G4 first impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
jeffpn said:
You know, I've been wanting to point out since these G4 threads were about a week old, there are Sooooo many G4 consultant wannabes hanging around here. The point has been made about people demanding certain changes to please them. "I'm gonna take my ball and go home!!!!" (and buy a copy anyway)

Well that's nice. Users expressing frustration or making suggestions is now labelled as a "G4 consultant wannabe". About sums up the childish attitude of some people here.

Also how many of you that go on about stealing software even read the EULA? How many of you with 2 computers own 2 copies of the sim or only install on one? (I've probably seen at least a dozen posts by people freely admitting they're installing on multiple machines) Technically if you've got 2 copies installed you're violating the EULA and are a software "thief" (see below) too. BOTH acts take away from KE money that is rightfully theirs. Or do only the rules that you choose to follow apply to you?

Software copyright violation is actually separate crime to theft, and needs to be treated differently just as murder and kidnapping are separate crimes.

Advocating commiting any crime on the KE board does highlight people's frustration but is also a bone headed thing to do.

redherring said:
Whilst I read here, I don't post often. I have been having a blast with G4 since yesterday. So, going back on topic - I am extremely pleased with G4.

Video here:G4 video

Well, if it wasn't for the flexible gear, this could be G3.5 as well.
Would you mind to post a video of a 3D field? Preferably one without water.
BTW: it's usually more or less pointless to zip a compressed video file as there is not much redundancy left in it.

@Sammy (offtopic)
I wonder why nobody bashed me (directly), since it was me who responded to Jim's "we don't discuss what will come" attitude first. It was also me who wrote down a list of things that I would have hoped for in G4. I begin to wonder if this has something to do with the fact that Opjose obviously agreed to my post while he didn't to yours.

ummm *waving*

What was the Original Topic of this thread?
ummmm

So who ever has the new G4 now can you post on
how is runs on a non duel processor? ect.. and how things
work and look? or maybe what your using for a system ect.
Thanks,
Jeff

Question for you, Sammy... Did you used to be a hall monitor when you were a kid? (Or are you still?) Please don't write my name on the board!!!

0xdeadbeef said:
@Sammy (offtopic)
I wonder why nobody bashed me (directly), since it was me who responded to Jim's "we don't discuss what will come" attitude first. It was also me who wrote down a list of things that I would have hoped for in G4. I begin to wonder if this has something to do with the fact that Opjose obviously agreed to my post while he didn't to yours.

Interestingly I'd written my response and didnt hit submit so my response had hung around for hours before I got back to that browser window and spotted it. Why people choose to act like 3 year olds, and what petty social clicks they choose to form is becoming rather uninteresting since the prevalent attitude on this board has become to shout anyone who doesn't conform down. Why contribute anything to a community that chooses to conduct itself that way?

I don't care if someone doesn't agree with me. By all means present an argument, and I'll discuss if that's the case. Refusing to present an argument and instead hurling insults because you don't like what someone said is just childish destructive nonsense.

@Ox (off topic)

The "clique" isn't done with Sammy yet...you're next in line...dig-in! :D

Charles

Last edited:
redherring said:
Whilst I read here, I don't post often. I have been having a blast with G4 since yesterday. So, going back on topic - I am extremely pleased with G4.

Video here:G4 video

I am sure not everyone will feel as positive as I do (I say this based on the posts I read on this board), and that's fine. I'm sure glad I got it.

The Interlink Elite is a big step up from the previous model. The physics/flight dynamics are definitely better. (I say this based on lots of G3.5 experience).

There are things that I'd like to see improved upon, like ground handling/interaction (which I believe is an important part of the flying experience). However, overall I am more than pleased with G4.

Great stuff KE!

Cheers, RH../

That's GREAT! THANKS! Nice flying by the way.

We need more of this and less of the Sammy Yousef-R1derbike-jeffpn & pplace show. Sorry Sammy, you lowered youself to that childish standard when you started responding to those "_________" (fill in the blank yourself).

The springing landing gear looks kewl ... not realistic, but kewl. Looks like the physics got tweaked a bit too. Now how about showing us what the water looks like? Do the planes react to waves and ripples? Or is it just like the land - glass smooth?

Hmmm...now it looks like the johndou "show". Fair enough. You're in the driver's seat, buddy! :D

Whip this thread back into shape, before the moderators have to! :D

Charles

Johndou said:
That's GREAT! THANKS! Nice flying by the way.

We need more of this and less of the Sammy Yousef-R1derbike-jeffpn & pplace show. Sorry Sammy, you lowered youself to that childish standard when you started responding to those "_________" (fill in the blank yourself).

It's unfortunate you feel that way.

I learnt a long time ago that if people treat you like a doormat and you allow it to go unchallenged, you're just as responsible for your being treated like one as they are. I don't play the victim and I don't apologise for responding.

