Issues with Radeon 5700 XT

This problem is happening again after the last AMD driver update!! I load RF9 and it freezes with "Not Responding" on the main screen.
I have tried re-installing and it is still the same :(

20.11.2 is working for me too (5500xt).
21.4.1 doesn't work.
Anyone tried the new release from AMD (21.5.2)?
Is there a plan to add a fix to RF?

20.11.2 is working for me too (5500xt).
21.4.1 doesn't work.
Anyone tried the new release from AMD (21.5.2)?
Is there a plan to add a fix to RF?

There isn't really a problem with RF. The issue seems specific to 5000 series AMD GPUs on a specific driver. AMD and their ability to break their drivers more often then they fix them which is why I don't use anything AMD anymore. To be fair Nvidia did a similar thing recently with P3D and updated their Drivers to fix the issue. It took Nvidia about a month to fix it. AMD needs to fix their problem since It is a Driver related issue.

I had a 5700 XT card and I recently upgraded to a 6900 XT. This issue is not isolated to AMD 5000 cards only. The issue exist on 6000 cards as well. The game freezes at startup.

Neither of the current drivers offered by AMD works with Realflight 8 or 9.5:
21.4.1 Recommended
21.5.2 Optional

Note: I've only tested the Steam edition and not the stand alone version

This is now a very old issue and it's affecting a lot of users.
KnifeEdge: Please have a look at this again.

Thanks

I had a 5700 XT card and I recently upgraded to a 6900 XT. This issue is not isolated to AMD 5000 cards only. The issue exist on 6000 cards as well. The game freezes at startup.

Neither of the current drivers offered by AMD works with Realflight 8 or 9.5:
21.4.1 Recommended
21.5.2 Optional

Note: I've only tested the Steam edition and not the stand alone version

This is now a very old issue and it's affecting a lot of users.
KnifeEdge: Please have a look at this again.

Thanks
Usually these type of things are "driver" related so you can have problems across multiple products from a manufacturer. These day's drivers generally have conditional compiles that allow one set of software to work across more than one product line so you see this type of thing. It's still an AMD issue but I do agree KnifeEdge should move to a newer version of DirectX which willl give them better support and probably a fix for AMD. But AMD is known for poor drivers so lots of people stay away from them for that reason alone. I'm sorry about your issues but in the end this is still an AMD driver issue.

Usually these type of things are "driver" related so you can have problems across multiple products from a manufacturer. These day's drivers generally have conditional compiles that allow one set of software to work across more than one product line so you see this type of thing. It's still an AMD issue but I do agree KnifeEdge should move to a newer version of DirectX which willl give them better support and probably a fix for AMD. But AMD is known for poor drivers so lots of people stay away from them for that reason alone. I'm sorry about your issues but in the end this is still an AMD driver issue.

I'd like to think that it is in KnifeEdge's (economic) interest to analyze if there is a work around on their end instead of just hoping that AMD will come with a solution. The situation is basically that AMD owners cannot use this product.

I read this topic through and it's still unclear if they even have tried to solve the issue from their side. Maybe it is?

DX11/12? Yeah, totally agree.

KnifeEdge: If I can assist in any way, please let me know. Log files, tests etc...

Last edited:
I'd like to think that it is in KnifeEdge's (economic) interest to analyze if there is a work around on their end instead of just hoping that AMD will come with a solution. The situation is basically that AMD owners cannot use this product.

I read this topic through and it's still unclear if they even have tried to solve the issue from their side. Maybe it is?

DX11/12? Yeah, totally agree.

KnifeEdge: If I can assist in any way, please let me know. Log files, tests etc...
I have to agree with you there it would be in their interest to come up with a fix for it. But I've also seen this same issue with AMD drivers on quite a few different games in the past so it happens more with AMD drivers than it does with NVIDIA drivers. It's too bad I'm sure it would be a simple fix once you find it.

