RealFlight 9 is coming soon!

They didn't add more HH models beyond the HH Editon Add-on for RF8 ? I thought the would have done that. I know the 230S was mentioned which isn't in the addon. Not that I need or want them anymore.

I bought another simulator on Steam that is better for helicopters and is constantly having new models come out. The developers have also expressed interest in adding the new controller as a pre-configured one to the list they already have that includes the older two. Out of respect for this forum, KE, HH, etc I won't name the simulator.

Yes they added several HH models Hangar 9, Eflite, and Blade stuff

RF8HHE only had (I count 11) HH models
RF9 has 22 (I'm just counting the what I see on the RF8 & 9 airplane lists on the web page)

Last edited:
Ill tell you one thing I don't care for now after we have formed habits on the old interlink controller, all the switches are assigned differently on the interlink DX, every plane we flew in other versions of RF the knob was your flaps, now flaps are on a 3 position switch by default. Well I just flew the Harrier jet and well it sucks because you used to be able to control the nozzle angle with the knob. Now it has 3 positions and that's it. Not that I fly the Harrier much, I'm just using this as an example.

Ill tell you one thing I don't care for now after we have formed habits on the old interlink controller, all the switches are assigned differently on the interlink DX, every plane we flew in other versions of RF the knob was your flaps, now flaps are on a 3 position switch by default. Well I just flew the Harrier jet and well it sucks because you used to be able to control the nozzle angle with the knob. Now it has 3 positions and that's it. Not that I fly the Harrier much, I'm just using this as an example.

I'm curious what does the knob generally control now?

The Interlink controller in RF8 and all earlier generations (I started on G3) is nothing like ANY real Tx that I have or had in the past. So every time I use RF I had to adapt to the different switch functions compared to my actual radio. Then there are the designers who place the switches and knobs in completely different places than what I call "normal" and for example landing gear up is a different throw direction than normal, high rate switch is reversed compared to normal, etc.

I currently use three different brands of transmitters and they are all different from each other. So I just have to adapt, and refresh my memory on switch functions etc.

So, with the new Spektrum version of Interlink controller, it will just be a matter of adapting to it like I would my real transmitters. I don't see that as a big deal. :)

I'm curious what does the knob generally control now?

Nothing so far I've seen. I have not flown every single plane in RF9 yet but so far the knob does nothing.
I started importing user made aircraft and some are so bad I've just deleted them which is sad because guys like legoman and technoid make some incredible models, On the ones I cant live without Ill just have to go in and remap controls and switches to get them flying again. I think it was the A-1H by legoman that the throttle was not on any channel at all it just was stuck on about a 1/4 throttle setting. yes I can correct these kind of things but it also sucks. (well I thought I remembered how)

Last edited:
The Interlink controller in RF8 and all earlier generations (I started on G3) is nothing like ANY real Tx that I have or had in the past. So every time I use RF I had to adapt to the different switch functions compared to my actual radio. Then there are the designers who place the switches and knobs in completely different places than what I call "normal" and for example landing gear up is a different throw direction than normal, high rate switch is reversed compared to normal, etc.

I currently use three different brands of transmitters and they are all different from each other. So I just have to adapt, and refresh my memory on switch functions etc.

So, with the new Spektrum version of Interlink controller, it will just be a matter of adapting to it like I would my real transmitters. I don't see that as a big deal. :)

I started on G2 and I formed habits on that so bad that on my real world transmitter I would set the switches to feel like my interlink lol.

Nothing so far I've seen. I have not flown every single plane in RF9 yet but so far the knob does nothing.
I started importing user made aircraft and some are so bad I've just deleted them which is sad because guys like legoman and technoid make some incredible models, On the ones I cant live without Ill just have to go in and remap controls and switches to get them flying again. I think it was the A-1H by legoman that the throttle was not on any channel at all it just was stuck on about a 1/4 throttle setting. yes I can correct these kind of things but it also sucks.

the throttle should be on channel 14 on the skyraider

I agree. They say "Easy to Fly" right on the boxes. Kids are getting them for Christmas. Actual piloting skills are becoming optional.

I would jump if there were any hint of actual improvements -
- Optimized VR for better frame rate & menu interface (dunno how easy that is)
- Fix the Nametag issue in VR. Nametags float around unconnected to models. Very distracting.
- And any number of other little tweeks which have been requested over time. Better sounds, etc.