Sammy Yousef said:
It's unfortunate you feel that way.

I learnt a long time ago that if people treat you like a doormat and you allow it to go unchallenged, you're just as responsible for your being treated like one as they are. I don't play the victim and I don't apologise for responding.

Well, we happen to disagree on that one ...

ask yourself a question Sammy, did you enjoy exchanging the insults?

Cause I got the impression that at least one person did ...

You see, I learned a long time ago that when you wrestle a pig in the mud - the only one having fun is the pig.

All I have to say is, if you don't have it don't rip it!! How can you even in any realm talk about and rip something you have no idea about?

Buy it then complain!!!!!

Foolish!

Last edited:
jeffpn said:
Any company out there care to use that slogan?!?!?

Thank you!

Once again, if you do not like it don't buy it. STOP the speculation and get on with it!

Last edited:
Johndou said:
Well, we happen to disagree on that one ...
ask yourself a question Sammy, did you enjoy exchanging the insults?

Okay first of all what's with the colours? I'm not sure what effect you were aiming for here, but it's very distracting.

You're entitled to disagree, but you're not the one being insulted. I'll handle it as I feel appropriate.

Johndou said:
You see, I learned a long time ago that when you wrestle a pig in the mud - the only one having fun is the pig.

Perhaps, but your analogy is a little flawed since if we extend it, the only way to win is to get out of the mud pit and get cleaned up...which means leaving the forum and accepting that it's full of pigs. Call me a fool but I happen to think there happen to be some nice people in this particular pit, and I'm not prepared to do that just yet.

Have you ever considered that if the forum can be compared to a pig's mud pit, criticizing people for defending themselves against insults shouldn't be your first priority and actually contributes to the hostility of the environment? In other words how about creating an environment in this forum where a user isn't stomped on so rudely for expressing opinions, instead of further antagonising them? You're like a lazy teacher that decides to punish both bully and victim for fighting instead of dealing with the bully's behaviour which is the trigger. In the end this just creates resentment all round and resolves nothing.

Sammy Yousef said:
What exactly are you trying to argue here? That we should only stick to asking dry support questions and posting screenshots?

Well that no matter your or anyone else's intent with posts about how KE "should" do things, it's pointless to this forum.

It tends to come off as sour grapes, etc. so those who are having a fairly good experience end up getting a bit annoyed with those that feel that somehow they KNOW what KE should do...

Even if you or anyone else did, it's just going to fall on deaf ears here.

Take this from someone who's been down this road before ( though I have to say that to their credit KE does pay attention to the general consensus from what I've seen... )

tnorton12000 said:
All I have to say is, if you don't have it don't rip it!! How can you even in any realm talk about and rip something you have no idea about?

Buy it then complain!!!!!

Bad argument. The release of G4 affects G3.5 users too, whether they buy or not. I haven't tried sticking a hot poker into my eye, but I'm not about to try it before considering myself able to judge that it's a stupid thing to do, and calling anyone who does so a bone head. Obviously that's an extreme and I'm not saying a G3.5 user buying G4 is doing something that extreme or stupid.

My copy of G4 is on the way. I bought it because:

1) I don't believe G3.5 will be further developed, support will fade and vanish over the next few months

2) I'd love to try float flying.

3) I occassionally like multiplayer and can see G3.5 multiplayer dying off. (Not sure how sound that last reason is. Unless you've downloaded every last aircraft in multiplayer you end up seeing a bunch of Nexstars doing crazy aerobatics most of the time...)

4) It'll be nice to be able to add the sim to a second machine. Yes I know I could have done this anyway but not without violating the EULA and thus infringing copyright.

I have to say the only things I noticed being different in the G4 video posted on this thread were the springy gear (which was nice) and the runway looked a little different (though I wouldn't swear to that). I was disappointed but not surprised to see the planes still don't torque roll nicely the way they did in earlier G3 versions. They did say the physics hadn't changed after all.

If I had only just bougth G3.5 I'd not bother. Having brough G3 not long after it was released (my version came without helis, and the update had just been made available) I don't mind so much. I got my money's worth. However I really do hope new features are added to G4.

I wonder how realistic the float flying is. I'd like to try that for real if I ever get the chance and the only guy I know who's done it isn't someone I can talk to about it right at the moment (He's getting married this weekend. Seems to be going round lately). If G4 can be used as a realistic training aid for that, I'll get my money's worth that way.

KE added a lot to G3 with the G3.5 release, and gave that to customers for free. I certainly hope G4 also gets plenty of new features before we're asked to cough up for G5.

I think axing the multitude of planes in G2 the addon packs is a mistake. They were still good models and still flew well and on top of that there's a bunch of user created material based on them. The G2 fields on the other hand were starting to look old and tired anyway, when compared to the G3 and above fields and photofields. I don't think I've used them much at all. Others may have and may disagree.

Just my thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back