Super Gee II

Lofting.

Wings made on all the models so far have been by extruding from the root airfoil and then shape as needed. The lofting technique is reported to also be useful, but have had no success with it so far. Would like to add to the list of earned techniques. Following Boof's tut, the shape is clearly outlined and shown, but there is no selection displayed for the last "get shape" step.
Am obviously missing a setting or sequence order.

In addition to myself, others may be having difficulty with this-- now or in the future.

Suggestions of things to check for?

Thanks

I see you have an overlay of the plans in 3ds Max; would you mind sharing a quick tip in how you did so?

Thanks
Curtis
Montana

Curtis,

Was off the SG2 for a day, but will return to it tonight, and should finish up the editing and mapping, and post a few more pics. That might be a good time to go through Boof's render tut as I've basically been doing them as default, so there is lots of room for improvement there.

Next up is a color scheme.
I know you will be doing one as well, but I'll do the initial one. CS work is where I have the least keyboard/mouse time in the modeling process and I benefit from every plane. Having said (admitted!) that, what color scheme ideas do you have for the SG2 EA?

Thanks

Fly Electric,

Wow, you're fast!

I'm not that particular, but I'd say in honor of Dr. Mark Drela the designer perhaps go with his design.

The yellow is kevlar. The darker patches of Kevlar in the wings center are kevlar doublers thus darker due to two layers. The black down the wing is Carbon fiber and the red and blue well, that's just paint. ;-)

More photos are here as well as a view of the bottom of the wing.
http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articles/supergee/SuperGeeII.htm

Like I say though, I'm not that particular.

The painting is going to be the hardest bit for me I believe in this process. The flight testing and tuning should come fairly simple as I have over 30 years of model experience and the last twenty in gliders.

Curtis

Attachments

• Dr. Drela SuperGeeII.png
    Dr. Drela SuperGeeII.png
    91.9 KB · Views: 8
Not at the CS stage on this plane yet, but questions in advance for the experts:

1. The PS eye dropper should be able to make a good copy of the red, blue, and bright yellow, true?
2. The wing pylon looks like it has a polished brass surface (unless that is a kevlar reflection). Suggestions to make a polished brass material?
3. There are some good pictures of the kevlar. The eye dropper can get that color
as well, but how can the fabric pattern be copied?

Thanks

Attachments

• image023.jpg
    image023.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 3
  • image033.jpg
    image033.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 4
  • image015.jpg
    image015.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 4
  • image013.jpg
    image013.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 3
  • image027.jpg
    image027.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 5
1. The PS eye dropper should be able to make a good copy of the red, blue, and bright yellow, true?
2. The wing pylon looks like it has a polished brass surface (unless that is a kevlar reflection). Suggestions to make a polished brass material?
3. There are some good pictures of the kevlar. The eye dropper can get that color
as well, but how can the fabric pattern be copied?
1. The eye dropper will pick up a single pixel's color. In a photo that may or may not be what you are looking for. Better bet is get RGB values of standard colors from Simmer's Paint Shop http://www.simmerspaintshop.com/page-colorindex.html
2. The settings I use for Brass are Diffuse & Ambient color 203R 168G 47B Specular 45 Gloss 40. Your mileage may vary, but I like mine shiny.
3. Use a mask layer to add a fabric texture to the kevlar color (or find a JPG on line, I don't have one in my library or I'd post it).

Thanks guys for the info.
Good call on the seamless fabric Jeff. I believe that is MTOTD submitted by Boof.

Thanks for all the reference info Doug-- am sure I'll have a question or two when the time comes.

Update:
Things did not move quite as fast as expected (and I'm sure that never happens to anyone else :rolleyes:). There are a few odds & ends to finish off, but the VS & Rudder were not quite as I wanted them to look (to match the plans) and it took a few passes until that was correct.
This model has the control surfaces hinged on outside edges and some large throws to go with them. So that was added including enough gap allow the full travel distance specified in the plans.

The last items to add are the wing and HS supports, but before starting that the smoothing groups were applied to the flying surfaces. I then saw there is some unusual dark spots on the wing tips and VS tip. My first thought was some triangle errors. The color changes with the light angle, going from none to completely black. Triangle errors cause shading distortions but lighting is different in RF 6.5 so it may be that error? The curious thing about this problem is the color is very concentrated in area and shade.

The wing and HS tips are similar in shape, but happen to be build differently. The HS uses more of the radial technique and does not have the dark spot problem. I'm thinking of changing the wing tips to the same radial construction as the HS. Comments?

Thanks

Attachments

• ScreenShot1355482101.jpg
    ScreenShot1355482101.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 13
  • ScreenShot1355482029.jpg
    ScreenShot1355482029.jpg
    495.4 KB · Views: 15
  • SG2 HS tip.jpg
    SG2 HS tip.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 10
  • SG2 wing tip.jpg
    SG2 wing tip.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 10
Double check SGs in those areas. If all is correct, check for double verts or broken edges.

Look at the polys on your wing tip. If two adjacent polyfaces relative angle is more than 45° and you put them in the same smoothing group you will get a shading error along the border. This also occurs at vert locations. Polys sharing a vert that have a relative angle of more than 45° a shading error emanating from the vert will show.
I made a little visual aid.

Attachments

• SmoothingGroups.png
    SmoothingGroups.png
    129 KB · Views: 13
Here is a photo of my PoleCat Aero XP3.

This shows the carbon fiber on the forward part of the wing, Kevlar on the back half and the darkened Kevlar are the doublers. Also the boom carbon color and the 3oz fiberglass tape holding the two wing halves together.

Note: the Carbon is oriented 0-90 degrees for wing bending stiffness and the Kevlar is 45 degrees (bias) to prevent twisting of the wing.

Curtis

Attachments

• Kevlar and Carbon Fiber.jpg
    Kevlar and Carbon Fiber.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 12
Thanks for the picture Curtis.
Interesting the way the carbon fiber and kevlar are positioned to take make optimum use of their strengths. Working on a virtual plane and learning more about some of the real world ones-- great!

Shading issue #2

Thanks Boof for the tip (no pun intended there). There were indeed some polys selected on the opposite side in the same SG :eek:

Andy:
When you mentioned broken edges, did you mean open geometry?

The remaining shading issue are dark--> black colors of some of the polys.
These are on the length of the fuse in two areas, and also on the VS tip.
It is appears to be an angle related issue, because if the edge between two of those polys is moved out, the shading lightens up. If the fuse is rotated, the shading depth remains the same.
For both the fuse and VS, no SGs are applied. No double verts or open geometry has been found.
The wing pylon was finished this morning and I see one of its polys has a dark poly.

Comments?

Thanks

With this issue fixed, the SG2 should will be ready for mapping.

Attachments

• shading 1.jpg
    shading 1.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 8
  • shading 2.jpg
    shading 2.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 7
  • shading 3.jpg
    shading 3.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 6
  • shading 4.jpg
    shading 4.jpg