Aerobat

I started working on the side view. The mid wing does make it a little harder, but I think this looks good and follows my example. I'm really glad I put the half wheel pants on they're really growing on me.

Aerobat 47.jpgAerobat 48.jpg

Is there enough contrast between the top/bottom CS? Detecting upright/inverted at a distance might be problematic with the red top/bottom of the fuselage.

Is there enough contrast between the top/bottom CS? Detecting upright/inverted at a distance might be problematic with the red top/bottom of the fuselage.
I've never had a problem detecting the planes attitude so I normally make them symmetric. My example plane has straight stripes on the bottom but I think I'll stick with the same stripes top and bottom. At much of a distance the plane turns into a dark blob to me.

My thinking was to carry the white all the way around the bottom, coming to a point under the nose... sorta continuing the white angle like a broad arrowhead. Think of the tip of a hypodermic needle.

My thinking was to carry the white all the way around the bottom, coming to a point under the nose... sorta continuing the white angle like a broad arrowhead.
This is an early look I just started working on the side. If you look at the bottom view where the white wraps around, the whole bottom of the fuselage will be white except for a rounded off area at the front where you see the white doesn't go all the way to the end of the fuselage. Right now I'm finishing the side stripes, there's still a couple of small silver ones to add. Then I'll duplicate them to the other side of the fuselage and paint the bottom of the fuselage white and add the rounded off area on the bottom in the front.

In the view you posted, the bottom is solid red. I wanted to encourage continuing the white all the way around, like you're describing. But making the bottom look like the buisness end of a hypodermic needle appeals to me. The angle on the sides made me think of it.

In the view you posted, the bottom is solid red. I wanted to encourage continuing the white all the way around, like you're describing. But making the bottom look like the buisness end of a hypodermic needle appeals to me. The angle on the sides made me think of it.
I tend to post in-work pictures so the plane will be mostly like you mentioned in the end. But the area on the bottom in the front won't come to a point it will be rounded. So it won't look like a needle.

A bit more progress on the side stripes. I added the part that goes across the rudder. Now I have a couple of silver stripes to add. Sorry for the baby steps update but I get tired of working so I take a picture to share.

EDIT: I just finished adding the silver highlight stripes so I'll add another picture showing them. Now it's time to duplicate the stripes on the other side and paint the bottom of the fuselage white.

Aerobat 49.jpgAerobat 50.jpg

Last edited:
Back