Upgrade costs?

wow!

I have read all the posts and I think Realflight better take a strong thorough read.
For each person that didn't post, there are at least 10, 50 or 100 who didn't or are not yet aware of the new G4. I was just browsing the site myself and was excited to see the banner for G4, initially I thought it would be a software upgrade to G3.5 but was a little disappointed to see it would be a total hardware upgrade.
I may sound like I am complaining but I actually have a low overhead and may get the G4 "if" it does significantly more than what I already have, and that's where they may take a hit...on that "if" factor. It is just a little disappointing for "loyal" users to have to go purchase new hardware; that, to me, is a big deterrant. If microsoft came out with a new product and I had to go get a whole new computer, then I might go with the competiton. But they are so dominant, I don't know who their competition is right off hand.

Realflight would have probably done better, financially, figuring a way to upgrade users of at least G3 to G4 without too much hassle and also inviting in new users to G4. They probably may have wanted to do this and found it not to be feasable. Or financially viable. Personally, it is probably just business.
Altough everyone else might be doing this, the key is that they can(hopefully) afford to. A company with a relatively small customer base or a rarified base, has to be careful.

Anyway, I like the Realflight stuff and will probably continue with it, if G4 is significantly better; I mean if I can design an EA on it...hmmm that might do it for me; I may have misunderstood this though. The visuals also look pretty cool, but the competiton has excellent visiuals. See where I am going??? Small/rarified customer base and strong competition... and some ifs.

Anticipate that there will probably be a G5, a G6, and so on. One day you might be standing in your living room holding a transmitter with a virtual world all around you, flying a virtual aircraft or whatever you have. ;)

Not for ven2s.

El Capitan said:
:mad: I am very hacked as well!!!! I just got the G3.5 and now your telling me that I have to PURCHASE the G4 and I cannot upgrade!!! Screw you guys! :mad: I will just get a a different flight sim!! You guys are NOT the only ones that make a flight sim! You know that right!? :mad: I am going to tell everyone I know in the hobby not to get G4 and I will let them know why too!!!

Way to be just like Kyosho!!! (Not support thier customers with older products)

If you just got G3.5 then why is your join date (03-09-2006)? You have been posting here ever since. Also from your posts it looks like you started with G.3 then like everybody else upgraded to G3.5 for FREE! You should really read whats in your post history! Quit complaining.

Last edited:
ven2s said:
I have read all the posts and I think Realflight better take a strong thorough read.
For each person that didn't post, there are at least 10, 50 or 100 who didn't or are not yet aware of the new G4. I was just browsing the site myself and was excited to see the banner for G4, initially I thought it would be a software upgrade to G3.5 but was a little disappointed to see it would be a total hardware upgrade.
I may sound like I am complaining but I actually have a low overhead<Edit See this thread Edit> and may get the G4 "if" it does significantly more than what I already have, and that's where they may take a hit...on that "if" factor. It is just a little disappointing for "loyal" users to have to go purchase new hardware; that, to me, is a big deterrant. If microsoft came out with a new product and I had to go get a whole new computer, Vista ? then I might go with the competiton. But they are so dominant, I don't know who their competition is right off hand.

Realflight would have probably done better, financially, figuring a way to upgrade users of at least G3 to G4 without too much hassle (Its not an Upgrade, its a new Product. Hence the name G4) and also inviting in new users to G4. They probably may have wanted to do this and found it not to be feasable. Or financially viable. Personally, it is probably just business.
Altough everyone else might be doing this, the key is that they can(hopefully) afford to. A company with a relatively small customer base or a rarified base, has to be careful (And up to date with new Products. how many people were complaining about the Controler).

Anyway, I like the Realflight stuff and will probably continue with it, if G4 is significantly better; I mean if I can design an EA on it...hmmm that might do it for me (Might! Might!? AS if! Get real! think of the costs in that, and why should every user pay for the Licence of a tool like that); I may have misunderstood this though. The visuals also look pretty cool, but the competiton has excellent visiuals. See where I am going??? Small/rarified customer base and strong competition... and some ifs.

Anticipate that there will probably be a G5, a G6, and so on. One day you might be standing in your living room holding a transmitter with a virtual world all around you, flying a virtual aircraft or whatever you have. ;)

Bryce.

tnorton12000 said:
If you just got G3.5 then why is your join date (03-09-2006)? You have been posting here ever since. Also from your posts it looks like you started with G.3 then like everybody else upgraded to G3.5 for FREE! You should really read what your post history! Quit complaining.
Nice catch

Me Smells a Bogus Propaganda worker.​

ouch!

Gee wiz Bryce, you didn't have to jump on a brotha like that! :eek:

Anyway, I think RealFlight should have some concerns because this debate, however foolish it may seem, is stemming from somewhere. Right or wrong, there are some pissed off users.

As for me, life is too short to go off about anything that won't last. People are suffering and dying in the world, for me every thing else is smoke and mirrors.

P.S. That's why I didn't get Vista, and I didn't call G4 an upgrade, I said they should have figured a way to upgrade G3 users to G4 but it probably was not feasible. That's why I call G4 Hardware not Software.

Last edited:
ven2s said:
Gee wiz Bryce, you didn't have to jump on a brotha like that! :eek:

Anyway, I think RealFlight should have some concerns because this debate, however foolish it may seem, is stemming from somewhere. Right or wrong, there are some pissed off users.

