Upgrade costs?

HX3D014 said:
Nice catch

Me Smells a Bogus Propaganda worker.​

A year ago I got G3.5 and upgraded to 3.5 when it came out. The upgrade was recently relesed less than a year ago. Its not like they have been out for years and years! ;)

El Capitan said:
A year ago I got G3.5 and upgraded to 3.5 when it came out. The upgrade was recently relesed less than a year ago. Its not like they have been out for years and years! ;)

(A year ago I got G3.5 and upgraded to 3.5) HUH?

G4 is about $200.00 just like G3. G3 and G3.5 owners are gonna have to shell out ANOTHER 200.00 to get G4!!! What a crock! :mad:

Well , lemme see... I paid $199.00 for G2 when it came out
------------------------ I paid $199.00 for G3 when it came out
---------------- Now I WILL pay 199.00 for G4

All 3 of these products have gotten nothing but better and better.
maybe if people wait another year or two G5 will be out.
And it won't hurt so bad I guess.

kind of like the last 30 years that I have been buying my cars!

I also amazes me that the gaming crowd will keep shelling out over
5 to 7 hundred dollars for Xbox or whatever the new system are now and
not even complain one bit. they just can not wait until the next new version
comes out to do it all over again. and then there is ALL those DOOM Programs
that have got better over there years with graphics yadda, yadda, yadda :confused: but nobody complained when the new release came out.. Ummmm *thinking* :rolleyes:

I hope GP sells a boatload of G4! Been getting a lot of stick time on MS FSX, in prep for getting my 2nd full scale aircraft in 30 years.

Should check in here more often...very amusing.

While KE MUST get reams of amusement from these posts, it is apparent there are those who would deny KE to improve and massage their flight sim for the better?

KE obviously listens to customers; look at the improvements G3 through G3.5 have gotten!

G3.5 is fine for me presently. When it ceases to be fine for me, G4 will be on the shopping list.

Onward, upward. A very simple and necessary concept, whether one embraces it, or not.

Charles

OSHKOSH B'GOSH:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v402/r1derbike/EAA AirVenture 2007 - Oshkosh/?start=all

I've been flying RC since 1986 and graduated to jets in 89' and just recently a friend of mine introduced me to RF G3.5 and I was amazed. Until then, I had tried a few sims and was not impressed to say the least. G3.5 is pretty much realistic except for the peripheral vision which in my guess would be really hard to simulate. Anyway, I just bought G3.5 in May and just in the last 2 months bought all the add-ons and expansion packs which all of you know costs a few $$$. In the case of G4 coming out, I probably will not consider it unless they make everything I have compatible with it, which could happen. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm happy with what I have and the little extras that G4 comes with does not interest me enough to shell out another $200 without the backward compatibility and the $$$ I have invested.

I'm neither upset nor happy with G4 coming out other than I may have waited on buying all the add-ons if I had known it was coming out. I just wish I could figure out how to host on the internet :)

Until then..go fast and turn!

Well said!

I could not have put it better myself
JimNC54271 said:
After spending almost 500 bucks on this simulator and all of the add ons and expansion packs and you cannot make all of it work, WTF. I'll say this now, YOU ARE GOING TO LOSE ALOT OF SUPPORT FOR THIS PRODUCT from the people that have have made you money and have kept you in business and you know it. Granted you have alot of new features and is a completely new program, but I think it's not going to work to your benefit. Take for example MICROSOFT. Do honestly think that if Bill Gates would have made WINDOWS XP and not made it backward compatible he would still be in business? You have lost your minds. If, and only if, you included EVERY aircraft and field included in all of the ADD-ONS would I even consider purchasing G4. I'm sorry to say that you will lose more than just the support of your current consumer base, you will take a HUGE hit in your wallets. I'd rather spend the money on a REAL R/C plane and crash it and it will cost me LESS money! I've been flying for over a decade now and it has cost me less money to do that than it has to buy this program and all of the computers and upgrades to run it! As far as I'm concerned, you have lost a customer and most likely alot more than you will ever imagine. I'm going to stick with what I have now and if given the choice, I will buy a different program. Thank you for a great program but do not look forward to me being a repeat customer. And thank you to all of the guys that spend countless hours of their own time to provide us with the planes and fields that you do not pay for. I bid farewell.

John B said:
John B;
welcome to the forums :)
Are you aware that KE are working on a way to get the Old G2 base planes to work with the new G4 way of doing things ?

Let me show you the post.

https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?p=93912#post93912

this was posted on the 18th this month. Its early days at the moment.

Just so you can find it. I will highlight a particular section from that post.

One important note: RealFlight G4 is not compatible with the RealFlight Classic or G2 "Add Ons" packs. It is, however, compatible with all RealFlight G3 Expansion Packs. Unfortunately, the older Add Ons just couldn't be reworked to fit into G4's way of doing things. We are still looking into some way of making these packs available to RealFlight G4 customers.

