Maxum STOL

Thanks for the new angle. There's definitely more space there that I thought there was from the angle of the other pics. And they're positioned higher than I thought they were. Does the 3D modelling give you any indication of how the airflow/lift changes with/without the slats?

Thanks for the new angle. There's definitely more space there that I thought there was from the angle of the other pics. And they're positioned higher than I thought they were. Does the 3D modelling give you any indication of how the airflow/lift changes with/without the slats?
I'm not an expert on 3D modeling. And I don't know of anyway to get airflow/lift changes from the 3D editor. But I tend to doubt there is a way to do it.

Something I forgot to mention. When I first started I looked at the e-Flite Turbo Timber with Slats that is stock in RealFlight to see if they created any physics for the Slats, but there was nothing in the physics for the Slats, so they're just for looks too. Unless they modified the physics of other parts to simulate the Slats like @rcdoski did for my plane.

I went back and adjusted the position of the Slat Stripes to align them from the front, so here's the same three picture views again. But in this set only the front view is aligned. Any comments on this? It seems you can only get them to align from a single view.

Maxum STOL 40.jpgMaxum STOL 41.jpgMaxum STOL 42.jpg

I think I kinda answered you in an email on this. I think it's acceptable. Just don't bang your head on the wall too much over this. 😉 😊
Okay that's cool and I'll try what you mentioned in your email and see what it looks like. And from much of a distance you won't really see this anyway. But looking at the plane in the editor you would. People are sensitive to stripes not aligning.

I think I kinda answered you in an email on this. I think it's acceptable. Just don't bang your head on the wall too much over this. 😉 😊
Okay that's cool and I'll try what you mentioned in your email and see what it looks like. And from much of a distance you won't really see this anyway. But looking at the plane in the editor you would. People are sensitive to stripes not aligning.
OK, so what`s the big secret here you guys, (rcoski & Tech)., Why can`t it be shared here. You`re only talking about fixing a CS, I`m just curious....... Tech, can you post a pic. of the .tga, I have a thought about what could/might be happening.

OK, so what`s the big secret here you guys, (rcoski & Tech)., Why can`t it be shared here. You`re only talking about fixing a CS, I`m just curious....... Tech, can you post a pic. of the .tga, I have a thought about what could/might be happening.
No secret I just haven't done it yet. He mentioned splitting the difference between the two views. Meaning halving the distance I move the stripes to align each of the views. SO. To get the front view to align from the top view I moved the stripes towards the tip of the wing 30 pixels. So he mentioned splitting the difference so both views are "off" but by half the amount. And realizing how you usually look at the plane from some distance instead of being close up inspecting it, the stripes would probably look pretty good. But of course, if you look close then both views will be off instead of one. But since it's a lesser amount it should look pretty decent. But I was tried and wasn't planning to try it until tomorrow morning. But I'll post pictures when I do.

I don't know what you mean about the tga? Do you mean the CS tga?

To me what's happening is the slats are forward so that messes up viewing them with an angled stripe. If you look at the front view I posted last and moved the slats back so they align with the front of the wing then the stripes would align in all three views. Front, top, and bottom.

Last edited:
But of course, if you look close then both views will be off instead of one. But since it's a lesser amount it should look pretty decent.
That reminds me of "equal temperment" when tuning a musical instrument. A piano that's perfectly in tune in the key of C is out of tune in every other key. Some keys sound VERY bad. A piano is tuned so it's slightly out of tune in every key. They all sound pretty good, but none of them are perfect. It's also true of my guitar. I tune it slightly differently when I play in C, D, G, etc. But I'm bothered by instruments that are out of tune much more than most people. I don't like equal temperment very much, but it's the best compromise available - like your stripes.

Here's a picture of the TGA file. The Slats are just above the wing and the only one I've painted stripes on is the left slat. The "top" slat is the back side, the "bottom" slat nearest the wing is the front side of the slat. The top slat (back side) only needs to be painted because you can see it when looking at the wing from the bottom. And it's moved over a little and shaped a tiny bit different just to fill in the back with green. And you can see the tip of the stripe isn't in the center of the slat, because there's more slat on top than bottom.

Maxum STOL 43.jpg

Last edited:
That reminds me of "equal temperment" when tuning a musical instrument. A piano that's perfectly in tune in the key of C is out of tune in every other key. Some keys sound VERY bad. A piano is tuned so it's slightly out of tune in every key. They all sound pretty good, but none of them are perfect. It's also true of my guitar. I tune it slightly differently when I play in C, D, G, etc. But I'm bothered by instruments that are out of tune much more than most people. I don't like equal temperment very much, but it's the best compromise available - like your stripes.
I get that. I would say that the majority of the population doesn`t have an ear, or can`t tell if an Inst, is "out of tune" by the standard you`re talking about, sometimes it has to be slightly out of tune to get the desired effect/sound, BUT, the music still sounds fantastic, so I get your analogy. If Elton John`s piano was ever out of tune, even slightly, or on purpose, you`d have a hard time convincing me, simply one of greatest pianist ever. Not saying he was ever the best, just one of that I`m really familiar with. I`ll save the guitarists, just to many too mention.

I am just throwing my two cents in, so dont take it too seriously. trying to paint a line across a gap will always have an angle that it does not look quite right. If it were my scheme I would paint the slats/slots and accent color. Also personal preferance I feel like the slot/slat is too narrow.

I atached some images to add some visual representatio.n the first and second image shows the line acros the "gap" note the wing tip in the first. the third and fourth shows the accent color and the size of the gap the second image looks moveable. the fourth shows the whole airfoil in relation to the gap.

1691985295976.png
1691987228390.png

1691985466931.png
1691985967871.png

I am just throwing my two cents in, so dont take it too seriously. trying to paint a line across a gap will always have an angle that it does not look quite right. If it were my scheme I would paint the slats/slots and accent color. Also personal preferance I feel like the slot/slat is too narrow.

I atached some images to add some visual representatio.n the first and second image shows the line acros the "gap" note the wing tip in the first. the third and fourth shows the accent color and the size of the gap the second image looks moveable. the fourth shows the whole airfoil in relation to the gap.

View attachment 135650
View attachment 135654

View attachment 135651
View attachment 135652
Did you see the picture of how I have the slats painted? They are painted a medium gray so they definitely stand out. I'm trying to make the stripes look good because of a request from someone that likes the stripes on the slats. I did move the slats out more, but I didn't think they looked that good on my plane, a personal preference. My plane looks more normal than the planes in your pictures, they look very STOL where mine looks more like a standard high wing plane. But if my plane were rougher looking I'm sure I'd like the slats further out and more pronounced. Thanks for your input.

Looking at your first picture again those slats look kind of like mine. They don't seem to be that large and not very far out from the wing.

Last edited:
Now that I've finished the slat stripes for the yellow-purple color scheme for @rcdoski I need to finish the project. I still need to do the wrap around stripes and create the spec map. That's not a ton of work but it's always about this time in a project that I want to stop.

Back