Air Tractor Fire Boss

The AT-802 is in RF and after much ado I finally got the landing gear figured out. This the first time I used helper objects. It's actually easier than I've thought in the past. I'll get the rest of the physics completed tomorrow hopefully. Then I'll get on the CS.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1308026216.jpg
    ScreenShot1308026216.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 20
  • ScreenShot1308026239.jpg
    ScreenShot1308026239.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 18
  • ScreenShot1308026514.jpg
    ScreenShot1308026514.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 20
I can't wait to see how your model behaves on the water. The one I created had weird float tendancies. I figure I never refined my model but still, I never cared how my model reacted. I always had to let ot take off on it's own--too much drag when pulling back on the stick. My flaps were incorrect too. LOL.

I haven't started in with the water physics yet but I do see the same tenancies you noticed. I have to let her rise on her own. If I fight it it seems as if there is a water tension that needs to be over come and when the floats break the surface she rolls hard left. It may be the dualies dragging in the water and need to be raised a bit more. I don't know. :confused:

I figured out the deal with the floats. The higher the displacement value percentage the more buoyant a given object will be. A value of 500 will put the floats right up on top of the water. The real problem was the the big set of dualies setting in the water under the floats. I raised the displacement value and it helped quite a bit. The other important value was flooded displacement percentage. By default objects other than floats are given a value of 80. Which means it will take on water. 4 water logged tires hanging under the floats wasn't helping. With those changes the water behavior is normal. Now that the ground and water handling are under control I can focus on flight. Went back into max and modeled more detail. Roll cage in the cockpit, throttle, seat belts, cleats on the floats, and the hopper top filler hardware.

Attachments

• AT_001.jpg
    AT_001.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 23
  • AT_002.jpg
    AT_002.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 30
  • AT_003.jpg
    AT_003.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 29
  • AT_004.jpg
    AT_004.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Poly.jpg
    Poly.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 26
I think I should nick name this one the Porcupine.

Attachments

• The Porcupine.jpg
    The Porcupine.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 29
An Idea

Make the button on the joystick click when you turn on smoke, are the controls and canopy doors going to move?

myfly021 said:
Make the button on the joystick click when you turn on smoke, are the controls and canopy doors going to move?
Yes all the controls are moving currently. I didn't think about the fire button thing. I could add that.

~CS_BULB Object question

Does any one know off hand what the maximum amount of time I can set the NUP_OnPeriodSec for a ~CS_BULB? Also can someone explain what the NUP_OffsetSec value controls. I thought that if I set this value differently between two individual lights that they would turn on and off alternately but this doesn't seem to be the case. The only clear information given is from nemo uk and the post only describes syntax. No definitions were given. My purpose is to have the flood lights under each wingtip stay on for the maximum amount of time and it to be off for the minimum amount. I know that I could make them a glow object but the lights bulb geometry wouldn't show during the day, and I want to avoid doubling the geometry. Any help? :confused:

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the max is, but the offset is so that you can sequence multiple flashers (like on the amusement park). Using the bulb object does not double geometry, it is your geometry.

One light gets defined to be on for two seconds then off for two with no offset, then on the second light you do the same but with a two second offset. The second light will then not start it's "on" sequence until the offset expires. In this manner your two lights will alternate.

I'm pretty sure it's the first one, but would have to look it up to confirm.

EDIT: Yep, checking my notes:
~CS_BULB_ objects are visible both in daylight and night.
~CS_GLOW_ objects are only visible at night.

NUP_OffPeriodSEC=
NUP_OnPeriodSEC=
NUP_OffsetSEC=

Last edited:
NUP_DelaySEC= is used for the 3ds2kexbeta converter,
NUP_OffsetSEC=is for Max Users.
There are subtle differences between the converter & Max Plug-in.
Under carriage NUP's differ with the Converter from the tutorials,which are specifically for Max.
ReadMe in converter gives the right NUP's for Non-Max Users. :)

The only thing left is the CS. This one won't be for everyone because of the high poly count. Like I said initially I didn't worry about poly count. If you want to fly an AT and you have a slower computer you can find one HERE. It's pplace's AT402. The file size is very small.

Attachments

• Christmas.jpg
    Christmas.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 20
bosshawg said:
NUP_DelaySEC= is used for the 3ds2kexbeta converter,
NUP_OffsetSEC=is for Max Users.
There are subtle differences between the converter & Max Plug-in.
Under carriage NUP's differ with the Converter from the tutorials,which are specifically for Max.
ReadMe in converter gives the right NUP's for Non-Max Users. :)
Good to know bosshawg. Thanks :)

Back