As for me, life is too short to go off about anything that won't last. People are suffering and dying in the world, for me every thing else is smoke and mirrors.
Not jumping on ya. No offence. just trying to help keep it straight.
there are a lot of Supposed users who are just reading what is in these posts and not taking note as to what is actually on offer (Have a little look around). Things grow out of nothing. and it ends up being all bad Propaganda.
they are easy to spot. mostly they don’t ask questions just make strange Guesses. like.
"I have to throw G3 away and Buy G4"

Don't be a sheep. make your own investigations and if in doubt. Ask a question. the mods and admin and Jim and all are watching and will answer some questions here and there. you will see.

IF in doubt. just ask.

PS. Did you go to that Link ?
https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?t=18385

Bryce.

i fly g 3 on an older download because i like the way the phisics are.
i agree with the gent a few posts ago.this is a tool for me also ans an invaluable one at that.

i dont expect to run out and buy g4 right away but why not make a good thing better. I paid 200 dollars 2 years ago and saved thousands in real airplanes.

thanx realflight
keep it up.

mv-warbird :D

hmmm.

good point! When you look at it like that, $200.00 is nothing compared to 5 or 10 times that!

cfossa wrote:
As far as features go ... the ability to design new planes from within G4 would get my $200 add-ons or not.
Carl,
The ability to design new planes from withing G4 will be exactly the same as from G3.5 ..... not easy and not free :) , it has been already answered by KE.

Andrzej

In the latest Tower Talk Flyer.. It says the G4 will work
with all of the G3 Expansion Packs.. But not with any G2 Products
Am I reading that right?
Jeff

Cougar said:
In the latest Tower Talk Flyer.. It says the G4 will work
with all of the G3 Expansion Packs.. But not with any G2 Products
Am I reading that right?
Jeff
From the KE Announcement
https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?p=93912#post93912

One important note: RealFlight G4 is not compatible with the RealFlight Classic or G2 "Add Ons" packs. It is, however, compatible with all RealFlight G3 Expansion Packs. Unfortunately, the older Add Ons just couldn't be reworked to fit into G4's way of doing things. We are still looking into some way of making these packs available to RealFlight G4 customers.

Just let Me Highlight a line there.

One important note: RealFlight G4 is not compatible with the RealFlight Classic or G2 "Add Ons" packs. It is, however, compatible with all RealFlight G3 Expansion Packs. Unfortunately, the older Add Ons just couldn't be reworked to fit into G4's way of doing things. We are still looking into some way of making these packs available to RealFlight G4 customers.

Thank you very much for the info Sir...

I will back-order a G-4 * ;) (I just want to float fly!)

Got all the other transmitters might as well keep
my collection going *lol*

One day there will be a G-10 I suppose!

Again Thanks.

Jeff

Cougar said:
Thank you very much for the info Sir...

I will back-order a G-4 * ;) (I just want to float fly!)

Got all the other transmitters might as well keep
my collection going *lol*

One day there will be a G-10 I suppose!

Again Thanks.

Jeff
:)

G10 :) and :(
:) because my son will be flying it, and
:( because I may not be.
Well, I'll be 60+ but, I wonder how my brain may be :p

Your welcome.
Bryce.

Personally, I've had G3 (then 3.5) since shortly after they were released. I feel that I've got my $200 worth out of G3 and will upgrade or not to G4 based upon whether or not the new features are worth it to me.

But, if I just bought G3 in the last 2-3 months I too would be upset. In that case I would have waited to buy G4 if the company had announced the upcoming release. They certainly have known for some time that a new version was coming out. Would have been nice to share with the user community a bit earlier.

Perhaps they will cut people a more significant rebate if G3 was purchased in the last 2-3 months. Does not appy to me, but seems fair since they did not give users the info needed to choose between G3 now or G4 in a short while.

Carl

cfossa said:
But, if I just bought G3 in the last 2-3 months I too would be upset. In that case I would have waited to buy G4 if the company had announced the upcoming release. They certainly have known for some time that a new version was coming out. Would have been nice to share with the user community a bit earlier.
Carl

I completely agree with this. They state that the game will be coming out at the end of October around the 20th of October? That is a bunch of crap. Games are developed for years, and everyone knows at least 6 months in advance the approximate release date.

But then again, there is not that much new stuff added in G4. It probably didn't take that much time to do.

I will have both Installed so I can still use both systems
as I can do with G3 and G2 I am not letting my other software
go to waste.. I can run both now why not g2 g3 and 4 on
the same system. or at least until they solve the issue of
making the software disks 1-5 (add-ons)work with g4.

ShotgunTC88 said:
Hmm, Maybe I should cry too...........

I just bought the 3.5 1month ago!

So I have to buy it all again or get oh, let's say $30 "Trade in" for my $250 worth of outdated sim?

:mad:

Some of us are NOT made of money

Shotgun
Amen, dude! I am in the same boat and am ticked that I may have to shell out another $100+ to stay current.

RealFlight / Great Planes - Please don't take this upgrade out of the hide of people who just purchased RF G3.5. It's one thing if you have been flying that version for like a year or so. I have only been flying it for a month!

Back