® X-controller.

My question is, with Realflight 9 i going to use my Spektrum DX6i controller. So i don’t need my Realflight 8 and Interlink controller any more.

Is it OK and legal to sell the package?

Thanks

You can simply contact tech support and have them unregister your copy of RF8. Then go ahead and sell it.

Last edited:
I would suggest that the DX6i is not a great choice for the new RF9 software. You need more channels to do things with the new aircraft.

I would suggest that the DX6i is not a great choice for the new RF9 software. You need more channels to do things with the new aircraft.

I’m just a beginner to fly with drones. So i think that the channels of the DX6i would be enough to start? What kind of Spektrum DX would be the ‘best’ for later on?

I would suggest buying the software radio and then buying the field radio. You will miss out on a lot of software features if you don't. I think the DX6 is a great beginner radio. The best thing is to sort out how dedicated you are to this hobby first. The radio to buy will vary with what you want to do. The best radio may not be Spektrum.

I’m just a beginner to fly with drones. So i think that the channels of the DX6i would be enough to start? What kind of Spektrum DX would be the ‘best’ for later on?

I have received notification that my copy with the new controller has shipped from Horizon Hobby.

Questions:

1. The download link for the software is working but the download speeds are extremely slow. I am trying to download the software since I no longer have a DVD drive. The downloads time was 12+ hours. The problem appears to be on the Horizon Hobby side since my ISP speed test is reporting 989 MB downloads speeds on a 1GB Comcast tier.

2. I have all of the expansion packs an options mega packs that RealFlight has produced since the products introduction. There were instructions on how to move these between versions without having to re-install. I am not able to locate the instructions. Does anybody still have the directions?

You can copy your imported files from one version to the other fairly easily. The information is stored in your Documents folder. Just copy everything from your old version of RealFlight to the newest version of RealFlight. There are a few threads on the forum that explain it in better detail.

You can copy your imported files from one version to the other fairly easily. The information is stored in your Documents folder. Just copy everything from your old version of RealFlight to the newest version of RealFlight. There are a few threads on the forum that explain it in better detail.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Thanks for the heads-up.

yes and a partial no. Yes you can copy the files out of rf8 to rf9 but you will need to go through the directories and change all the occurrences of "Realflight 8" to what ever the rf 9 directory is called for proper functionality with certain parts like making new CS for old planes (that got copied)

yes and a partial no. Yes you can copy the files out of rf8 to rf9 but you will need to go through the directories and change all the occurrences of "Realflight 8" to what ever the rf 9 directory is called for proper functionality with certain parts like making new CS for old planes (that got copied)

Yes. There is more into it than copying and pasting a folder, i just don't have the time right now to create a detailed instruction set right now and it's been covered a couple dozen times before in the past 10 years. I've always copied my files from one version to the next since i have almost 20gb of content and a couple thousand files. It takes a few minutes vs several days when I copy over the folders

Exactly and missing one will cause problems. I usually find I don't fly near the number of models I have imported so use the version change to thin things down instead of going to all that effort.

It would be nice if they made a program to do these things but I expect it will never happen. I don't plan on RF9 as there isn't enough for me to justify the expense from using RF8.

Just got my notification from Tower that my RF9 shipped today, Champagne Ill, is only about 60 miles away so hopping I'll have it tomorrow!

So, did ya get it? Mine's arrived at the international shipping depot so hopefully here within the next week or two.

So, did ya get it? Mine's arrived at the international shipping depot so hopefully here within the next week or two.

I did, I received mine two days ago! I like the new specktrum based interlink, it feels good in your hands and feels a bit better in quality too. Feels more solid if that makes sense.

Last edited:
I have bought every RF generation since g3, including RFX. There were some squeeky wheels who insisted that RF-8 was just a re-hash of g7.5. I couldn't have disagreed more. RF-8 was a great improvement over g7.5 AND included VR. G8 is a true evolution of RF and well worth the price.

Now I'm the squeeky wheel. RF-9 is more like an Expansion Pack... not a new generation. Just new models and fields right??? Yeah, that's an EP. Oh but all the new models ARE ALREADY released on the HH ExPack. So what does that leave?

A new Interlink with more channels. Well ok, but my Elite still works fine. Could have done that with a g8.5 which we never got.

And I guess it means that multiplayer will be fractured even further.
- Many still haven't switched from g7.5... can't fly with them.
- G8 Multiplayer is sparse.
- G9 Multi won't be compatible with 7.5 or 8.
- RC flying is shrinking as a hobby so we're cutting a smaller pie into more slices.

For all new RF generations, I reach for my wallet as a reflex. Not this time. I just don't see any reason at all. I've been concerned for some time that RF-8 might be the last RF generation. Now with RF-9... I'm more convinced.

I have bought every RF generation since g3, including RFX. There were some squeeky wheels who insisted that RF-8 was just a re-hash of g7.5. I couldn't have disagreed more. RF-8 was a great improvement over g7.5 AND included VR. G8 is a true evolution of RF and well worth the price.

Now I'm the squeeky wheel. RF-9 is more like an Expansion Pack... not a new generation. Just new models and fields right??? Yeah, that's an EP. Oh but all the new models ARE ALREADY released on the HH ExPack. So what does that leave?

A new Interlink with more channels. Well ok, but my Elite still works fine. Could have done that with a g8.5 which we never got.

And I guess it means that multiplayer will be fractured even further.
- Many still haven't switched from g7.5... can't fly with them.
- G8 Multiplayer is sparse.
- G9 Multi won't be compatible with 7.5 or 8.
- RC flying is shrinking as a hobby so we're cutting a smaller pie into more slices.

For all new RF generations, I reach for my wallet as a reflex. Not this time. I just don't see any reason at all. I've been concerned for some time that RF-8 might be the last RF generation. Now with RF-9... I'm more convinced.

The hobby from what I see has moved to Drone racing quads and automatically controlled aircraft. The technology is there now that let's anyone fly anything anywhere with little skill required. I barely fly helicopters anywhere anymore myself, About once a month or so. I do fly a quad more frequently. I have a Armattan Marmotte which is a pretty fun little machine. It's stupid fast, still requires skills to fly fast and FPV is really good now. It stores in a backpack when i don't use it so portability is really good. I've got an camera drone that actually can fit in a large pocket and flies for 20 minutes at a time controlled by my phone if i don't want to carry the controller and films in 4k. It's where this hobby is going i believe and unfortunately there are a few simulators already on the market that do a better job at replicating race quad physics and racing conditions than RealFlight.

Easy way to fix multiplayer fracturing is to only support it in the last two versions of realflight. Multiplayer for old versions like G4.5 STILL work and sometimes you can find a session. Multiplayer from 7.5 and lower should be eliminated.

Last edited:
Back