Aerobat

Wow. It keeps looking better and better. Just noticed something. Should the gray stripe on the rudder go all the way back to the trailing edge. Like on the wing and elevator. Just asking. :unsure: But yes it does look great Tech. Ok my bad I do notice the small stripe on the wing is similar.

Wow. It keeps looking better and better. Just noticed something. Should the gray stripe on the rudder go all the way back to the trailing edge. Like on the wing and elevator. Just asking. :unsure: But yes it does look great Tech. Ok my bad I do notice the small stripe on the wing is similar.
Thanks, that is inconsistent. The same stripe on the wing and hstab go all the way. I'll test making it go all the way to the trailing edge. I imagine it will look better that way.

@rcdoski If you're curious about that stripe not going all the way there was a reason for it. (I forgot to check it). I use Photoshop "paths" to create stripes so you just draw an outline of the stripe where you want it using the path tool. Then you can select that path and fill it, put a stroke on it, and lots of things. So when I created the VStab stripes I copied and pasted one set of the HStab paths and rotated them 90 degrees to make the VStab paths. But the HStab has a wide angle for rudder spacing so that stripe was short and I forgot to check it when I resized the rotated HStab paths to create the VStab paths. Just thought you might be interested.

I finished the wrap around stripes but I still have a tweak or two I want to do. Then I need to adjust the transparency for the wings, hstab, and vstab so there's a little bit of see through. Right now I'm thinking I only want a tiny bit of see through when you're looking close or hovering. Kind of like you normally see but not with transparent covering. I may do a CS that shows off the balsa build structure but honestly not many download my personal designs so I don't have much incentive to do that. This plane is turning out pretty nice I think.

I did the tweak I mentioned on the CS and added a little bit of transparency to the wings, hstab, and vstab so you can see the internal structure a little when you're close or hovering in front of you. Just a tiny bit so you see some shading where the internal structure is. Here's a picture from the editor so you can see what I mean. I might tweak it after I look at it a little more. I also may add a little less transparency where the color scheme is to make it stand out a little more. Right now you can see through it the same as everywhere else.

Aerobat 57.jpg

I went ahead and worked on the transparency again. I put a mask on all the stripes and made their transparency zero so you can't see through them at all. So all the blue and silver stripes are opaque. Then I made the rest of the internal structure just a tiny bit more transparent so you can see the internal structure a little more. It's far from see through but it does show the internal structure a little better.

So, any opinions on it?

Aerobat 58.jpg

I did one more tweak to the transparency and it seems the color scheme is finished. Now I need to create the spec map, but that should be fairly easy. So things are moving right along. I do enjoy flying this plane it looks pretty nice in the air. Ha, but I haven't done anything to the physics yet so I'm still flying it with my reference physics. (from the addict I did quite a while ago) Just for the record this plane has a 90 inch wingspan.

I started working on the physics. I adjusted the part locations and sizes and did the first pass of the part weights. It seems to fly pretty well so I'll fly it a little more and see if I want to make any adjustments. Once I get to that point I'll upload a beta for you to try out. I do have a couple of small tweaks I want to do, nothing you would normally see but up close in the editor I can see it. So it's getting close now.

tech you have the physics down pat , if you do enough of them you can get really close on size and weights for parts , looking excellent as usual .
Thanks Doug. What I generally do for the weight of the plane is check several ARFs with the same wingspan and use their weight range. I think in RealFlight the total weight is more important and the individual part weights. (within reason)

Here's a beta for you to play with, please let me know if you see anything wrong. I still have a few tweaks to do to the physics but they aren't anything that affects the flying. I may add smoke before I release it I like to fly with it sometimes.

Brake: Up Elevator

On Board Cameras

Cinema Cam: F4
Plane Front: F5
Plane Left: F6
Plane Right: F7

Aerobat 60.jpg

Attachments

• Aerobat_EA.RFX
    2.1 MB · Views: 11
I started working on a full balsa color scheme so here's a beta if you'd like to see it in person. I don't know what it will end up like, and the color may change, but here's a start. I guess a pretty simple CS with stripes just on the balsa parts (maybe), not sure at this point. Any thoughts you have would be welcome. Just a silly all balsa plane like you see now and then. The color right now is the same red all over as the normal plane with the transparency set to 35%.

Aerobat Balsa 01.jpgAerobat Balsa 02.jpg

Attachments

• Aerobat Balsa_CS.RFX
    5.9 MB · Views: 3
Back