Galloping Ghost EP

Just an observation Tech. (I know you`re not done yet), But are you going to be resizing "THE GALLOPING GHOST" name and the exhaust ???. They both look too small.
I'm not good at looking at an angled picture and then translating that in my mind to fix a flat fuselage. What I need to do is import a flat plan into 3ds max and then overlay it on the fuselage so I can adjust the width of the exhaust. I'll let you know how it goes when I do it.

Here`s some pics. that might help..???...And a link with more pics.>>>>https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215884
Thanks. I have a scale drawing of the side of a P-51D I was going to use. I'll import it and then resize the width of the fuselage in the plan to the width of my galloping ghost fuselage. Then I'll use that to size the exhaust to match. That way the exhaust will be right and the decal should follow. I actually used those drawings of the galloping ghost in your post when I modeled the plane but those are an artist's rendering and not perfect scale.

If you'll look at The Galloping Ghost text in the artist's rendering (your last picture) and compare it to the picture in post #219 you'll see the artist's rendering text is too long and doesn't look like the picture of the real plane. The Galloping Ghost text goes all the way to the end of the cowl paneling in the artist's rendering but on the real plane it doesn't go that far back. It also starts too close to the spinner in the artist's rendering.

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree with ya about the rendering`s in regards to the ..."THE GALLOPING GHOST" sizing/placing, I was hoping you might find something else to use as references (panel lines, if you so decide etc.), and you did ask about a font for the #`s "177" in post #217, so I figured you might be able to copy/cut/paste those. Also, in the link I posted, you have to scroll down for the extra pics. of the real GG, I`m sure you figured that out, but just a reminder.

Yeah, I agree with ya about the rendering`s in regards to the ..."THE GALLOPING GHOST" sizing/placing, I was hoping you might find something else to use as references (panel lines, if you so decide etc.), and you did ask about a font for the #`s "177" in post #217, so I figured you might be able to copy/cut/paste those. Also, in the link I posted, you have to scroll down for the extra pics. of the real GG, I`m sure you figured that out, but just a reminder.
Sure.. and thanks for the help.

I imported the scale plan and resized the exhaust to match it. Then I went back and resized the Galloping Ghost text to match the new size of the exhaust. Hopefully, this will work. I also added the 177 on the side of the plane but it's not an exact match to the real plane. I'm not sure what I'll do with the numbers yet. But like I said I plan to tweak stuff. Anyway here's the reworked exhaust and galloping ghost text.

GG 41.jpg

Okay, I went back and cut out the 177 text from the artist's rendering picture and used that instead of the built-in font that didn't look right. I also added a stroke around the Galloping Ghost text to highlight it. So let me know how this looks.

GG 42.jpg

I liked the longer Galloping Ghost text on the artist's rendering which also has the stroke around the text so I used that on my CS. Now I need to add the text on the wings and I only have the decals on the left side of the plane so I'll need to add them on the right side. But I think it looks pretty good for a Galloping Ghost Fun-Fly version. You may not have noticed but I darkened the plane's silver color a little. I don't have a spec map yet so the plane will get some gloss when I add that.

Last edited:
When I created the new "The Galloping Ghost" text I added a 2 pixel wide stroke around the text but that seemed a little dark so I just reduced the stroke to 1 pixel wide. So take a look at the pictures below and let me know which one you like the best.

The first picture is the new 1 pixel wide stroke and the second picture is the original 2 pixel wide stroke.

GG 43.jpgGG 42.jpg

Boy that's a tough one. Being that the entire plane is such a light color I think I like the contrast of the darker one. Let's see what the other guys think. :unsure:

Boy that's a tough one. Being that the entire plane is such a light color I think I like the contrast of the darker one. Let's see what the other guys think. :unsure:
I know what you mean which is why I used a 2 pixel wide stroke the first time. But here's a picture of the real plane which doesn't have any stroke so I was trying to get my plane a little more like the real one. But like you said let's see what everyone else thinks. I don't know if I used a bold font but I'll look that would make the white a little stronger too.

