Top Flight Taurus

jeffpn said:
Terry, if it's modeled and mapped, I can take it the rest of the way. Geesh!!
Email PMed.

THANKS! ...I appreciate it Jeff .... really want to learn this myself... like to be able to post planes to the swaps myself at some point

Wreck

Sorry to hear about that JB... Hope your ok looking at the shape of the
windshield and forward roof section
Let me guess ....... other was "texting" ?

Hab, it's not difficult to build your own models. Read through some of the build threads posted gere. https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?t=20971

There are many websites with tutorials on how to use Wings, a free 3D modeling program. They seem to go in and out of existance. The links I used to provide don't work today. You'll have to find some for yourself. It can be done, I'm proof.

Taurus

How do I load up a another aircraft varient of the Taurus. Loaded up
herc's av of the Taurus and played around with the physics a little
more. Got it flying pretty close to what I think would be as close to a true
model model of it's size and what the Taurus would behave like.
Only glitch I ran into that needs a little tweaking would be the weight.

Shows it's got a weight of 4 3/4 lbs. That size plane, and being covered
with a silk and dope finish back then, would of been closer to the 6 -6 1/2
lb mark. Increasing the wing loading.

Made another motor varient ( just used an open file and played with
the torque curve), and other parameters.

Changed the throws on it a little bit ( deffinately not a 3d machine) and servo
ratings and speeds. Changed the stall rating also.

Put in 4deg for the diheadral. ( Kept the airfoil of what you had Herc)
Close as I could get it to real. Real had a modified 2419. You've got a 2418

If I could load a named varient of what I've done, I'd load it. No luck with that
end either. Only thing that I see, that I can't change , would be the static
weight and one other thing. Spinner size. Spinner in scale looks to be a 3- 3-1/2"

2- 2 1/2 " Would be a better fit. Also the weight which I couldn't change.
And of course, it needs a paint job an motor scaling. Could anyone use
the scheme of heeley's? Wings design is "curved" into the fuse..... How the real one (Taurus of Kazmirski) scheme is (was)

Any help with how to load what I've done would be helpful. (I tried using the editor and saving as an "RFX", but didn't seem to work.
When uploaded to a message,
I couldn't open it. I have 5.5. Someone could try it out and give me some feedback.

Real one was deffinately not a 3d machine. Some may think that its a dog if their use too hovering around and doing rolling circles with ease.
It will Knife, if you work it.
Not just rolling 90 and holding rudder.
Was the "pattern" plane of its day during the time of "escapements." Not
the 2.4 tech we all enjoy today. :)

Hab

You cannot change the size of the spinner, or the size of any other component. You can change the weights of the components. Welcome to editing!

you might want to wait for the EA

HAB, when I was making the Deuces Wild, I put up a EA on the build thread, so everyone could enjoy it while I finished up the Color Scheme. Someone built a physics he liked and got upset when he could not place the pyhsics on the final version. It is just better to wait for the EA.

Last edited:
Hab

I have not flown my real taurus as of yet. Its tail need re-covering. The planes weighs in at 4.007 lbs with out a receiver, batteries, tank, and servos. It is Silk, Dope, and paint.

It engine is to scale with the real engine. post 101 and post 102. It is moved back in the fuselage a bit because I needed the prop spawn in a in just the right spot because of the two modeled motors. see post 96 and 103. We can get rid of the spinner all together as long as people don’t complain about the nitro and electric prop will use the same prop nuts. 4 degrees of dihedral sounds right.

After Jeffpn gets a nice looking and running G5.5 EA you can try out your hand making a AV. The swap pages is a database. A Taurus_EA needs to be uploaded to the swap page before a Variant (AV) or a Color scheme (CS) can be linked to it. Also if you load a G3 through G4.5 model in to your G5.5 and make a AV or CS for it. That AV and SC will not load to the swaps because the BASE model is only in the G3 swap page (data base) not the G5.5.

Another Tip. If you modified any of the engine curves and them load that AV to the swaps it will over right other people setting and default setting if someone loads it to there system. It is better if you make a copy of the engine you want to mod first, pick that newly named engine, them mod it to your liking. The new name can be simple, just add Tmod ( for taurus mod ) at the end of its name. That way the newly named engine will be saves in the AV.