Hang tight and Fingers crossed they get the Awesome Planes Gliders Heli and VTOL's into G4 soon ;)

Bryce

John B said:
PS. the designers will still be making aircraft etc that can work in G3. so the Product is not void. Keep G3. and if you want to change to G4 then do so. and even then you can still use G3 on the same PC.

If I had the money generated just by forced sales from people having to update products Hardware and Software etc whilst going from one of Microsoft's OS's to another.
Then I would be rich.

Bryce.

(one of my personal Examples, MSFS 98 to MSFS 2004 (Aircraft not compatible)
MS Force feedback wheel, not supported anymore. I can use. But there is no Genuine MS compatibility with XP for mapping the Buttons).

Last edited:
Hey everyone, stop complaining.

If you want it, buy it. If you don't, then don't. The rest of the world does not need to hear you whine about it.

Upgrading to the newest technology always costs and any time you buy something it'll be obsolete nearly as soon as you get it out of the box. Live with it. That's just the way the industry is. Companies are always producing new products, to stay on the leading edge and SELL their products for a living. Don't expect any company to just give you the new versions, they have to eat too. If they are nice enough to offer a rebate for prior customers great... They really don't have to, you know.

For the record, the upgrade from G2 to G3 only cost me $2200 because I needed a new computer to run it. That was the only program I used that needed the power, but I've never regretted the decision.

El Capitan said:
G4 is about $200.00 just like G3. G3 and G3.5 owners are gonna have to shell out ANOTHER 200.00 to get G4!!! What a crock! :mad:

The "Crock" is that post.

NO ONE HAS TO SHELL ANYTHING OUT.

You can continue to use G3.5 all you want.... that's what you paid for.

Get over it.

cfossa said:
FWIW, Tower Hobbies and my local hobby shop are now selling G3.5 at a discount.

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/realflight/gpmz4405m.html

Not bad!

Carl

That is a very good deal! $160 is probably the lowest price you will ever see for a simulator like this.

To all the people that complain how Add-On's 1-5 won't work.....who cares! They still work for G3 and it's not like when you install G4 on your computer it renders G3 useless, if you want to fly an aircraft from add on 1-5 then double click on G3.

If you want to fly float planes, and whatever the new options are for G4 then go out and buy it and double click on G4.

Really don't see what the issue here is. If you want G4....buy it!!! If not then continue to use G3. G3 is still the same program you paid $200 for whether it was last week or last yr.

Hey! I want the difference between what I paid for G3 several years ago, and what the discounted price is today (snicker)!

Look at all that money I've lost! A fortune!

See how ridiculous the above sounds? :D

Just like how ridiculous the G3.5 - G4.0 sniveling is.

Get a life.

Charles

*sigh* Another damned congtroller

Okay, this is getting a little silly for me.

My gripe isn't the money per se. I have no problems with KE charging money for an upgrade - they have to make a living doing this stuff. However:

- For goodness sake have a grace period. If you don't want to provide details of future plans, someone who just bought G3.5 in the last 6 months and can prove it should get a hefty discount off G4 (basically cover your costs on the radio). Making a new user feel like they've been ripped off is not smart whether or not you can justify it. You'll lose as much business as you gain by this tactic. If your software is stellar but the user experience dealing with you is awful...well you reap what you sew and all that. I've seen the mantra here repeatedly that KE owes its customers nothing - well and good but telling customers for a speciality product to just not buy it or that they require an IQ test harms the whole Realflight community since the less customers there are, the less viable and more expensive a specialty product becomes.

- I just got back from a 2 month honeymoon and am looking at buying G3 addon 4. (I only bought addon 3 not long too before I went away and got busy planning for the wedding). Now I don't mind the USD30 for the addon but each time there's a new addon I get gouged for shipping or have to buy from local distributors that also gouge (USD50 or more and also charge postage since I'd have to spend half a day getting to anyone local who sells G3 over the counter). So my cheapest option becomes to go through tower hobbies, pay for shipping and wait weeks to get stuff. That way its only USD50 instead of USD60-70 or more. Not a big deal if its a one off but this happens EVERY time there's a new release that isn't a download. I have to wait AND I pay through the nose for that cheap suppose to be US30 update. Surely a better distribution chain isn't THAT big an ask.

- How long before G3.5 support is dropped? It didn't take that long when G3 was released for G2 servers to be removed. The final update was provided only if you requested it from KE support, and forget multiplayer. Those that are arguing that those who don't want to move to G4 and will still have a perfectly functional G3.5 are not considering multiplayer (or replacement of ever rarer G3/G3.5 controllers if they break for that matter). For those that break a controller or prefer multiplayer being able to install it on current hardware and OS without needing support/servers is cold comfort.