Galloping Ghost CS Template.jpg

I
I know what you mean which is why I used a 2 pixel wide stroke the first time. But here's a picture of the real plane which doesn't have any stroke so I was trying to get my plane a little more like the real one. But like you said let's see what everyone else thinks. I don't know if I used a bold font but I'll look that would make the white a little stronger too.

View attachment 130816
If you look at pic. #6 in post 224 you`ll see that it does have a stroke, kind of hard to decide on the width though for RF, I`m leaning towards 1 pix. Also, I thought the text good be just a little longer and taller, as well as the exhaust, using the above pic. as reference (see before and after pics. below) take a look.... :) :) Also the "177" looks great.

Attachments

• GP1.PNG
    GP1.PNG
    176.8 KB · Views: 6
  • GP2.PNG
    GP2.PNG
    348.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I

If you look at pic. #6 in post 224 you`ll see that it does have a stroke, kind of hard to decide on the width though for RF, I`m leaning towards 1 pix. Also, I thought the text good be just a little longer and taller, as well as the exhaust, using the above pic. as reference (see before and after pics. below) take a look.... :) :) Also the "177" looks great.
I don't think the text in picture #6 has a "stroke" it has a "drop shadow". I resized the exhaust "per the plan" so it should be long enough. Here's a close-up picture that shows before and after when I resized the exhaust. If I had panel lines that outlined the cowl panels I think the end of the galloping ghost text would be very close to the back of the angled panel line which is like the artist's rendering has. I liked the longer text so I tried to get mine about the same. So take a look and see if what I said makes sense. I do plan to look and see if the font I used was "bold" that would make the text a little taller.

EDIT: I forgot something. If you'll look at the real plane and the artist's rendering of it you'll see "The Galloping Ghost" text is very different. On the real plane the exhaust is the width of "The Galloping" part of the text but on the artist's rendering "The Galloping Ghost" text is much longer so "The Galloping" part of the text is longer than the exhaust. Look at the artist's rendering and you'll see what I mean. There's only the right side of the plane but just looking you can tell the text is longer than the real plane.

GG RESIZE EXHAUST.jpg

Last edited:
When you say "stroke", (referring to the text), I`m thinking that you`re referencing the black line outlining the the white text, not where the drop shadow part of it is . I meant for you too look at pic. #3, NOT #6 (my bad, sorry)...Lengthwise, yeah, it`s sorta hard to determine what`s right or not, I do agree, in the rendering, the text does look longer on the right side, but one thing is certain, the text is past the leading edge of the wing......I think that once the text is at the right size, THEN, you can size the exhaust accordingly, that`s what I was trying to get across in post #236 by making the text and exhaust longer and taller based on available pics., just imagine what the length of a Merlin V-12 engine block is, and I think you`ll get where I`m coming from.

When you say "stroke", (referring to the text), I`m thinking that you`re referencing the black line outlining the the white text, not where the drop shadow part of it is . I meant for you too look at pic. #3, NOT #6 (my bad, sorry)...Lengthwise, yeah, it`s sorta hard to determine what`s right or not, I do agree, in the rendering, the text does look longer on the right side, but one thing is certain, the text is past the leading edge of the wing......I think that once the text is at the right size, THEN, you can size the exhaust accordingly, that`s what I was trying to get across in post #236 by making the text and exhaust longer and taller based on available pics., just imagine what the length of a Merlin V-12 engine block is, and I think you`ll get where I`m coming from.
The only thing I can say is the exhaust is the correct width, according to the scale drawing I used to adjust the width. And you can see that in the over and under picture of the before and after shot of the exhaust so the exhaust doesn't need any further tweaking. And yes I can see the stroke you're talking about in picture #3. Once I get back to it I'll check to see if I used a bold font for the galloping ghost text. But whatever I end up with next will have to be good enough I need to move on and finish the color scheme. Thanks for your help you got me to cut out the 177 numbers from the artist's rendering picture and that worked out well. I was being lazy I just wanted to find a font that was good enough. But the cutout number looks good.

I went back and looked at the font I used for the galloping ghost text and it "was not" bold but when I tried bold it looked too fat like bold does sometimes so I'll just stick with what I have.

Back