Jeff can even give you the first reworked G5.5 EA and let you try your physics work on that one. If Jeff and I feel it flys well we can release it to the swaps with your physics as the default setup. This model has been delayed so long a few more months will not hurt. I'll just have to copy your physics over for a G3.5 release

Attachments

• turars4.jpg
    turars4.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Taurus

Junkboy999 said:
Hab

I have not flown my real taurus as of yet. Its tail need re-covering. The planes weighs in at 4.007 lbs with out a receiver, batteries, tank, and servos. It is Silk, Dope, and paint.

It engine is to scale with the real engine. post 101 and post 102. It is moved back in the fuselage a bit because I needed the prop spawn in a in just the right spot because of the two modeled motors. see post 96 and 103. We can get rid of the spinner all together as long as people don’t complain about the nitro and electric prop will use the same prop nuts. 4 degrees of dihedral sounds right.

After Jeffpn gets a nice looking and running G5.5 EA you can try out your hand making a AV. The swap pages is a database. A Taurus_EA needs to be uploaded to the swap page before a Variant (AV) or a Color scheme (CS) can be linked to it. Also if you load a G3 through G4.5 model in to your G5.5 and make a AV or CS for it. That AV and SC will not load to the swaps because the BASE model is only in the G3 swap page (data base) not the G5.5.

Another Tip. If you modified any of the engine curves and them load that AV to the swaps it will over right other people setting and default setting if someone loads it to there system. It is better if you make a copy of the engine you want to mod first, pick that newly named engine, them mod it to your liking. The new name can be simple, just add Tmod ( for taurus mod ) at the end of its name. That way the newly named engine will be saves in the AV.

Jeff can even give you the first reworked G5.5 EA and let you try your physics work on that one. If Jeff and I feel it flys well we can release it to the swaps with your physics as the default setup. This model has been delayed so long a few more months will not hurt. I'll just have to copy your physics over for a G3.5 release

Terry, Did you build that Taurus? Thinking this one mite be the next one on
my building board. Couple co.'s are reproducing and cutting "short" and complete kits again. Reasonably priced. Watched prices for original Taury kit on
EBAY go for as high as $400. Comparing an original kit, to a newer cut kit, lol..no comparison in laser cut to the original "printed" kit. Would like to do Koverite with
paint if I ever get the chance. Just curious about the weight between an iron -on
and a painted fabric covering.

Coming in at only 4lbs? Sounds like its in the same range as some of the shoulder winger's I've done. Went threw a couple F-56's, and a Kavalier that I'm flying now.
These are in the 3.5-4lb mark. Ready to fly w/ gear - motor installed and a dry tank.
Covered w/ simple monokote. Not a silk and dope job.

These had only a 56" span for the Falcon's. A 57" for the Kavalier.
Both are a .30- .40 size. Kavalier sports a .46AX throwing 10x6. Would be a chore to fly these with anything smaller.

Guess the Taury is in the same range, but thinking about it now, guess they didn't fly or build anything bigger than that size back '60's - early '70's.
Just thinking that a 70" span bird would come in at little more than 4lbs.
Especially being covered with a silk and dope job, and being built with
Ambroid and hot melt's.

Before my time of flying R/C...but was around. Older brother built / flew
and still remember that distinctive smell of Ambroid glue and dope.

Thanks for the info Terry.
I have patience. Will wait. I probably wouldn't loose the spinner though. Just make it a tad smaller in size. Shape is perfect. Just dia. and lenght too match a smaller size. Would have to be done with a stud - nut / washer combo. Or
model up a prop hub for it.

When first loaded, I did a little work with the physics (and still messing with it when I have the time) to more closely resemble of what I thougth it would be
like for a real Taury.
Some now probably wouldn't like it. It's not a high wing trainer, nor a 3d foamy. But yes, I will wait till the EA is released, ( got patience) then simply do an AV for it for what I've got this one dialed in at.