- I consider the vague promise to attempt to import old G2 addin packs into G4 to be worth about the same as the promise they once made to provide a GMax plugin to create planes. We all know how that went. It may or may not happen. The same planes may be re-released as G4 packs that must be paid for. I don't know and I'm not interested until there's a product on the shelf or for download. (Note I don't think KE can have it both ways - No firm plans or release dates yet vague promises customers are suppose to make decisions on)

- A lot of addon aircraft rely on G2 addon components so we're losing more than just those addons themselves. I wonder how many free developers will bother updating their planes to work with G4, particularly if it's a significant rework. One of the selling points of G3 is that there are literally hundreds of addon planes and a strong user community. Make it too hard and people will get jaded and the freeware will dry up (especially since you're buying the best freeware talent and making them KE staff). Ignoring and putting down users who are upset by this isn't smart either.

- Having bought G2 and G3, I have a G2 controller and a G3. I have both G2 and G3.5 installed on my laptop (and use them on the commute to and from work). If I want a choice of which sim I use, I have to choose in advance which controller to carry (or carry both). Now if I buy G4 I'll have yet another one to carry??? How attractive does the proposition of doing that seem to me? Not very. I could stop using it on the train but for me that would mean stopping my simming almost completely (making G4 a waste of money) Time on my daily commute is the often the only "me time" I get - I can't be the only one for whom carrying and storing lots of "software radios" is becoming tedious. This is part of the insanity that comes with making the controller the dongle (and being so afraid most of your customers will thieve the product that you change dongle with each version). To add insult to injury from the user's perspective the only thing that the G3 controller added over G2's is a red button for reset. Basically the G2 controller got it right. I have to ask what's so wrong with the current controller that we need yet another incarnation. I just hope it's an improvement and not a step backwards or sideways. I also hope there are no quality control issues (as reported by some G3.5 buyers).

- Those of you who don't think the physics can be significantly better in such a short span of time I suspect may be wrong. If they really have ground (and water) handling physics that feels close to real, I think that alone will be worth it (and even more so for those who are just learning to fly). There were a handful of things wrong with G3 and G3.5 - yes there was some to-ing and fro-in on the physics and small changes can have a giant impact on realism BUT the KE team were very close and don't forget have been bringing on new talent. The G4 physics will either be spot on or more likely will be compromised by the new features which will take time to mature and it'll be a stepping stone to something solid in a minor release. I've been wanting a plane that will bounce and strike it's prop for quite some time now - this would be a selling point (though certainly not enough on it's own) if done well (realistically). The potential is defintely there for something a class above what we have. Especially and for those who haven't bought a sim yet and don't know what one can and can't do it'll be a no brainer to buy if this potential is reached.

- Performance is going to be more important than price. The price of the sim is still very cheap compared to the price of new hardware required to run the sim acceptably. Many are still realing from Vista upgrades earlier this year so this isn't the time for a sim to be released that requires new hardware, breaks compatibility, or has show stoping bugs for that matter (given many already have G3). Don't believe me? Have a look at the love/hate relationship Flight Sim enthusiasts have with Microsoft FSX. Many users are sticking with the nearly 4 year old FS2004 instead and there's been some fracture of the user community over it.

If people don't like what I've said, they're entitled to their opinion of course. I've always tried to be fair to KE and point out both bad and good. However I've been disappointed more than once by KE and I have a long memory. I've already seen some rather snide remarks and name calling over G4, and that's been one of the worst things about interacting with this community - negative feedback, constructive or not, is often either just shot down or ignored. In the long run I'm not the only one with a long memory and users will only put up with so much before moving on to greener pastures (even if that means leaving the hobby behind in some cases). Of course all of this only matters if you care what this sim will look like in 5 years...

Last edited:
Cougar said:
I also amazes me that the gaming crowd will keep shelling out over
5 to 7 hundred dollars for Xbox or whatever the new system are now and
not even complain one bit. they just can not wait until the next new version
comes out to do it all over again. and then there is ALL those DOOM Programs
that have got better over there years with graphics yadda, yadda, yadda :confused: but nobody complained when the new release came out.. Ummmm *thinking* :rolleyes:

I will not buy any of those game systems for that very reason. Plus the PCs have better graphics anyway. ;)

Why don't they realease a software only version(much cheaper) w/o the interlink controller, for G3 and G3.5 owners? So you don't have to buy the interlink controller again. I don't care that they added silver trim and moved a few buttons around, it still does the same thing as the G3 interlink controller it just looks different. The G3 interlink controller is good enough for me. Besides all that, I usually just hook up my Futaba radio and fly with it anyway. I only use the interlink controller when I can't use my Futaba radio, like when the batts are low, or when my son plays it.

Back