RF 9.5 Using new Win-11 Pro OS.

SPQR33

Folks: Been off flying 18 mos. due to several Eye surgeries. Had R9.5 installed / Updated / Highly Modified on my old Win-7 machine. Tried to do a fresh install on my new Win-11 Pro machine. I did a full back-up and transfer from Win-7 to the new Win-11 and transferred all files/Folders/Apps, etc. And I did a Search for any/all files/Folders beginning with the letters RF*****. I thought I got them all and removed / deleted them all.

For the 3rd time, I can’t seem to get R-F 9.5 to “properly” install on my new Win-11 Pro machine. The app fully loads and opens but, not in the usual way; no Block-Series of choices like Fly Now, etc. The main screen opens with some jet, and none of the Tool Bar or Task Bar tabs work; they are phantom grey, and don’t work. The DX practice joysticks also do not function.

What files / folders did I miss removing / deleting trying to install R-F 9.5 onto my new Win-11 Pro machine?

Thanks. John Turek

You may not have done anything wrong. There are known issues right now with newer computers that only use the built-in Intel graphics capability and don't have another graphics card (nVidia or AMD).

This post will help identify whether or not that could be the problem. If that is the problem (Intel 12th or 13th Gen CPU with no other graphics), then this thread will explain what you can try to do about it with RF 9.5.

Sir: Followed both of your links as above. Added the new .dll file. Still not working. Upon first install (and yes, I added 3- launcher file exclusions to my Norton AV as on my old Win-7 machine), I initially got my old Night Timber as the log-on screen. Seems I forgot to delete one folder when I transferred data onto this new Win-11 machine. But doing a Full Delete of Everything RF, a Full Uninstall with all boxes checked, then after each reinstall, I got that jet as my initial screen, as shown on another post. I extracted that /dll file, added to the Programs/RF9 folder, but it still doesn't work for me. Hope there is another fix somewhere in the works. Note: the online update to RF9.50.038 worked fine.

Attachments

• System.jpg
    System.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Device Mgr 2.jpg
    Device Mgr 2.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Failed Start.jpg
    Failed Start.jpg
    619.5 KB · Views: 12
Sir: I did another Full Uninstall, and don't plan to do another reinstall attempt. As you can see from my above post, I got one of these integrated Intel graphics cards on my new Win-11 Pro machine. Digging deep into research, and from viewing other threads, it appears that your DVD version of RF 9.5 (upgrades thru .038 / .068) uses DriectX9, which is no longer / hasn't been supported by Intel. My machine's integrated vid card uses DirectX12. As to some "fixes", I went to several other hackers' sites about this. Man, I'll need a PhD in Code-Hacking just to make this RF practice Sim work on my new Win-11 Pro machine. I have no clue what your RF9.5 Evolution or RF9.5S is all about. I don't "fly" this Sim for fun; I use it for "practice" when I can't fly my 4- of 1.2M and 1.5M class Horizon-Hobby RC planes due to weather conditions. I guess I'll just have to wait until you all come up with a "fix", much like you all did when Norton, et al, considered your Launcher files as a virus. Thanks.

Attachments

• DirectX Support.jpg
    DirectX Support.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 6
  • DirectX Support 2.jpg
    DirectX Support 2.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 6
@SPQR33, just to clarify because I think there might be some confusion on this: "flightengr" is another user like you, not a representative of Horizon Hobby. (From what I've seen he is knowledgeable, though!)

As you have discovered, Intel dropped support for DirectX 9 in the integrated graphics processors built into their recent processors (12th gen and above). That means software that is built using DirectX 9 will not run on them. As you have also seen, a potential workaround exists for RealFlight. For some reason it is only sometimes effective with RealFlight 9, though, unfortunately.

