Focke-Wulf 190 D9 development thread

Mind reader

I was just going to ask if G-Max can do the pivots points and hiearchy because it is a Gamers Lite Ver of 3D Max .. thanks for the answers Op Jose :)

GMAX can do that, but it has other limitations. It's not just a lite version, it's a castrated version. It is very limited in the types of files it can both import and export. You will need another software application to finish and clean-up GMAX's output before it can be imported to RF.

Your best bet is to talk with someone who actually uses GMAX to create aircraft for RF. arb6591 is one member who does.

I only can recommend not to take GMAX. And that comes from the guy who wrote the tutorial for it. You have much more work to create the hierarchy and the additional information. Blender together with the script from rayvel is really better, not only in modelling and mapping, also exporting hierarchy and applying information in the .sup - file works automatically. That is why it also not makes sense to continue the tutorial. The export results with blender are much better.

Greets,

Max

Last edited:
I recently received a request to expand the modeling portion of this tutorial to more of a step-by-step process, to aid those not comfortable with the modeling process itself. This new tutorial is too big to post, so if you send me a PM with an email address I'll send it to you. - Doug

Hey Doug guess what! I got the 3-veiws set up correctly and scaled it as you suggested and it's shaping up! :D

I'm doing John Sharp's Nemesis right now. I'm having trouble on the foward part of the fusalauge, can you help me out there? I may have not extruded the cylinder on the right parts. I'm using the Print Screen Sys Rq button to try and take a screenshot of my progress but doesn't work. :confused:

Thanks a bunch though! I'm feeiling like a 3D modeler now! :)
Can you go through some steps with me?

Attachments

• 0560905.jpg
    0560905.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 3side.jpg
    3side.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 3top.jpg
    3top.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 3front.jpg
    3front.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 15
where to find the box

The Bounding Box is a term use for a CUBE made in Wings 3D. You make this cube to the width of the Models wing, and the length and height to match the model you are making. Then the Cube is saves as a the bounding box with the command " SAVE BOUNDING BOX " This later will allow you to make a 3d object and "SCALE TO SAVED BOUNDING BOX" scaling that object to the size you made the Z Y or X of the B Box or all three axis. This option is really only used for setting up the 3D view drawing of the model your making before you start.
Hope this helps.

I have downloaded Wings 3d. Is everything that I need to complete a flying model free? Can I just download a photo into Wings 3d and skip all the construction and paint?

( Can I just download a photo into Wings 3d and skip all the construction and paint?)

If it was that easy we all would be making models! The answer is no.

Read from the beginning of this thread and follow it closely.

flmman said:
Can I just download a photo into Wings 3d and skip all the construction and paint?
man wouldn't that be nice!!
I was going to say something else ............but i see tnorton stole the words right out of my mouth....
or rather beat me to them. :D

Building a model can be done with free software. And yes, it's extremely labor intensive. Most people give up before completing a model.

Last edited:
stickys

flmman said:
OK guys, I get it. Is all that stuff that I need free? It looks very labor intensive.

Flmman

Look at the first few threads in the G3.5 Designer's Corner section called STICKYS In there you find the information about program needed and FAQ about getting a 3d Model in to Real flight

If you take a few months learning wing 3d ( good winter project ), you'll be 1/3 the way there and then you'll just need to learn the other programs that are used to get your 3D model in to RF. GL

Dave55

Hi

I create planes, and vehicles with FSDS (Flight Sim Design Studio)

and import them to MS Flight Simulator.

Can this program be used to eventually show up in RealFlight and

what other programs are needed?

Do all of you have the 3ds $3000.00 plus program?

Thanks,

Dave

Dave

The Trick is all down to converting the .3DS file format to the FRX ( or G3X ) format. Realflight makers use 3D Max so we are stuck using the Exporting scripts they let us use. There is a Script for an older version of Blender what works. I use the oldest method and the DOS base command line exporter and an old share ware version of Deep Exploration to get models in to G3. These are the only way to get a model in to RF. I wish instead of a script for exporting there was a separate program like FSDS for RealFlight where you can import a few different formats, set your pivots and paint colors setting and select export out for G 3.5 -G 6

hope this helps
Terry

Back