Focke-Wulf 190 D9 development thread

crashed again said:
may be for the simple reason so that ALL the pivots point in the same direction as the plane fly's?
Good theory, but I think you have to be a little more specific. You could safely state that the Y axis of the pivot points (green) are all generally orientated toward the front of the airplane.

My statement, however, about the primary axis of rotation is still true but might be stated clearer for better understanding. How's this sound?

The Y axes of the pivot points (green) for all moving parts remain basically orientated toward the front of the airplane, however, the pivot point X axes (red) must be rotated around to align with the rotation axis of each moving part (i.e. hinge line or axle); except for the spinner and prop spawn which remain oriented along the pivot point's Y axis (green).

For control surfaces, start by moving the pivot point to the center of the control surface's hinge line. Then rotate the pivot point around the Y axis to bring the pivot point's X axis (red) into alignment with the hinge line, when viewed from the front of the aircraft. Lastly, while viewing from the top of the aircraft, rotate the pivot point around the Z axis to again align the pivot point's X axis (red) with the hinge line. Check the alignment from all angles and make fine adjustments as necessary.

Last edited:
Just adding a response to get this thread up towards the top again. This is one of....if not....the best thread to help people interested in modeling. I reference back to this thread quite a bit to check up on things I might forget.

I would like to see this thread as a "Sticky" in "Designer's Corner"

Thanks to dhk79 for his time and effort put into helping everyone

Dhk79 can you please give me some tips on making airplanes im new to wings 3d it would be appreciated :) :eek:

This thread has a lot of good basic info in it. I also have a several separate ones on cutting control surfaces, preparing a plane (in MAX) for import, texturing, and doing landing gear that I email to people as they are ready for them.

A bounding box is just a cube with the dimensions of your final model. It is used to scale the images (3-views) that you will model from. Once the images are aligned and scaled, the box may be deleted as you won't need it any more.

Wingman57 said:
i dont get it when i cut how do i move the cuts
Wingman, it sounds very much like you need to read the instructions and learn how to use the program. Go to the Wings 3D site, download the manual, actually read the manual, and do the tutorial that starts on page 20.

You must learn to walk, before you can learn to fly.

Thank you for the great tutorial!
You gotta try the world model zero,it's a real "looker"! :D (please excuse the mess,just got done fixing it,a few P-38's shot at me. :) )

Attachments

• Picture_039.jpg
    Picture_039.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Picture_043.jpg
    Picture_043.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 56
  • Picture_038.jpg
    Picture_038.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 73
I've already done a Zero and it's on the swaps. If you want to do that scheme, I'll send you the master template.

BTW - It's posted under its real name. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
ok im confused

so how did you get the plane in to the boz and how did you get the boz because ive tried to do everything you said yo do but i cant figure out how to do it so help me plz
:confused:

what boz (box) are you referring to? The bounding box? That is used only to scale the 3-view drawings for the initial setup.

To do this you will need to:

1. First download and install Wings3D

2. In Wings3D right click in the screen and select "cube"

3. Now scale this cube or (box) to the correct wingspan you'd like your finished model to me.

4. Right click in the screen again and select "Image Plane"

5. Find where you saved the 3-views for the aircraft you want to model and open it into Wings 3D (I do the top view first)

6. Again rotate and scale the 3-view to the size of the box you made earlier.

7. Repeat for each of the other 3-views. (Make sure to take your time and scale them all nicely so they fit together really nice)

For a bit more information about scaling the Bounding Box: Click Me!! Go to Post #12)

Also for other questions you may have do a "search" on the forums, you may find answers to many of your future questions.

Also as a note: Once you have the finished model in Wings3D you still won't be able to import it directly into G3.5 or G4. There are more steps that will be needed (this is also in dhk79's build thread)

3DSmax alternative

I have only glanced at this tutorial, so please forgive a lack of detail.
From what I have gleaned though, it seems that somewhere along the line
of creating an aircraft, 3D studio is required ( for moving parts ?).
My question is simple, can another 3D modeling program such as Autodesk
Inventor or Solidworks be used instead of 3D Max, which has a monumental learning curve?
I know that Inventor can output .3ds files and I'm very comfortable with it. Is that what is required
for bringing models into realflight, a .3ds file ?

Thanks
Perry

3Dstudio or Gmax is required to set up the hiearchy.

The sticky at the top goes into detail about this.

Gmax is long discontinued and non-supported, but it is still available for free.

Thanks,
I plan to print out this tutorial and read it fully
so I'll have a better understanding of this.
Perry

Back