Re: Product versions and names:
  • RealFlight 9 is, well, RealFlight 9. It was released on DVD, as a digital download straight from Horizon Hobby, and on Steam.
  • RealFlight 9.5 is a free update to RealFlight 9.
  • RealFlight 9.5S is a free update to RealFlight 9 but is available only through Steam. Users who originally purchased RF9 on Steam received it automatically. Users who purchased a different, non-Steam version of RF9 are also eligible to receive it for free, but must first convert their RF9 copy into a Steam version. That is accomplished by exchanging one's RF serial number for a Steam key (more info here).
  • RealFlight Evolution is the latest version of RF. (Learn more here.) Like 9.5S, it can be purchased directly from Steam as well as hobby shops (brick & mortar or online), though ultimately you will download the software from Steam regardless of where you purchase it.
We are working on a DirectX update to RealFlight Evolution that will eliminate these issues.

I think your options are:
  1. Purchase a standalone graphics card for your new PC. As long as it supports DirectX 9, RealFlight will run fine with it.
  2. Purchase RealFlight Evolution now and download the available beta workaround for the above issue.
  3. Purchase RealFlight Evolution later after we have released the DirectX update.
Options 1 & 3 are the safest and basically guaranteed to work, though only one of them gets you flying right away, and it is considerably more expensive. Option 2 would probably work for you; it seems to work for almost everybody who tries it, though there is some small risk that you would end up being an exception. In that case, you would simply wait for the DirectX update (or revisit option 1).

Note that as an RF9 owner you are eligible for a discount on Evolution. That's a separate topic that I won't go into right now because this message is already getting long. If you're interested in more info, just ask.

Sir: See your other post. And nope, I got no clue about this. I don't have a laptop; it's an HP Pavilion Desktop tower with only the integrated Intel vid system, no Nvidia anything. I can still practice with my old Win-7 machine, though with now having 2- computers running thru a 4- port VGA KVM switch, and my old unit uses a DVI connection with adapter, well, the screen is a little pink-ish. I'm trying to reach HP to see if they have a different vid card I can install on the board. If not, I'll have to wait for you all to create a fix that works for everyone.

I'm trying to reach HP to see if they have a different vid card I can install on the board.
I'd like to point out: You don't need to "reach HP" to obtain a compatible graphics card. My experience has been that buying ANY add in from the main-line PC manufacturer is more expensive than buying it on the open market. Compatible graphics cards can be obtained from any reputable computer shop or online, or even through ebay. Compatible cards could be obtained for as little as $50 or as expensive as $1000 or more.

I just installed Rf9 on my new Dell laptop with Windows 11. All a get is a picture of a jet plane on a runway. It won't do a thing. No options to select. It worked OK on my old computer.

Sir: Perhaps I could have stated this much better. If HP does offer a DirectX9 compatible vid card, that means that my desktop tower has the slots on its board. I'll then know which / what to buy from someone else. Since my machine is only 3 weeks old and under warranty, I'll have the Geek Squad do the install. Sorry for the confusion. I'll let you know if it all works out.

Sir: Perhaps I could have stated this much better. If HP does offer a DirectX9 compatible vid card, that means that my desktop tower has the slots on its board. I'll then know which / what to buy from someone else. Since my machine is only 3 weeks old and under warranty, I'll have the Geek Squad do the install. Sorry for the confusion. I'll let you know if it all works out.
In my opinion you should buy a video card with an NVIDIA graphics chip in it they have the most stable drivers and AMD cards (Radeon) often have problems running RealFlight.

Sir: Learned that HP doesn't offer vid cards. My Win-11 Pro desktop tower machine has a PCle x16 slot; I need a card with DVI/VGA/HDMI/USB 2.0 to work with my 2-port KVM switch. Found several used Nvidia (many versions) on eBay from $15. up to $250. And Amazon new from $70 up to $1,250. All list as DirectX 11 and 12, runs with Win 10 and 11; but the sellers can't say if they support DirectX9. Every search for a DirectX 9 supported vid card shows they don't exist anymore. The only old / used one I did find would only run on Win 2K, ME, Vista, and XP-SP3. Not even on Win-7. I'll keep searching. Worst case, I guess that I'll just have to keep re-routing / switching around several cables and run RF9.50.038 on my old Win-7 machine when I want to practice takeoffs / touch & goes / landings... that is until old Betsy blows up. Next stop, Best Buy's Geek Squad.

