Galloping Ghost EP

You are not a dummy Tech and I don't want you saying that about yourself. Throughout life we are always learning. It's when we stop learning when we have to start worrying. And your planes are not just so so. Heck I fly more of your planes than any Horizon Hobby puts out on Realflight. I don't think I fly any HH planes for that matter. So darn it, keep on making really really good 👍 planes.

You are not a dummy Tech and I don't want you saying that about yourself. Throughout life we are always learning. It's when we stop learning when we have to start worrying. And your planes are not just so so. Heck I fly more of your planes than any Horizon Hobby puts out on Realflight. I don't think I fly any HH planes for that matter. So darn it, keep on making really really good 👍 planes.
Okay, thanks I appreciate your comments. I am really hard on myself. You know one of the things in the prop tutorial video said if you added an all-white alpha layer in the prop tga file the prop would be glossy, but I did that to my prop and I didn't see any change in the gloss level of the blade. It still had dull silver tips. I just finished playing with a few custom props that are in my propellers directory and they all had the all-white alpha layer. I wish I could get the silver tips shiny I'd finish that prop.

Oh I also rounded off the front view of the tip a little more and also reworked the collision mesh for it. But that was just the CCW blade I still have to do the CW blade before I can import it again.

Experiment with gloss on propeller, I loaded my Spitfire prop into 3DSMax and opened the material editor increased the Glossiness to 100% and the Specular levels to 160% and imported int RF, surprisingly the prop is shiny, chrome looking.
Never tried shiny props before, I read many times it could not be done, so I just accepted that.!!! Oh, the twist I have on my prop is about 60 degrees at root to 5 degrees tip.
I apologize for putting a Spitfire prop on a Mustang, hope I don't get a visit from the propeller cops. :unsure:

Attachments

• Shiny prop-1.jpg
    Shiny prop-1.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Shiny prop-2.jpg
    Shiny prop-2.jpg
    365.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Shiny prop-3.jpg
    Shiny prop-3.jpg
    423.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Shiny prop-4.jpg
    Shiny prop-4.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Experiment with gloss on propeller, I loaded my Spitfire prop into 3DSMax and opened the material editor increased the Glossiness to 100% and the Specular levels to 160% and imported int RF, surprisingly the prop is shiny, chrome looking.
Never tried shiny props before, I read many times it could not be done, so I just accepted that.!!! Oh, the twist I have on my prop is about 60 degrees at root to 5 degrees tip.
I apologize for putting a Spitfire prop on a Mustang, hope I don't get a visit from the propeller cops. :unsure:
Thanks. I actually knew about that way but didn't use it because of the comment by Boof69 in the Propeller Tutorial. Do you have any stripes on the tip of that prop? I ask because Boof69 said it would make it a chrome blade but I want mine to just have shiny silver tips. Did you use the twist modifier or just do it by hand. I ask because if you used the twist modifier how did you get the different amounts of twist. I guess you can select different areas of the prop and set a different twist on each area. I ended up using a 30 degree twist and then rotated the blade 40 degrees. That gave me a twist that looked like the twist on the Top Flite prop I used as an example.

Boof69 Said: Another point that wasn't immediately clear was that not only are _n and _s maps not supported, but any amount of specular level or glossiness applied as a baked material will not be tolerated in the sim. My prop came out as a chrome blade.

https://forums.realflight.com/index.php?threads/custom-propeller-basic-tutorial.28299/post-225012

I ask because if you used the twist modifier how did you get the different amounts of twist. I guess you can select different areas of the prop and set a different twist on each area. I ended up using a 30 degree twist and then rotated the blade 40 degrees. That gave me a twist that looked like the twist on the Top Flite prop I used as an example.

Boof69 Said: Another point that wasn't immediately clear was that not only are _n and _s maps not supported, but any amount of specular level or glossiness applied as a baked material will not be tolerated in the sim. My prop came out as a chrome blade.

https://forums.realflight.com/index.php?threads/custom-propeller-basic-tutorial.28299/post-225012
I used the FFD 2x2x2 modifier, as you can see from the picture 1, in the dropdown list I selected "control points" then click on the points I wanted to alter (the four points at root) then grab the rotate tool and twist to the desired angle, as you see I exaggerated the amount of twist just for visual appearances. So, you can select root points and rotate, then select tip points to rotate.
Picture 2 is the actual amount of twist I applied to my prop.

Attachments

• Blade twist.jpg
    Blade twist.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Blade Twist-1.jpg
    Blade Twist-1.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 7
I used the FFD 2x2x2 modifier, as you can see from the picture 1, in the dropdown list I selected "control points" then click on the points I wanted to alter (the four points at root) then grab the rotate tool and twist to the desired angle, as you see I exaggerated the amount of twist just for visual appearances. So, you can select root points and rotate, then select tip points to rotate.
Oh.. Okay. I see you used the FD 2x2x2 the same way I used the twist modifier (on the entire blade). When you mentioned the different twist angles at the different locations I guess you were guessing at the angles at each place. I thought you were setting them some way, but it was just how the angles looked after you rotated the blade. Thanks!

OPPS.. I just read your post again and caught something I missed the first time. You used the "root" control points and the "tip" control points to set the two different angles you mentioned (60 degrees root and 5 degrees tip). I missed that the first time I read it. Very cool thanks for the info.

Back to the prop issue, I returned to 3DSMax and this time I only selected the some of the tip poly's to apply the glossiness and specular levels too, I left the other poly's on the prop base levels and did another import into RF. Result tip is shiny, blade is dull.

Attachments

• Shiny prop-6.jpg
    Shiny prop-6.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 7
OPPS.. I just read your post again and caught something I missed the first time. You used the "root" control points and the "tip" control points to set the two different angles you mentioned (60 degrees root and 5 degrees tip). I missed that the first time I read it. Very cool thanks for the info.
Yes, it is a very handy modifier, also notice there are FFD 2x2x2, 3x3x3, and 4x4x4 to play with, they give you more selection points.

Back to the prop issue, I returned to 3DSMax and this time I only selected the some of the tip poly's to apply the glossiness and specular levels too, I left the other poly's on the prop base levels and did another import into RF. Result tip is shiny, blade is dull.
Yes, I guess that's a workaround. I always hesitate to use something like that because it's unsupported and you don't know what will happen when they update the code, will the workaround cause a crash, or maybe bad-looking polys. You never know what will happen in the future. But thanks for testing that out for me. I'm curious would you use it on your Spitfire?

Yes, it is a very handy modifier, also notice there are FFD 2x2x2, 3x3x3, and 4x4x4 to play with, they give you more selection points.
Yes, I knew about those modifiers and have used them before. But didn't think about using one on the prop blade the way you did. You can also use the FFD(box) modifier and adjust how many control points too.

It looks okay on my PC, so I thought I would just do an AV export out of RF and post so you could see, but the exporter complained about the side texture, so again I will have a look at the problem and let you know.

It looks okay on my PC, so I thought I would just do an AV export out of RF and post so you could see, but the exporter complained about the side texture, so again I will have a look at the problem and let you know.
That's okay I can do it here if I want to look at it. To be honest I don't really care for the fact the gloss "is full-on" I wanted the gloss on the prop to match the gloss on the plane. So in the end I probably wouldn't use it because of that. To me, it would look like a large mismatch. Am I being silly?

Back