Lockheed Starliner Build thread

I have been learning blender since it looks like autodesk is tightning the requirements for 3ds max. and is requiring transcripts or school ids. I am still using wings 3d then transfering it to (now) blender instead of 3ds max.

any way I have the tail sitter (XFX-2 Waterfall) in RF but from blender.

also does anyone know how to add nup command to blender models? cause I did some searching and found nothing

I found a mention of someone setting NUP values using blender using a .sup file back when blender couldn't directly be used for the kex exporter. They had some scripts they used back then I think to avoid using 3ds max.
Not sure what a .sup file is but this is the thread that mentions it https://forums.realflight.com/index.php?threads/retractable-gear-problem-blender.28729/

This is the thread with everything about the script but it is dependent on a single old version of Blender. However there is mention of entering NUP values withing a properties panel in Blender.

Last edited:
mixed news
  1. The starliner is 98% mappedjust need to lay the parts out
  2. I figured were the NUP comands go in blender
  3. however multi-line nup commands are fighting me a little (aka gear doors)

I am thinking about the next plane. (after the xfx-2... currently desiding on how to paint it)
  • F(B)-111 have not fully desided on a load out but most likely a mini B-52 with all wing racks at full load although a EF-111 raven might be fun
  • XB-35/XB-49
  • Handley Page H.P.80 Victor K2
  • P-61 although I have a slight prefrance to the photo recon versoin the F-15 reporter
  • He-177
  • a nice L-4 grasshopper or L-1 Vigilant

there are alot of other planes on the list: 4 seaplanes and a few other bombers. I would like to do an AEW&C aircraft at some point. and an attack chopper

I do have a soft spot for a Cessna 185 Skywagon and a RLU-1 Breezy because my dad own them and I have a lot of hours in them

I agree with you about the Cessna 185 and the Breezy. The Breezy would be a very interesting model, in my view. Really enjoy your models.

Good to hear from you Legoman, ...I can`t wait for the Starliner, nice to hear it`s almost done. A P-61 would be nice, as well as the H.P.victor.

Great to see you back Legoman.
Good to hear the Starliner is nearing completion, you have done an incredible job on that model.
What is with the move to Blender, could you not get 3DSMax reauthorized. ?

It's good to see you again and that's great news about the Starliner being close to release. I took a look at the 3ds Max Student version after reading your comments and yeah it wouldn't let me get a new version without documentation from the school so I guess that stops us from using it to model aircraft. I wonder how much it would cost to find an older version to use, like 2015 before they started the subscription model they seem to be using now. Surely people can sell their older version if they want to.

I guess I'd go with the Handley Page H.P.80 Victor K2.

Last edited:
Great to see you back Legoman.
Good to hear the Starliner is nearing completion, you have done an incredible job on that model.
What is with the move to Blender, could you not get 3DSMax reauthorized. ?

I have nine month to a year on my max licence. I found it out when I was helping new people get in to modeling and found out that they had made it harder

It's good to see you again and that's great news about the Starliner being close to release. I took a look at the 3ds Max Student version after reading your comments and yeah it wouldn't let me get a new version without documentation from the school so I guess that stops us from using it to model aircraft. I wonder how much it would cost to find an older version to use, like 2015 before they started the subscription model they seem to be using now. Surely people can sell their older version if they want to.

I guess I'd go with the Handley Page H.P.80 Victor K2.

I am pretty sure 3dsmax is a subscrition and they want an arm and a leg a month. the person who had taught me some time after they discontiuned max 2012 but before we had the fbx import. I had figured out get a newer licence and an old product key and a max 2012 install to install 2012. the same person had talk via email to autodesk about aquiring a 2012 licence for non comercial use after it was discontiouned. and the basicly told him to pound sand and pay for a subscription.

You may be able to find an old max copy out there but i think they have use the subscription model since before 2012 not sure tho.