Terry...what 3d program do you run for creating? Been going on line looking
for the 3d Max downloads. Found plenty for the 2012 version, but it's only
a 30 day trial. Have to enter your info in order to down load (including email) which wouldn't be a problem. I have an un-built kit here I'd like to model for RF.
Low winger. Plane kitted by Mid West back in the mid- late '70's called the Pattern Master. In the same category as the Taury. Not that big of a span or size of the Taurus though.

Just thinking it would probably take a few weeks to figure a program out
.... learn how to navigate threw it and use it, and by that time I'd be close to the end of the script.
Wouldn't leave much time for searching planes to build with their correct specs.

Whats the trick? (No I don't have the $3,500 to spend for a program)

Hab

Last edited:
Hab said:
Whats the trick? (No I don't have the $3,500 to spend for a program)
1) Get a job as a 3D designer at a place where 3D design software is provided.
2) Find a cheaper program. Blender is a free program that allows you to do everything required to import into RF.

Hab, if you want to learn Blender, I will have a setup tut with exporter setup hopefully by the end of the day in my Pawnee thread.

Blender

abaser said:
Hab, if you want to learn Blender, I will have a setup tut with exporter setup hopefully by the end of the day in my Pawnee thread.

Thanks. Any helpful advice or instruction would be appreciated. Will look
up that thread for the Pawnee.
What Pawnee are you doing? Hanger 9? Will be another good one
I'm sure on the swaps when done. ;)

Taurus

Another request to JB or Jeff...not sure if either of you guys are doing
the mapping and colors for the Taurus.... but Jeff you made up a good looking
rim / tire combo that would be a nice touch on the Taurus. Even nicer if the rim could be colored to dictate an early dubro..."chrome" rim. Could this be done?

https://forums.realflight.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=34202

Been working with physics for the Taurus a little more. Have a couple varients. One which would be more or less like being powered with a .35 Another
powered with simularity of a .40 -.45. Worked on the throws a little bit.
Expo, hi and low rates have also been worked on.
JB..think I mentioned in an earlier post , had the dihedral at 4 deg.
Saw a video of a Taurus with a lot more than 4 deg in it. No maneuvers
thow. Just level flight. Believe this might have been an option during
building. Tried this with 4 deg as I mentioned. Nice flyer..but, ahh not a performer. Dropped it down to 2. Straight level inverted is alot better..and will knife edge but, still in needs stick control which is the way it should be.

With second power choice {.40-.45} , will out side loop with out "too" much trouble..from the bottom.
Still have to fly it though. Not a 3d machine or a 4s power machine that relies on
power to fly it threw maneuvers.
Got it flying like a decent sport flier and still going back and forth "tweaking" after flights to find more.

If I knew how to toss this to either of you guys, I'd send it so you could try it
and let me know what ya thought.
I enjoy flying this one. Definitely gunnah have to build this one.

Boof..also worked on your Kaos a little bit. Would you mind if I posted up an AV
for this one also?

I can put a more chrome looking wheel on it. That's not a problem. The physics will have to wait. What I'll post will be a completely different model, so the physics will have to be done from scratch. I will get to the Taurus when I'm done with my current build. Should be just a couple of weeks or so. I love being an amateur, No deadlines!

Jeff, the way they did those wings back then, and some still do today. They were built flat, up side down on a table. Load a temp object, scale up on x, then place it flush with the top of all the length of the wing, as a sthight edge. Keep it flush in the center of the wing, then move the tips up or down untill stright from tip to tip on top of wing. Thebottom will be right.

jeffpn said:
I can put a more chrome looking wheel on it. That's not a problem. The physics will have to wait. What I'll post will be a completely different model, so the physics will have to be done from scratch. I will get to the Taurus when I'm done with my current build. Should be just a couple of weeks or so. I love being an amateur, No deadlines!

Hi Jeff.... hows the Taurus coming? Any progress?

Junkboy999 said:
Had

I sent the model to Jeffpn so he can finish and post it when it is done if he wants to or I’ll post it. The EA posted in this thread has not been mapped to it can not be painted. There plenty of other models for you to cut your teeth on doing CS work. We all started out small.

Hi JB....Jeff is waiting for a reply from you. Would like to see this one on the swaps.

If Jeff has lost the interest of finishing this, could you please finish the mapping
and whatever else has to be done and load this one?

Thanks,
Hab

Back