Techair Commander EP

Dumb ole me I messed up again. I should have named the original foam beta cs I uploaded this morning Techair Commander EP Blue Foam but I left out the blue part of the name. I just went back and deleted the original beta cs I uploaded and replaced it with one with the correct name. I didn't want anymore people getting it with the wrong name.

You can use the Manage User Files option to delete the original beta cs I uploaded and then grab the new one and import it or just keep the original, they're both the same only the name changed. Sorry about the confusion. Here's a link to my post where I uploaded the renamed cs.

https://forums.realflight.com/index.php?threads/techair-commander-ep.57547/post-359628

The red looks pretty close to the pictures I have seen, and it fly's better than the blue version (joking)! They both look great to me and while the foam texture in the pictures doesn't look that great, it does add a little something when you're in RealFlight.

The red looks pretty close to the pictures I have seen, and it fly's better than the blue version (joking)! They both look great to me and while the foam texture in the pictures doesn't look that great, it does add a little something when you're in RealFlight.
Thanks. So which one would you rather fly, standard or foam? I'm assuming the foam version since you said it adds a little something. But I can release both normal and foam red color schemes.

Thanks. So which one would you rather fly, standard or foam? I'm assuming the foam version since you said it adds a little something. But I can release both normal and foam red color schemes.
Honestly both foam and non foam look great, the foam texture is very subtle in RealFlight and I don't know that most people would even notice it. I don't have a preference for either one and would be ok if you only released the blue one even. I have a lot of fun flying it and appreciate all the work you have put into it including the color schemes.

Honestly both foam and non foam look great, the foam texture is very subtle in RealFlight and I don't know that most people would even notice it. I don't have a preference for either one and would be ok if you only released the blue one even. I have a lot of fun flying it and appreciate all the work you have put into it including the color schemes.
Okay thanks. You guys that own the real plane is why I did the foam color schemes. And like you said you can't really see the foam unless you look at it in the editor so it really doesn't mean much.

The real plane (foamy) is capable of using 3s or 4s battery. Using a 3s, 11.1V 2200mAh 50C or 30C, requires a 13 x 8e Prop. While using a 14.8V 2200mAh 4S 30C or 50C, requires a 12 x 6e prop. It uses an Outrunner, 3720-800Kv, 14 pole motor.
I checked what battery you placed in it and it appears to be a 6s??? I could be wrong. The real question is how accurate do you want it to be the the foamy?

Below is a picture of my actual Commander. The colour looks a pretty good match to me. I put larger wheels on mine which are more suited to the strip we use for flying and they are too big for the fairings so I've dispensed with them. I think your foam version is nice but as you say you only see it if you look really closely.

1677942563219.jpeg

The real plane (foamy) is capable of using 3s or 4s battery. Using a 3s, 11.1V 2200mAh 50C or 30C, requires a 13 x 8e Prop. While using a 14.8V 2200mAh 4S 30C or 50C, requires a 12 x 6e prop. It uses an Outrunner, 3720-800Kv, 14 pole motor.
I checked what battery you placed in it and it appears to be a 6s??? I could be wrong. The real question is how accurate do you want it to be the the foamy?
I named my version Techair Commander to set it apart from the e-Flite Commander. I like large balsa planes so my version is a scratch built balsa version with an 84 inch wingspan instead of a Foam 55 inch wingspan like the e-Flite Commander has. So there are definite differences between them.

Now someone could create an AV (aircraft variant) and adjust the physics to make it an exact copy of the e-Flite commander, and if RealFlight doesn't release their version of the Commander soon someone probably will. But until then you at least have a plane that looks the part and fly's close to the e-Flite Commander. That's the best I can do since I like large built-up planes. I'm sorry if it's not to your liking but like I said someone could create an AV to make it look and fly exactly like the e-Flite Commander.

Below is a picture of my actual Commander. The colour looks a pretty good match to me. I put larger wheels on mine which are more suited to the strip we use for flying and they are too big for the fairings so I've dispensed with them. I think your foam version is nice but as you say you only see it if you look really closely.

View attachment 133709
Thanks @GRM42 that's exactly what I needed, feedback from a person with the real plane. And yes the color matches really well I think. So now I can feel good about releasing the red color scheme too.

I just finished the tweaks to the physics (cameras and brakes) so it looks like all that's left is the specular map so the planes different parts have their gloss adjusted.

I named my version Techair Commander to set it apart from the e-Flite Commander. I like large balsa planes so my version is a scratch built balsa version with an 84 inch wingspan instead of a Foam 55 inch wingspan like the e-Flite Commander has. So there are definite differences between them.

Now someone could create an AV (aircraft variant) and adjust the physics to make it an exact copy of the e-Flite commander, and if RealFlight doesn't release their version of the Commander soon someone probably will. But until then you at least have a plane that looks the part and fly's close to the e-Flite Commander. That's the best I can do since I like large built-up planes. I'm sorry if it's not to your liking but like I said someone could create an AV to make it look and fly exactly like the e-Flite Commander.
It is to my liking, never said it wasn't. It was more of a question than anything. I think it's great and maybe someday I will learn how to build one from scratch. Thank you.....

It is to my liking, never said it wasn't. It was more of a question than anything. I think it's great and maybe someday I will learn how to build one from scratch. Thank you....g
No sweat I can tell you like the plane, it's just not ideal for a person wanting to fly the real thing. And I understand that and expected some comparison comments. And my apology was for everyone looking for the real plane and a little disappointed in finding something a bit different.

I've been thinking about what to release after testing the color schemes. I think I'll release it with the Blue color scheme and also release the Red color scheme at the same time. But since everyone seems to agree the foam color schemes don't show much unless you look at them in the editor and then the foam texture is just okay, not great, so I won't release the foam color schemes until someone creates an e-Flite mPd Commander AV which would be nice to have a foam color scheme to go with it.

So I need to do the spec map now to finish the plane.

I did find something I wanted to change. I added a little more gloss to the main plane parts. About what you'd see in a plane covered by UltraCote.

I decided to change the name at release and the first part of the release notes will explain what the plane is. Hopefully this will stop any confusion between my version of the Commander and the E-Flite version. I'm a giant scale guy and never use electronic stabilization.

The release notes will start off like this.

The Techair Commander GS is a giant scale version of the popular Commander created by E-Flite. It's a balsa built-up version with an 84 inch wingspan, a Hacker Q80 8M motor, and a 10 cell 5,000 mAh battery.

For some reason I can't stop tweaking. I did a small tweak to the physics today so I'll fly it a little more to check it out. Hopefully soon I'll stop tweaking and release it.

Back