Orion G801

Use the information in the G4 Artists Reference.pdf from KnifeEdge to setup the nose gear and doors like they have it on the B-25 this is how I do it for my nose gear. Read that whole area about the different types of gear door parameters.

If you don't have the G4 Artist Reference PDF here's a link to download it.

https://www.knifeedge.com/KEmax/G4%20Artists%20Reference.pdf

Attachments

• Nose Gear.jpg
    Nose Gear.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 7
I'm having a problem with that because the nose doors are multi rotational, so I had to make the a movable pod. They don't seem to sync properly.

I'm having a problem with that because the nose doors are multi rotational, so I had to make the a movable pod. They don't seem to sync properly.

Here's how I have the pivot point setup for my Rage tail wheel which uses the setup from the PDF I posted a picture of before. The trick is (from legoman) to make sure you're setting the 'local' pivot (notice the arrow points to that in my picture).

Attachments

• Nose Pivot.jpg
    Nose Pivot.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 6
Nose doors set as GD2, and were the nose doors in the DOWN position when exported from max. ?

He mentions multi-rotational but I think with the proper pivot point setup and like you say (from the G4 PDF) use GD2 so the doors open in the correct sequence that will work. I think he's using 3ds Max 2020 and I'm using 2015 so I can't import his max file but maybe if he sends me a FBX export I can try that. Yes and for sure export in the down position.

I figured it out, using movable pods with modifiers. It was too hard to find the exact pivot point, that would close the doors flush, ( I don't know how to do that in ,without doing it by trial and error. I haven't worked with animations in MAX yet). So I imported them in the closed position. Then it was easier having them open, where the looks weren't as critical. Thanks for the support guys ( and gals).

Next question. Is there an example of a plane that uses differential braking ?

I figured it out, using movable pods with modifiers. It was too hard to find the exact pivot point, that would close the doors flush, ( I don't know how to do that in ,without doing it by trial and error. I haven't worked with animations in MAX yet). So I imported them in the closed position. Then it was easier having them open, where the looks weren't as critical. Thanks for the support guys ( and gals).

Next question. Is there an example of a plane that uses differential braking ?

HA.. Last night the first thing I was going to do was mention using modifiers to set how the doors close and worked on one for a while to upload. But then I thought the right way to do it was by setting the pivot point correctly so I uploaded how I did that instead. I've done that quite a bit and it works. I also slowed down your retract servo to see how the doors moved and saw odd angles as they moved which was why I changed my mind and posted a picture of how the pivot point should be setup for them to move correctly. Well sometimes help isn't so much help and why sometimes I just stay out of it. But I'm glad to hear you figured it out.

I guess the differential engine control in the DC-4 would work the same as differential braking so maybe that will help you.

I can't seem to get the left and right brakes, to differentiate from each other. I tried adding dummy gear and wheels to separate them, but the game won't recognize them.

Is there a way to get more than 12 channels ?

I'm going to kill myself. I tried to import an updated model of the Orion, and it got corrupted, and I lost a whole 2 days of work. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't seem to get the left and right brakes, to differentiate from each other. I tried adding dummy gear and wheels to separate them, but the game won't recognize them.

Is there a way to get more than 12 channels ?

You need nonsymetrical gear aka one for the left one and for the right no rf 9 is hard coded to 12 channels even though rf8 and earlier was not that is also why the skyraider has limited functionality and does not work properly in rf9

So, if the gear is attached to the Wings, then you need non-symetrical everything. Would it work if the gear and wheels were dummies ?

Add wheel to landing gear and name them left and right, added extra brake servo.

Attachments

• Orion G302 Brakes_AV.RFX
    42.8 KB · Views: 2
Got most of the work back. I don't think I'll redo all the cockpit animations. There's not enough channels to make it happen.

Attachments

• ScreenShotOrion G801.jpg
    ScreenShotOrion G801.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 12
Also add simple inputs to channels 10 and 11 linked to channel 2 elevator.

Attachments

• Orion G302 Brakes++_AV.RFX
    42.7 KB · Views: 3
Back