Techair Commander EP

Maybe my brain is wired backwards but it seems to me that regular ailerons with flaps enabled should be the default with the switch completely away from you and full span ailerons without flaps should be set as center/towards you position. I was going to try and just reverse this in the editor but I couldn't figure it out. This is a very minor thing though and I love what you have done with this Commander and it does fly great, looking forward to the final version with paint.

Came searching for a Commander today and just found this thread.
Absolutely excellent build and flys great! Looking forward to the textured version too!
Thanks, I'm glad you like the build. I still have to tweak a few things and finish the collision mesh, then I need to do the mapping which creates the template you use to paint the model. So I have a fair amount of work to do. But I'm getting there.

Maybe my brain is wired backwards but it seems to me that regular ailerons with flaps enabled should be the default with the switch completely away from you and full span ailerons without flaps should be set as center/towards you position. I was going to try and just reverse this in the editor but I couldn't figure it out. This is a very minor thing though and I love what you have done with this Commander and it does fly great, looking forward to the final version with paint.
I probably should call the new feature "Full Width Ailerons" and I may call it that in the release notes. To me UP is ON and DOWN is OFF. So moving the switch forward is UP and moving the switch Backward is DOWN. So... UP turns the Full Width Ailerons ON and DOWN turns the Full Width Ailerons OFF.

Help me with this. Look at the picture at this link and tell me IF the wing leading edge rounds "in" a little from where you see the tire sticking out to the fuselage. At least it looks that way to me and I modeled it that way. But let me know if it rounds in just a little to you so I can fix it if I'm wrong. When I watch videos of the plane I don't notice it but in this closeup picture on Horizon Hobby I do. After you click the link the picture will expand if you click on the "+" cursor.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/dw/ima...14875_A26_T9CX4N1N.jpg?sw=1600&sh=1600&sm=fit

In this picture It looks like the leading edge does round in a tiny bit. But it's so slight that could be the photo lens distortion too.

It looks straight to me. The leading edge of the wing is not horizontal in the image. If you rotate the image very slightly then the leading edge looks pretty much straight on both sides.

Tech, I looked at the image you are referring to on my phone. I layed my phone flat and looked at it from the side or edge of the phone and it looks like you are correct, it does appear to round just slightly.

This may clear things up. Either way, it's such a slight curve that whether or not it's modeled would not be noticeable. I say you're good either way.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 02-15-23 at 08.33 PM.PNG
    Screen Shot 02-15-23 at 08.33 PM.PNG
    707.8 KB · Views: 12
I downloaded the manual pdf from horizon hobby and it has a black top-down picture in it. I expanded the picture and grabbed a screenshot and put it in Photoshop. That picture doesn't look like it has any rounding in so I think I'll just straighten it out.

Thanks to everyone for looking at it and your inputs.

I downloaded the manual pdf from horizon hobby and it has a black top-down picture in it. I expanded the picture and grabbed a screenshot and put it in Photoshop. That picture doesn't look like it has any rounding in so I think I'll just straighten it out.

Thanks to everyone for looking at it and your inputs.
It`s not like anyone will notice, BUT, it has always looked like there`s a slight curve, even without my glasses... model it any way you want...;)

It`s not like anyone will notice, BUT, it has always looked like there`s a slight curve, even without my glasses... model it any way you want...;)
So are you saying the picture always looked like it has a slight curve? Or my plane always looked that way?

So are you saying the picture always looked like it has a slight curve? Or my plane always looked that way?
I`m saying that the leading edge has always looked like it has had a curve to it, (based on pics. I`ve seen), Look at the pic. that Andy posted, THAT`S the real wing of the plane, clearly, you can see the curve, based on the straight line he added, be it ever so slight, it`s still visible. Looking at your plane in the sim., I don`t even look for that, it`s so slight, who cares`...Looking at the pic. you posted, yeah, it`s straight (see pic.), but your pic. isn`t the real plane, it`s just a rough silhouette, so I question the accuracy. Again, either way you model it, nobody`s really going to notice.

Attachments

• SILO 1.PNG
    SILO 1.PNG
    289.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I`m saying that the leading edge has always looked like it has had a curve to it, (based on pics. I`ve seen), Look at the pic. that Andy posted, THAT`S the real wing of the plane, clearly, you can see the curve, based on the straight line he added, be it ever so slight, it`s still visible. Looking at your plane in the sim., I don`t even look for that, it`s so slight, who cares`...Looking at the pic. you posted, yeah, it`s straight (see pic.), but your pic. isn`t the real plane, it`s just a rough silhouette, so I question the accuracy. Again, either way you model it, nobody`s really going to notice.
Yep you got a good point there, that black top down picture isn't the real plane.

When I started the project I took those large pictures on the horizon hobby site and created a 3-view from them by cutting out the outline of the plane from three different pictures and then sizing all three of those pictures the same. Then I imported them in the 3d editor and modeled the plane over them, so the rounded area is in my model. Okay maybe I should just leave it there it seems more people think the rounded area is there and of course I did too when I modeled the plane. But later watching videos of it I didn't seem to notice the rounded area in the videos when they got close-up on the wings.

The canopy had some flat areas that needed to be fixed so I did that this morning. It definitely looks better to me. I still need to add a shell to the wheel pants so you can't see through them when you look up at the tire opening from the bottom. So that's what I'm doing now fixing little things here and there before I map it.

Thanks for that technoid, I've downloaded it and it looks really good. One thing though how do I turn the enable off completely? I'm using a Spektrum DX6 so only 6 channels.

Thanks for that technoid, I've downloaded it and it looks really good. One thing though how do I turn the enable off completely? I'm using a Spektrum DX6 so only 6 channels.
Are you saying the Aileron and Flaps are always working together? I use the InterLink-X which is basically an InterLink Elite with two more channels so I don't know how to setup your Spektrum DX6 (which I guess is hooked up on a wireless adapter?)

Do you know how to use the RealFlight Aircraft Editor? You can disable the Aileron/Flap Enable in the Editor. You might try the keyboard shortcuts and see if that works. The aileron/flap enable uses Channel 8. I've never used them myself.

Virtual Channels
Channel 5 Y
Channel 6 U
Channel 7 I
Channel 8 O
Channel 9 J

Also DO YOU HAVE the mpd Commander? If so I'd like to ask you some questions about it.

Last edited:
Great, I now have separate flaps and ailerons.

I have the original Commander (red livery) which I haven't flown for a couple of years, nor anything else for that matter due to pandemics and other things. Hence my desire to see it in Realflight as I am trying to get back up to speed on the simulator before heading back to the field.

I'll try and answer any questions you may have but I'm by no means an expert.

Back