I am close to trying to push the functionality of wings to the minimum for what I need to make plane for realflight which is pivots, hierarchy, nups and export fbxs add to what is all ready there. I have wanted to do it since like 2015. but I had become proficent enough in max that it was easier to not do that also at that time I stiill needed to reverse engineer the kex files which I gave up on I have found some things like number of childern, number of parents (lol it is always one), nup commands and object name which were stored as strings

A reply to the technoid and uncle twist about the victor and the the next plane in general. I have alot of hours in developing the F-111 with the ground contact sensor and getting the wing drag to change when you sweep the wings back without a lot of fudge factors and super crazy wings that may confuse novice editor. if you look at the f-111 right now in the editor there is three wings simulating the lift of the wing at differet points that "turn on and off" depending on the sweep and I may add a forth for when the slats are deployed and a fuse in the shape of the main wing that does changes the drag at different angles and moves the cg. the ground sensor to squat the shocks is pretty good but still need some tuning and some parts added maybe. but ingeneral it is ready to roll(fly). I am thinking about some other stuff to add like the crew escape/survival capsule.

the H.P. 80 Victor K2 i would like through some drouge hoses and baskets so your buddy could try and fly to look like he is refueling.

Both of them are flying in rf right now alsong with a bunch of other planes that I have pulled out of full scale sims and some that I want to fly but never put on a poll because they would not enough votes to win. or I have put on poll and did not win or were close seconds.

The F-111 sounds AMAZING, really looking forward to the release of that model.
Thanks for the heads up information on the Max license.

I am pretty sure 3dsmax is a subscrition and they want an arm and a leg a month. the person who had taught me some time after they discontiuned max 2012 but before we had the fbx import. I had figured out get a newer licence and an old product key and a max 2012 install to install 2012. the same person had talk via email to autodesk about aquiring a 2012 licence for non comercial use after it was discontiouned. and the basicly told him to pound sand and pay for a subscription.

You may be able to find an old max copy out there but i think they have use the subscription model since before 2012 not sure tho.

I am close to trying to push the functionality of wings to the minimum for what I need to make plane for realflight which is pivots, hierarchy, nups and export fbxs add to what is all ready there. I have wanted to do it since like 2015. but I had become proficent enough in max that it was easier to not do that also at that time I stiill needed to reverse engineer the kex files which I gave up on I have found some things like number of childern, number of parents (lol it is always one), nup commands and object name which were stored as strings
From what I've seen Autodesk went subscription based in 2016 so when the time comes I'll see what I can find out or maybe just stop modeling. I just do the simple models anyway so it won't be a big loss for the forum when I stop. But I'd pay a reasonable amount to buy an older version but they'd probably want an arm and a leg for it. Anyway it was fun while it lasted.

A reply to the technoid and uncle twist about the victor and the the next plane in general. I have alot of hours in developing the F-111 with the ground contact sensor and getting the wing drag to change when you sweep the wings back without a lot of fudge factors and super crazy wings that may confuse novice editor. if you look at the f-111 right now in the editor there is three wings simulating the lift of the wing at differet points that "turn on and off" depending on the sweep and I may add a forth for when the slats are deployed and a fuse in the shape of the main wing that does changes the drag at different angles and moves the cg. the ground sensor to squat the shocks is pretty good but still need some tuning and some parts added maybe. but ingeneral it is ready to roll(fly). I am thinking about some other stuff to add like the crew escape/survival capsule.

the H.P. 80 Victor K2 i would like through some drouge hoses and baskets so your buddy could try and fly to look like he is refueling.

Both of them are flying in rf right now alsong with a bunch of other planes that I have pulled out of full scale sims and some that I want to fly but never put on a poll because they would not enough votes to win. or I have put on poll and did not win or were close seconds.
Sure the F-111 sounds great so go with it. The Victor is just differently looking so I like it for that.

From what I've seen Autodesk went subscription based in 2016 so when the time comes I'll see what I can find out or maybe just stop modeling. I just do the simple models anyway so it won't be a big loss for the forum when I stop. But I'd pay a reasonable amount to buy an older version but they'd probably want an arm and a leg for it. Anyway it was fun while it lasted.

blender fbx export is working it is not cooperation for two nup commands per object one works fine but not two I can probobly figure it out tho.

blender fbx export is working it is not cooperation for two nup commands per object one works fine but not two I can probobly figure it out tho.
Yeah I might go that way if I see it works without jumping through lots of hurdles.

I have a "3DS discreet" Max from 2003-2004. It has all the manuals with it, a couple of disc`s, and is in the original box it came in. if any one is interested.

Yeah I might go that way if I see it works without jumping through lots of hurdles.

the only hickup i have noticed with blender is is the issues of two nup commands. transitioning from max should be easier than wings3d mostly pecause of ui differences/similarities

Back