I haven't followed this very close but wasn't there a set of drivers for the 5700 xt that was usable? Here's a post from Jeremy Sebens about the 5700 xt card KE purchased and tested.

https://forums.realflight.com/index.php?threads/issues-with-radeon-5700-xt.52109/post-330302

Our card arrived and we were able to test various drivers. Results with RealFlight mirror others':
  • With the "Recommended" (by AMD) 20.4.2 driver, RealFlight 9 runs fine.
  • With the "Latest" 20.8.1 driver, RealFlight 9 hangs on the loading screen and stops responding.
The "Recommended" driver is the one that AMD designates as stable. A quick survey suggests that the "Latest" driver, while not named as a beta, seems to have issues on many titles, not just RealFlight.

We'll convey this information to Product Support so that they can more quickly help other users.

Radeon 6900XT only driver that works for now is Adrenalin-20.12.2
Fixing AMD driver issue i guess should be huge priority for KnifeEdge as you are loosing big chunk of the market.

Radeon 6900XT only driver that works for now is Adrenalin-20.12.2
Fixing AMD driver issue i guess should be huge priority for KnifeEdge as you are loosing big chunk of the market.
Contact AMD and have them fix the Driver. Realflight hasn't changed in a very long time and was working fine on AMD hardware before they updated broke their driver. AMD is good at breaking their drivers, which is why I use Nvidia.

Man... Feels like I've tried everything...

1: Tried to get DXVK working with Realflight. Somehow, Realflight seems to choose the directX files in the System32 directory and will ignore any files put next to the executable.
2: Tried to get Realflight working in Fedora with Lutris and Wine. I got really far here: Game starts fine (thanks to DXVK) and I managed to get the FrSky USB sim dongle working as well. However, no sound after trying for almost a day. Sound works fine with other DX9 games with Lutris so this seems to be RealFlight specific. Issue might be isolated to the Steam version and I haven't tested the stand alone version yet.

As noted above (thanks tandem63!) the 20.12.2 driver works fine, but switching drivers between latest (want the latest for other games) and an older one is too much of a hassle for me.

Sad to report that I requested a refund in steam and I'm switching to Aerofly RC 8 instead.

Man... Feels like I've tried everything...
Everything except a dedicated Windows machine with an NVidia card.
:sneaky:

2: Tried to get Realflight working in Fedora with Lutris and Wine. I got really far here: Game starts fine (thanks to DXVK) and I managed to get the FrSky USB sim dongle working as well.
Try one more thing; switch from Fedora to Mint; or to ubuntu upstream. I think you'll have better luck with the sound on Mint. I'm impressed that you got DXVK to work (on Fedora) with RealFlight.

marcus

Everything except a dedicated Windows machine with an NVidia card.
:sneaky:

Try one more thing; switch from Fedora to Mint; or to ubuntu upstream. I think you'll have better luck with the sound on Mint. I'm impressed that you got DXVK to work (on Fedora) with RealFlight.

marcus

heh, yes. Tried ALMOST everything... :)

I haven't used Mint for a long while but I'll make sure to try that one instead. This time with RealFlight 8. I still own that version. Thanks!

I found a solution for mine:
(https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics/5700xt-don-t-support-directx-9/td-p/361773)
It's some .dll files wich can convert DirextX9 into Vulcan so the RX 5700XT can "read" it.

Here is the link to the download: https://github.com/Joshua-Ashton/d9vk/releases/tag/0.30
And if you want more information you can just follow the first link to the AMD community thread where it is explaned.
But some quick information here:

1- Download "d9vk-0.30.tar"

2- Extract the file

3- Inside the already extracted folder there is "d9vk-0.30.tar", extract it again

4- Go to the extracted folder "d9vk-0.30" then go x32 file (RF8 runs on x32)

5- Copy all 6 files to the RF Folder (wich also includes the RF8Launcher.exe)

Now it works but the window mutates into different shapes if you don't use fullscreen mode. Hopefully this will get fixed and only be a workaround.

Attachments

• Unbenannt.JPG
    Unbenannt.JPG
    199.7 KB · Views: 1
Back