You might mention which model nvidia cards you found. Being honest virtually all nvidia cards will support DX9. Yes DX9 is old and not usually listed in the newer cards but nvidia cards still support it. But don't go too cheap. I'll let someone more familiar with the newer cards advice you better. But I have an NVIDIA MSI GTX 1080 and it works great, but you don't need a card that powerful for RealFlight Evolution or RealFlight 9.

Just back from Best Buy Geeks. Better yet, see this: " https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pny-nv...0-graphics-card-black/5901353.p?skuId=5901353 ". Copy/paste in your browser. It's $122. If I have the Geeks install it, it's only $85. Backward compatible to DirectX 7, 8, and 9 for Light Gaming. Now to get that new 2-Port DVI/USB2.0 KVM switch so I can use both my new and my old machines with one monitor, keyboard and mouse. If this all works, I'll be flying within 2- weeks or so.

Hum.. Not what I would buy but it may work. What resolution do you run your desktop and games at? It's pretty low power but I would guess it's about as powerful or a bit more than the built-in graphics. I'll let someone else advise because I know virtually nothing about the lowest range graphics cards I always buy something about 400-500 dollars (depending).

To me the GTX 1630 looks pretty good, but you need two slots and a 6 pin power cable. What is your computers exact model number?

Nope, I don't play any games on my machines. I'm a retired sales and applications engineer in heavy industry repairs/services. I use it for e-mails, research, and training of new sales engineers. Your RF 9.5xxx ran fine on my old HP Pavilion running Win-7 Home Premium, with its integrated vid card. Remember, I use your RF 9.5xxx only for flight practice when I can't get to my nearby RC field to fly my small fleet of 4- of 1.2m and 1.5m class of RC planes. Screen set at 1920x1200. It's an HP Pavilion # TP01-3055xt desktop. Has 310w power supply. One PCle x 16 slot. Other specs online @ HP.com. The card from Best Buy was the V2 version of this G-Force series; I found on Amazon the V5 version for less money; ships free. And I got from Amazon that 2- port DVI/USB 2.0 KVM switch, with a 10% off coupon, ships free. Now no more "pink tint" on my old machine using that DVI to VGA adapter stuff. I hope it all works out in the end.

I have a 1920x1200 monitor too. Since you don't do any other gaming I would think that card would be sufficient. It surely is more powerful than the built-in graphics so it should run RF 9.5 just fine. Just don't expect super high frame rates.

But I'm going to call in @Bill Stuntz he does a lot of work with low cost graphics cards so if he thinks it will work it should.

Questions: Do you ever work on your models? Do you know how to plug in a servo or a battery pack? Do you own any tools, specifically a screwdriver? Can you figure out how to remove the cover from your new PC? If the answers are "yes" it's crazy to pay Geek Squad $85 to remove the cover & plug in the video card. It's actually easier than just about anything you do to setup, maintain, or repair your models. It's not rocket science. Win11 is smart enough to recognize that there's a new video card and will automatically load drivers that work with it.

Questions: Do you ever work on your models? Do you know how to plug in a servo or a battery pack? Do you own any tools, specifically a screwdriver? Can you figure out how to remove the cover from your new PC? If the answers are "yes" it's crazy to pay Geek Squad $85 to remove the cover & plug in the video card. It's actually easier than just about anything you do to setup, maintain, or repair your models. It's not rocket science. Win11 is smart enough to recognize that there's a new video card and will automatically load drivers that work with it.
The only thing is since your computer is already setup to use the Built-In graphics you may need to make a change in the BIOS to tell it to use the Add-In graphics instead of the Built-In graphics. What do you think Bill?

I didn't see technoid's post until after I posted my suggestion. It should work just fine. HP's tend to automatically disable the onboard graphics when an add-in is installed. The 1030 is probably a good choice because the HP's 320W power supply won't support anything much better. It should be fine for RF on a monitor, but won't be adequate for VR.

Last edited:
Back