But nope, so I struggle to see any reason for RF-9.
Like I said... it seems more like an Expansion Pack dressed up as a new gen.
And by fracturing Multi, g9 will actually HURT the Realflight brand.

the throttle should be on channel 14 on the skyraider

So the mapping for software radio channels is different on the new Interlink DX? You have the throttle servo connected to CH 14 ( ? ) then the channel 14 input is connected to channel 3. I'm curious why did you do that?

I'd like to know also about the mapping. Does that mean one would need to re-map the channels on older imported models to match and work on the new DX controller ? If so that's not good.

I'm about to put RF8HHE back on my system I'm not going to go through and re do every flipping plane in here. Its been so long since I have edited things in RF, (Back in the G3.5 days) I have forgotten so much. Fumbling my way through.

What's the quality like on the new Interlink DX compared to both the old Futaba based Interlink and the Interlink X that came out with RF-X. I will say I don't want to have to remap all my planes to work with a new Interlink controller. Maybe Ryan can chime in as to why they changed the mapping? Is all the planes from before the Interlink DX not going to work properly (as designed) with the new Interlink DX?

Ill say the quality feels good on the DX, feels far more solid that the Interlink X. The gimbals and rotary knob are butter smooth. I hated the knob on my Interlink X. It was in a crap location and could not be easily spun with one finger. No it does not feel like I'm holding my DX9 in real life but its close, and that's why I figure the switches are mapped the way they are. They are the same default as my real life Spektrum. Its light weight because there is no battery pack obviously. I actually hot glued 4 oz of weight into my Interlink X to better balance it. I beat the crap out of my old Interlink Plus from RF3.5 I imagine this DX will go just as long.

So the mapping for software radio channels is different on the new Interlink DX? You have the throttle servo connected to CH 14 ( ? ) then the channel 14 input is connected to channel 3. I'm curious why did you do that?

no receiver channel 14 and in rf 8 (I don't have 9 yet) and if what ryan said id true and the channels are hard coded at 12 the Skyraider is fubar as it needs 14 channels and uses 15.

Why I ran the throttle through channel 14 is because I am using the trims as their own channels since they automatically are forced to channels 1-4 and whatever input you assign in the radio will have that trim assigned to it. On the skyraider their is no inputs in channels 1-4 so I can read the trims and make the trim tab and trim controls move in the cockpit when you interact with the trims on the interlink. thus those inputs where moved to channels 9 (aileron) 10 (elevator) 11 (rudder), and 14 (throttle) to be mixed on the airplane in the electronics section

no receiver channel 14 and in rf 8 (I don't have 9 yet) and if what ryan said id true and the channels are hard coded at 12 the Skyraider is fubar as it needs 14 channels and uses 15.

Why I ran the throttle through channel 14 is because I am using the trims as their own channels since they automatically are forced to channels 1-4 and whatever input you assign in the radio will have that trim assigned to it. On the skyraider their is no inputs in channels 1-4 so I can read the trims and make the trim tab and trim controls move in the cockpit when you interact with the trims on the interlink. thus those inputs where moved to channels 9 (aileron) 10 (elevator) 11 (rudder), and 14 (throttle) to be mixed on the airplane in the electronics section

Software Radio or Receiver Channel are the same aren't they?

Thanks for the explanation I know you had a long comment about that stuff but I just used the bare controls to fly it around some

Ill say the quality feels good on the DX, feels far more solid that the Interlink X. The gimbals and rotary knob are butter smooth. I hated the knob on my Interlink X. It was in a crap location and could not be easily spun with one finger. No it does not feel like I'm holding my DX9 in real life but its close, and that's why I figure the switches are mapped the way they are. They are the same default as my real life Spektrum. Its light weight because there is no battery pack obviously. I actually hot glued 4 oz of weight into my Interlink X to better balance it. I beat the crap out of my old Interlink Plus from RF3.5 I imagine this DX will go just as long.

Thanks I appreciate the information.

Software Radio or Receiver Channel are the same aren't they?

Thanks for the explanation I know you had a long comment about that stuff but I just used the bare controls to fly it around some

• Input channels are the switches, knobs, and gimbals.
  • Receiver channels are what the input channels use to send the signal to the airplane from the transmitter
  • Software radio (which I could not find today any more to double check) determine whether it is direct pass through from input channel to receiver (I think)

Well maybe RF8 had this but I just stumbled across it myself, under the "Simulation" tab you can go to "select controller" And from there you can edit pretty easily change all your radio channels, I just put my flaps back on the knob :p

Back