Saturn V Rocket Request.

Vikingwarrior

If anybody could make a model of the Saturn V rocket that would be great. Especially if you made it come apart in stages. That might be something to do for any of you out there that are bored.....

I didn't put it in the aircraft request because, it's not much of an aircraft, more of a spacecraft. If there was a spacecraft request thread, I would put it in there, but there isn't one

Attachments

• Saturn V.jpg
    Saturn V.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 16
  • Saturn V schematic.jpg
    Saturn V schematic.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Saturn V thrust.jpg
    Saturn V thrust.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
You know, After my V-2 I lost ambition to do this. Dunno how to get teh whole stage thing worked out. Especially since the thruster would have to be located in a funny location and not really make the rocket behave well. I'm sure it can be done but getting it to fly will be the hard part. It should also be fairly straight forward to do. rcplanefubar... wanna chime in here? sort of up your alley.

I would much rather do the the space shuttle at least that way you have something to glide back down to the runway with.

But thanks for thinking of me :rolleyes: :D

Here are two nice pictures, couldn't find 3 views...

6150977UfwyAinihN_fs.jpg

Shuttle-Discovery.jpg

Last edited:
spaceshuttle.gif

a_shuttle.jpg

The Space Shuttle would be a very cool addition to the simulator, even if it was just for landing.

Hope this helps! :)

willsonman said:
You know, After my V-2 I lost ambition to do this. Dunno how to get teh whole stage thing worked out. Especially since the thruster would have to be located in a funny location and not really make the rocket behave well. I'm sure it can be done but getting it to fly will be the hard part. It should also be fairly straight forward to do. rcplanefubar... wanna chime in here? sort of up your alley.

Or you could just have alot of engines, each stage engine having a bit more fuel than the one before it. If you used turbines, you could time how long it takes the first engine to run out of gas, and set that time as the spool up time for the second engine.

Vikingwarrior said:
Or you could just have alot of engines, each stage engine having a bit more fuel than the one before it. If you used turbines, you could time how long it takes the first engine to run out of gas, and set that time as the spool up time for the second engine.
thats a pretty good idea actually. It would be easier to have the stages break off in G4. The drop able items make things much more siple to set up physics wise.

It should be easy to set up anyways, just use the 3 position switch to release each stage, there are only 3 stages afterall....But, I don't know, I'm not so good at the 3D modeling stuff.......or the Colorschemes.....

A space shuttle would be good as well, If you made it able to release the boosters then the oxygen tank......Maybe a Version of it where you put the shuttle onto an aircraft like an Antonov An-225, and have the aircraft release the shuttle...you could then glide the shuttle down unpowered........(have the engines fall off physically on the carrier craft so it just glides down when released.

Vikingwarrior said:

or you could have them activated whith many switches :)

Wolf Phantom II said:
I think it would be cool to have a parachute for that, Opjose once told me about some type of panel of wings that can make it glide down.
Looks good.

i wonder how the parachute would work maby a bunch of tiny wings weaved toghether so it will glide down then here would you put the parachute when its not deployed :confused:

Had some time to work on this for a few minutes. See pics. I removed 2 of the 4 panels just below the command module where the lunar module would be. NOT going to model that but... I have an idea I would like to try for the parachute. I am trying to keep the poly count low on this so I have more freedom with the parachute. Basically I was watching mythbusters... the one about the lead balloon... and I got the idea that I could just make a semi-sphere and intrude it then make LOTS of loop cuts then position LOTS of pivot points so that each piece would end up inside the CM. Then when the gear switch is used they pivots would be activated and the whole this would shoot out. It would be messy animation but this way the tedious task of assigning moveable pods with flat stabilizer could be applied and I am thinking the inverted "cup" shape would be fairly realistic in terms of a parachute effect.

Attachments

• Stage1.JPG
    Stage1.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Stage2.JPG
    Stage2.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 2
  • stage3.JPG
    stage3.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 3
  • SM&CM.JPG
    SM&CM.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 4
Well......

I watched an episode of JUNKYARD WARS, and the made a rocket that when it reached it's peak heigth, it would spin down to earth much like a heli. It had four blades attached to the fuse, and would open upon decent. It did not seperate as this one will do, but it is still a cool thought, indeed.

willsonman said:
Had some time to work on this for a few minutes. See pics. I removed 2 of the 4 panels just below the command module where the lunar module would be. NOT going to model that but... I have an idea I would like to try for the parachute.
Mabe someone could make a Lunar Module Seperate :)

Back