Orion G801

Orion - Differential Braking

Downloaded your Aircraft … Nice work !!!
I have been messing around with differential braking for awhile on some of my variants.

I added my take on yours, and am attaching, in case you may want to see another approach.

Since the original plane did not steer with the nose wheel, I thought it would be interesting to work on.

Having a pusher prop also limits the effectiveness of the rudder from the prop, so differential braking would be needed without a steerable nose wheel.

In essence, I apply the inner brake while releasing the outer brake in a turn.
In this case sim, the technique works pretty well at ground speeds below 10 mph, then looses effectiveness as speed increases. It seems that if a little braking ( with the elevator ) is applied, then it helps above 10 mph.

Since I have been developing a variation for my use, you may notice some other changes. You did some nice work on the cockpit, and I am messing around with the controls. Notice the gear lights go 'Off' between full up and full down ( until they "lock" ). I'm retired, and this is my pastime, especially during the cold season.

Thanks for giving me another nice plane to work on.
Hoping this attachment works … first time use on this site !

View attachment Orion G 801_HM_AV.RFX

IMO, at higher speeds, you don't really want that much differential braking authority. Probably more than I have it, but somewhat less than you have it. But once you download it, it's your plane. ;)

Thanks for the feed back. :D

Donomy, excellent job on the Orion, SO, I was wondering if you have a "next" project in mind, if not, I have one for you to consider. I`m primarily asking you because you just completed your model. Legoman, technoid, you`re welcome to consider this plane as well. It`s a Mooney M20c, there`s never been one in RF to my knowledge, I searched a little ,and came up with nothing, Main reason I`m asking is because my son just bought one about a month ago, and thought it would be cool for him too see his plane in RF, If you , Tech or Legoman care to do the plane, I can probably get him to take pics. meantime, here`s a pic. of the plane. I`ve got some 3-views that I think will work nice. One caveat, I`d you you to send me a copy for RF 6.5, I not sure if you know how to do that, I`m HOPING Legoman or Tech. might show you. :p

Attachments

• ScreenShot446.jpg
    ScreenShot446.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 11
I've actually already started on a request, ... a sport jet for someone. I don't think it will take that long (no cockpit). After that I would consider it. If one of the other modelers would like to do it before, that would be cool too.

Thanks for the quick reply Donomy, I`ll see if Legoman or Tech. chime in, I`m hoping they`ll read your thread.:p:D Keep up the great work !!;):D

I made a slightly "souped up" version of the G801 using a 250cc gas engine. Tops out in the 120-130 mph range in level flight.

Donamy - Your Plane - Orian G-801

Fair assessment of my post!

However it will always be your plane, mine will be a variant of a nice model provided thru this forum by yourself.

Also, the cockpit gages are some of the clearest provided … Nice !

My variant will be F-PYNA … trying hard to do it well.
You chose one of the nicest color schemes I could find.
Seems a very rare bird indeed.

Donomy, excellent job on the Orion, SO, I was wondering if you have a "next" project in mind, if not, I have one for you to consider. I`m primarily asking you because you just completed your model. Legoman, technoid, you`re welcome to consider this plane as well. It`s a Mooney M20c, there`s never been one in RF to my knowledge, I searched a little ,and came up with nothing, Main reason I`m asking is because my son just bought one about a month ago, and thought it would be cool for him too see his plane in RF, If you , Tech or Legoman care to do the plane, I can probably get him to take pics. meantime, here`s a pic. of the plane. I`ve got some 3-views that I think will work nice. One caveat, I`d you you to send me a copy for RF 6.5, I not sure if you know how to do that, I`m HOPING Legoman or Tech. might show you. :p

My dad used to have an M20c. He sold it last year sadly.

That`s pretty cool Kha, I hope you got to take some flights/rides with him, I`v yet to be up with my son in his plane.

Thanks for the quick reply Donomy, I`ll see if Legoman or Tech. chime in, I`m hoping they`ll read your thread.:p:D Keep up the great work !!;):D

I'm sorry UT but I've already started tinkering with two planes and being honest I'm kind of burned out on scale planes. So for now old school rc planes it is.

AS Dundee once said "No worries mate".....Tech., I completely understand, You know I couldn`t put the request out there without including your name. Donomy was my first pick because he`d just finished a build (A great one at that..!!) All three of you guy`s Legoman included of coarse , do fantastic work. I hope your wife is doing well, as well as yourself,..;);) .....OH, Thank`s for your reply..

It was a fast machine! They don't have much of a glide rate though....

Yep, Since he`s gotten the plane, I`ve read up on them somewhat, And found out they were specifically designed for speed for planes in that class of planes, they were made lighter, have flush rivets steeper windscreen angles and other things, the glide rate is probably due to a semi-symmetrical wing design (another speed item) SO, maintaining proper speed is fairly critical on approach in order to avoid a stall, pipers and Cessna`s are usually a little more friendly in that dept.

This aircraft flies great, looks spectacular. Big problem I see is the brake setup. It seems to work well with the differential brake setup, however when I pull the elevator back it wants to stop on the nose wheel and it will flip over with just a little bit of throttle. Normally when brakes are attached to the elevator, pulling the stick back releases the brakes 100% and allows a normal takeoff roll. Here it locks the front wheel up and flips the aircraft over on it's back. To replicate what I'm seeing, simply spawn the aircraft, pull the elevator back and give a little bit of throttle.

https://youtu.be/hR8MjcGjj_c

There is a screen capture of what it does for me. It should be available soon.

Last edited:
It did the same thing for me the breaking definitely should have been different. Just because the real plane has differential breaking doesn't mean an RC plane should have it. Make the plane fly the best. The nose gear physics are also messed up, raise the gear while sitting still and the plane goes flat like it should. Then lower the gear and the plane spawns nose down because the nose gear physics are wrong. As in he didn't use the standard way of doing it so the plane works wrong in the simulator. The rules are there for a reason, so all planes will work the same in the simulator.

I thought it was personal preference. I didn't know there were rules. Lol

I suppose you'll be wanting a refund ... oh, wait.

I thought it was personal preference. I didn't know there were rules. Lol

I suppose you'll be wanting a refund ... oh, wait.

Sure there are rules they're in the G4 Artists Reference PDF file and the KE tutorials on line. And when you ask how to do it one of the modelers uploaded pictures showing you how. A personal preference is fine if it works, yours didn't work properly, and your attitude showed as soon as I mentioned it. Thus my attitude.

Sure there are rules they're in the G4 Artists Reference PDF file and the KE tutorials on line. And when you ask how to do it one of the modelers uploaded pictures showing you how. A personal preference is fine if it works, yours didn't work properly, and your attitude showed as soon as I mentioned it. Thus my attitude.
Flip, Rules are made to be broken, just like world records are there to be broken and challenged, if people didn`t try different things aka looking outside the box, we as a race, would still be living in the dark ages. You have to give Donomy credit for trying something different with this model, did it work for you, apparently not, I`m sure your opinion is welcome, but don`t be to critical, the modeler has free rein to do as he wishes with his model, and we as people that download any given model have the ability to use an editor to make said model more to our liking.

Back